Old 12-23-2005, 12:02 PM   #1  

Default Calorie Queens!

I am starting this thread for anyone using the Calorie Queens plan.

The Calorie Queens plan is based on the book, Calorie Queens: Living Thin In A Fat World, written by Jackie Scott and Diane Scott Kellum, a mother daughter team who lost 100 and 200 pounds respectively.

The Calorie Queens plan is based on eating your maintenance level of calories to both lose and maintain your desired weight.

You take your desired weight, multiply by 12 and the resulting number is your calories (example: for a desired weight of 135, you would eat 1620 calories per day). This may have to be adjusted according to your individual body.

Please share in this thread how you are doing with the plan!
slimcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:10 PM   #2  

I picked up this book at my local Borders. After, I read the general premise and saw the amazing success Jackie and Diane had I just knew it was the right plan for me.

I have been following the plan using the Calorie King website to track calories. My goal is 135 so my calorie allotment is 1620. I generally try to eat a little bit less than that and bank the extra for one night where I have a few glasses of wine and a richer dinner.

Over the years I have tried many weight loss methods, but they have all been either too loose (eat as much as you want so long as you don't eat this or that) or too restrictive (too few calories).

I love this plan! I am finding it easy to record online with Calorie King and because I eat plenty of calories I am not hungry.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:21 PM   #3  
Movin on down the scale

I am waiting on my copy to arrive, I ordered it through Amazon
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #4  

Great! Let me know what you think. I have tried so many different things and not been successful. I am losing slowly but surely. This is something I can do. Likely because I have enough calories to play with..whereas other plans were to low calorie for me. So far I have lost 5 pounds. That may not seem like alot..but I never lose weight with anything cus I cant stick to it!
I just have that feeling that this is really it for me. I have stopped reading other diet books and given away quite a few of my diet books.....it's such a great sense of freedom!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:24 PM   #5  

Thank you for starting this thread! I'm going to use KimmyKat's idea: count WW points instead of calories. (I really like the fact that I won't have to measure Crystal Light, coffee, tea, etc.) I always suspected that WW point levels eventually got too low. Will enjoy seeing how everyone is doing. Thanks again!
2stubborn2giveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:43 PM   #6  

I tried WW and failed miserably at it. I think if you like the points system its fine..and you can easily convert to that if its easier for you. For myself I learn more with calories. It's more real to me when I use calories..ie I recognize for example that 7oz of a Tostito chips is almost 1,000 calories! So I am more likely to choose popcorn where I can have a lot more.
So I think its all what you feel comfortable with.
Definitely one of the reasons I failed on WW was because there was hardly any play in the points. At X amount of points it worked out to 1200 cals for me..that meant hardly any goodies! Not doable for a chocoholic who enjoys wine on weekends.
But if I had upped the points it may have worked.
Regardless I like the Calorie King for counting and Love the Calorie Queens method. I am so happy with this. Its like being at peace with the diet wars!
Old 12-26-2005, 09:22 AM   #7  

Thumbs up

Hi. Hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

Slimcharm - Thanks for telling us about this book. I really like it, too. Now that Christmas is over, I am really going to try to follow this approach. It makes a lot of sense to me.
wormtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:33 AM   #8  

I was down to my lowest weight in quite sometime Christmas Eve. Then on Christmas day I allowed myself a free day..and gained a little - hope its temporary..but for my weigh in today I was still down a pound. Which is amazing for me over the holdays.

BTW where did you come up with name wormtown?
Old 12-26-2005, 05:25 PM   #9  

Sounds like you did really well - that's great. I struggled, but today is much better.

Wormtown is a nickname for the city where I live - Worcester, MA. I think it came from some of the local music scene. Some of the locals think it is kind of insulting, but I think it's kind of .
Old 12-27-2005, 11:03 PM   #10  

What do you all think? Opinions... .Nothing has worked for me for weight loss except Calorie Queens.
I have a bunch of books like Body for Life (original) BFL for women, etc etc.

I keep thinking I will lose my weight and then or at some point use these programs to get pretty buff...(at one point I did workout for 2 years no misses..never got buff though cus I didnt eat right)

I was thinking about what the Calorie Queen ladies say..they say if you cant keep up or wont keep up with whatever it is..you wont do it.
I got to thinking I was not planning to do the BFL eating just exercise..but thats in doubt.

Do you think I should just once and for all give up the dream of that totally toned bod..and do Calorie Queens and walk and some exercise and enjoy a fit though not buff bod and get rid of all my diet/exercise books except that one?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:28 AM   #11  
Movin on down the scale

well my book showed up yesterday, so I am going to start reading it today
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:38 AM   #12  

Its pretty basic. You figure out the calories for your desired weight..multipy by 12 if you are inactive and stick to it. No secret.
But it was kinda like a light bulb for me. I mean bottomline if I cant stick to that calorie amount I am not going to suceed no matter what plan.
I do think the CQ ladies should have discussed a few other things more like how protein helps keep you on track..and some work on emotional eating. But they didnt and I knew all that anyway and so the book has been fantastic for me!
Old 12-28-2005, 09:38 AM   #13  

BTW cute cows!
Old 12-28-2005, 11:28 AM   #14  

HI Slimcharm. Good question about the exercise.

I had been walking this past summer and fall, and doing pretty well. I love to walk. I was thinking this is it. But once winter came, I just didn't get out, and I haven't been active.

I'm planning on getting back to the gym next week. I don't really like it; especially getting up and going out first thing in the am. I would much rather have a little time to get my thoughts together and have a good breakfast before work. BUT, if I don't do it first thing, the chances of me getting out later in the day are pretty slim.

I gave up on buff a long time ago . But, I'm at an age where I am getting worried about health issues. Like, I squat down, and it's hard to get back up without grabbing onto something . I don't want to get knee problems, and other health issues related to aging, that are made worse by extra pounds and inactivity.

Calorie Queens don't really talk much about exercise in the book. But, it is mentioned at times, in a way that sounds as though they spend a lot of time at the gym.

Eating well and getting enough exercise takes a lot of time and dedication. That might be my only gripe with the book....I think she makes it sound a little too easy.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:57 PM   #15  

"Like, I squat down, and it's hard to get back up without grabbing onto something ".....Ahh..I am sorry to hear that but starting to know what you mean!

Yes she does make it sound easy. She assumes that we are going to follow the plan for x amount of protein and x amount of carbs etc that she lists and does not take into consideration that many of us will just count and thats that.
She definitely should have mentioned in the book that protein helps one stay in control and focused more on exercise.

I guess I will never be buff either and thats ok..maybe I should just get rid of the books cus I feel they are bogging me down ..keep the CQ one and maybe a couple others and just walk and do a little weight lifting a few times a week.

hmmm...