General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 02:11 PM   #1  
Movin on down the scale

Default George Forman Grill

Well we open our gifts Christmas Eve at my house (family tradition). So this morning we opened gifts and my hubby got me the Family Size George Forman Grill. I had seen them a few times and thought it would be nice, but you know......(more crap to clean..lol)

I used it to make burgers for lunch, NOT BAD, I have to say. I think he actually did a good job getting me something with LITERALLY NO CLUE from me what I wanted!!!

So anyone else have one? What do you think of it? What do you cook on yours?
Old 12-24-2005, 02:19 PM   #2  

I love mine. It's kind of small though. I've had it for a few years and I use it for alot of things even bacon.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:38 PM   #3  
it's always something

I love mine, too! I also have ended up with a lot of gadgets that were more trouble than they were worth, but the GF grill is an exception. I particularly love to cook portabello mushrooms on it, for sandwiches.

I spent 6 months in a tiny apartment in a foreign country, and only had a tiny mini fridge, a microwave, and a George Foreman grill (they are everywhere, lol) and I figured out ways to grill potatoes, fish, etc. I even grilled vegetable chunks (zucchini, onions, cherry tomatoes, etc) that I marinated in a tomato dressing, and it was all yummy and super healthy.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:15 PM   #4  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

I got a George Foreman grill several years ago and it was a very worthy use of my $24.99. I use it to cook burgers , chicken , and fish (the mushroom idea that Suzanne has is a great one too!), and I even convinced my husband, who was then my long-distance boyfriend, to buy one. And now he tells all our friends to get them. So, yes, definitely a great gadget!
Old 12-25-2005, 05:37 AM   #5  

I bought mine on sale earlier in the year. I adore it!!! Burgers are a favourite of ours, but I use it a lot for chicken, pork steaks, fish (tuna and swordfish and also salmon are divine) and often do veggies, especially zucchini, onion and mushrooms.

I haven't found it a hassle to clean (although if you do fish it can be awkward to totally eradicate the fish smell)

I hardly bother doing steak on it though. We like medium rare and I find it cooks steak too quickly and too well.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:52 AM   #6  
Movin on down the scale

Cool!!! I am looking forward to getting to try cooking different things on it, but that will take awhile, since we will be eating at his moms for the next couple days, then it will be leftovers after that. But come New Year I will be giving mine a good work out!
Old 12-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #7  

Hey girlie! I actually have 2 Foremans! I have the "baby" colored one and the larger (countertop one). I love making grilled crunchy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and grilled tuna salad sandwiches on mine. I recently made fish on it and it was very tasty. All I did was season it with lemon pepper and grilled it for about 4 minutes. I mainly use the Foreman for grilling chicken. This may be TMI, but I only clean my Foreman once a week! I figure if I'm going to continue to cook the same thing on it the majority of the time, then why clean it??? This is in reference to my larger Foreman. I use the smaller one for grilled sandwiches. All that usually takes is a good wipe down with a damp cloth.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:59 AM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

I'm on my third Foreman and it's really grungy - also most of the nonstick coating has worn off! (they are a huge PITA to clean...IMO).

Almost time to buy something new...but instead of a Foreman I'm looking at that new Cuisinart Griddler. A bit pricier, but it seems to be more durable and versatile, better looking, *and* you can take the plates out and wash them in the dishwasher...
Old 12-28-2005, 12:29 PM   #9  

I have one and don't care for it. I find it dries food out, so I often end up cooking with the top up. I also hate how hard it is to clean. I think I'm going to buy a cast iron grill for the stove instead.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:34 PM   #10  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
I'm on my third Foreman and it's really grungy - also most of the nonstick coating has worn off! (they are a huge PITA to clean...IMO).

Almost time to buy something new...but instead of a Foreman I'm looking at that new Cuisinart Griddler. A bit pricier, but it seems to be more durable and versatile, better looking, *and* you can take the plates out and wash them in the dishwasher...
Mine isn't a George Foreman - the grills come out and can be washed in the dishwasher...I think it's a Black and Decker? I got it at Kmart for like 40 bucks in a half off sdale last year...IMO - removable grills are the way to go. BTW - this is my second grill....I use it all the time...grilled salmon, grilled veggies...and so on and so on...
Old 12-29-2005, 08:27 PM   #11  

We love our foreman grill. We have found it is easier to clean if you do it right after the food is off the grill. Just take your soapy cloth and wipe it clean. No scrubbing. And then rinse your cloth out and wipe 1 more time. Easy.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:21 PM   #12  
Movin on down the scale

Yeah I clean mine as soon as I am done, it isnt that hard. but I can imagine if I waited it would be more difficult. So far I like it a lot
Old 12-29-2005, 10:22 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I love my Foreman. I use it for everything. Hubby likes his steaks and burgers on it, and I grill my fish, chicken and veggies on it. I've had it for 2 or 3 years and not a bit of the coating has worn off...and I don't clean it until it's dried and hard. LOL How do I do that?...

Turn it on and let it heat up for about 20 seconds. Then use the plastic scraper that comes with it to loosen the grime. Then use an S.O.S. CleanRinse scrubber sponge. They're hard to find. Some Wal*Marts and Krogers carry them. They are plastic bristles instead of the general harsher scrubbers. Even the ones that say won't scratch most surfaces...they'll scratch. This one says "Safe For All Surfaces", and I find that to be true so far. I use it for all my Teflon products.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:13 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilla
I have one and don't care for it. I find it dries food out, so I often end up cooking with the top up. I also hate how hard it is to clean. I think I'm going to buy a cast iron grill for the stove instead.
That's the other problem I had with it - there's no adjustable thermostat!

Speaking of cast iron - I've pretty much switched over from nonstick pots and pans to good ol' cheap longlasting cast iron. If properly maintained and seasoned, it's just as good if not better than nonstick, IMO
Old 12-30-2005, 09:28 AM   #15  
Movin on down the scale

MrsJim, I LOVE cast Iron, but with my stovetop we cant use them. They are not recommended for it....I miss my CI cookware
Closed Thread