Old 12-17-2005, 05:16 AM   #1  
Coop class of '82

Default New book for calorie counters!

I picked up a copy of "Calorie Queens; Living Thin in a Fat World" by Jackie Scott and Diane Scott Kellum at the library yesterday and I have FOUND my plan! What they suggest is finding out the maintenance calorie count for the weight you WANT to be and eat that much now and forever and you will get to that weight. For example, my goal is 165 lbs. 165 X 12 (inactive female, lowest factor) = approximately 1980 calories per day. Obviously this is NOT a quick weight loss plan but I figure they know what they're talking about as Jackie lost over 100 lbs and Diane over 200 lbs.

Personally, I plan to use WW Points, so that would be 38 points per day or approximately 1900 calories. With that and 30 minutes of walking per day, I figure I can reach my goal by my next birthday.

Oh, the formula for men is desired weight X 14
KimmyKat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 08:56 AM   #2  
Opulent

I'm going to look for this book at the library. Thanks!
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:29 AM   #3  

Hi. We just started talking about this book, over under general diet plans. I think it's very good. Meg gave some good links to the Maintenance forums, that provide info from folks on these boards who are maintaining. They are very helpful. I would paste the link, but I'm not sure how.

Maybe we should start a Calorie Queen Thread under Calorie Counters.
wormtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:31 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

How weird is this? I just went to Amazon.com and this book is already "out of print"... and the publisher date is November 2005! ?????

I also tried to look at my library's online catalog, but it is down until Dec. 19th. Rats!

Thanks for the info though! I'm looking forward to trying to find this book.

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:03 AM   #5  

I just ordered it last Thursday or Friday (after reading about it on 3fC) and it came Monday or Tuesday of this week. I just checked, and it seemed ok:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...lance&n=283155

It's only $9 or so.

There is also info on their site http://www.caloriequeens.com/ and you can order it thru their site.
wormtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 11:02 AM   #6  
Movin on down the scale

Yeah there was another post about it...I am thinking of switching to doing the higher cals for the remaining 20lbs. Since I am in NO RUSH at all to loose them...but I just really love this dietpro software that I use...

PS-anyone want to buy that software can get a $5 discount on it, just PM me for the details....thanks plus you get a 14 day free trial.
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:31 PM   #7  

KimmyKat:
Thank you for the info on the new book! (I just ordered it.) Re: WW points/calories. If found the following on Dotti's Weight Loss Zone site and thought it might be helpful. (Your idea sounds like a good one!)

20 points = 1150 calories
22 points = 1250 calories
24 points = 1350 calories
25 points = 1400 calories
26 points = 1450 calories
27 points = 1500 calories
28 points = 1550 calories
29 points = 1600 calories
31 points = 1700 calories
33 points = 1800 calories
35 points = 1900 calories (Flex Points)

This is not always true because of fat and fiber but it is close. Also the thing to remember is that it does not include the 200-250 calories a day W/W built into the program for free veggies and/or freebies that they give you (you know that one serving of sugar free jello or Cool Whip Free).

BTW this is what was in the leaders manual during the 1-2-3 Success Program:

18-25 points = 1050-1400 calories
20-27 points = 1150-1500 calories
22-29 points = 1250-1600 calories
24-31 points = 1350-1700 calories
26-33 points = 1450-1800 calories
28-35 points = 1550-1900 calories

And I redid the list to show no ranges.
2stubborn2giveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:58 PM   #8  

This is my plan too . I have been giving all my other diet books away..BYE BYE ..I wont miss them.
slimcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:59 PM   #9  

BTW I use CALORIE KING to record my calories. I have the software on my computer and also joined the forums ...you dont need both but I love it.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:29 AM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Hmm...it seems good in theory, but I have also seen a lot of resources that say to multiply your weight by 10 for an inactive lifestyle to find your maintenance calories. I also don't understand how this is different from counting calories normally, as in how would it be different from just eating, say, 1500 calories a day instead of 12 x 150 (if your goal weight is 150)? I've read so many times that when dieting, your body's metabolism can often adjust to the new amount of calories and stop losing weight. I guess I should read the book for the whole story...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:37 PM   #11  
Movin on down the scale

I just ordered it, I like to READ, so anything I can get my hands on, that may give me another piece of the "dieting puzzle" I will enjoy. I know that I am not DIETING this time...this is a way of life I can live with...
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:15 PM   #12  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

I started a thread somewhere on this book (but can't remember where LOL). It's a mother & daughter who wrote the book with the help of the husband who is an MD--so he kept them "honest" on the physiology. They do indicate that 12 cal/pound may not be right for everyone, but have some good science to suggest that is the case. I'm doing my counting a little different than them, but I'm tracking everything at this point in time and basically trying to find if--FOR ME-the 12 cal/pound is a reasonable estimate of what I'm burning (it's turning out to be). I eat below my maintenance level right now because I need to drop some weight a bit faster to make my hike next year w/o blowing out my knees

I find their approach refreshing and they do make the exceptionally valid point that if you calculate your maintenance calories and try it out and it is just not something you can live with long-term, well....then you have a problem and maybe you're aiming at too low a goal weight. Instead of presenting a "diet" they just give you your new lifestyle.
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:22 PM   #13  

Height: 5'6"

That is so weird. This is the link that I found when I searched Amazon.com and it still shows up as "out of print".. but I think this is for the hardcover edition.

out of print link

Thanks for posting the RIGHT link!!!

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:48 PM   #14  

That is odd...It was never published as a hardcover.

This is my plan also. I love it and what a thrill to get rid of most all of my other diet books.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:19 AM   #15  
Coop class of '82

2stubborn, THANKS for the Points info! Ok, I guess I'd better go with 35 points just to be safe.

Kimberly (oh what a nice name!), I think maybe the out of print book may be their self-published book.

Everyone, I got a nice email back from Jackie Scott in answer to some comments I sent and she said thier agent had a really hard time "selling" the book because everyone wants a gimmick, not a SENSIBLE plan. Sad huh.
KimmyKat63 is offline   Reply With Quote