Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 05:03 PM   #1  

Post Sharing My Recipes

Hi Everyone

I love to cook and hate to eat "boring" food or the same food over and over. So I thought I would start sharing some of my "modified" recipes and hope it will inspire others. After all that's why were are all here - for some support and inperation.

Just to let you know a bit about myself - I have been in my maintenace phase since about January. At my all time heaviest I was almost 160 (I am only 5'0!) and now weigh between 103 - 107 (depending on what kind of week I have had).

I will try to post something new everyday. Hope you enjoy and look forward to any of your suggestions.

So here is what I made as an entree for dinner last night:

Stuffed Roasted Red Peppers

makes 2 servings (you will see that most of my posts will be for 2 servings as it is just me and hubby and I try to avoid leftovers and they never seem to end up to be "left over"!)

2 large firm red peppers
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 large clove of garlic, chopped
1/3 cup long-grain rice
1 tsp ground cummin
2/3 cup water
1/2 tsp dried dill
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/3 cup FF or LF Feta cheese (optional)

Preheat broiler. Place peppers on a sheet pan and broil about 8 inches from the heat source, turning as they blister to roast on all sides. This should take 20 - 25 minutes. Remove and cool.

While peppers are roasting, cook onions with some cooking spray in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat until wilted. Add the garlic and stir for a minute. Add the rice and cumin and toss to combine in skillet. Pour in water and season with salt. Cover the skillet, lower heat, and cook rice until tender (if you are not sure of the timing - refer to the instructions on the box/bag of rice). All of the liquid should be absorbed. Remove from heat, mix in dill, parsley, and Feta (if using) and season to taste with salt and pepper (Note: if you are using Feta you may want to pass on the salt).

When peppers have cooled slightly, cut off their stems. Peel way their papper skins carefully so as not to tear the underlying flesh (this can be messy - so I normally get hubby to help here ) and reserve all their juices. Slit them once vertically and scrape out their seed with a spoon.

Preheat oven to 375F. Spray an ovenproof glass baking dish with cooking spray. Divide the rice mixture between the the peppers and fold close (if you can - I normally find they are so full that I just leave them lying flat - this is okay). Place side by side in the baking dish, seam side up (if you get them to close!) and pour the reserved juice over them. Cover dish loosely with aluminum foil and bake for about 20 - 30 minutes. Remove and cool slightly.
Old 07-02-2001, 05:52 PM   #2  

Default Baked Eggs in Zucchini

Here is what I made for breakfast this morning. BTW it is holiday today in Canada - so this would not be a typical weekday breakfast! It would also make a dish for brunch or even dinner.

Enjoy!
Tobey

Baked Eggs in Zucchini

makes 2 servings

2 cups zucchini (about 1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 eggs (if you are not eating whole eggs, liquid egg should work fine here - you just won't have the runny yolks to sop up with your toast - unbuttered diet bread of course!)
salt and pepper
1/4 cup shredded lite cheddar (optional)

Grate zucchini coarsely (do not peel). In a large bowl, toss with 1 tsp of salt and let rest for about 5 minutes. Take out zucchini by handfuls, squeezing gently to remove all excess water, and pile it on paper towels to drain. Zucchini prepared this way does not become soft or stewy when it is cooked. Meanwhile take the eggs from the fridge so they reach room temperature.

Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and cook chopped onion. After a few minutes add the zucchini and some fresh-ground pepper. Saute over med-high heat for about 8 minutes, stirring almost constantly.

Spray individual casseroles with non-stick spray. Divide the zucchini between them and make a shallow hollow in the centre of each one.

About 15 - 20 minutes before you want to serve, break 2 eggs carefully into each little casserole of zucchini (or pour in your liquid eqq replacement). Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper to taste. Bake then for about 15 minutes (350 degrees). The whites should be completely set and the yolks still a little soft inside.

Sprinkle with grated cheese (if using) when you take them out of the oven and serve immediately.
Old 07-03-2001, 07:23 PM   #3  

Default Eggplant Parmesan

Here is what we had for dinner tonight. I admit it is a lot of work but it is worth it! What I do is prepare everything on the weekend upto the final step and then just bake it on the night I want to serve.

Enjoy!

Tobey

Eggplant Parmesan

2 Generous Servings

1 small-medium eggplant
1 cup chopped onion
1 large clove garlic chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 Tbs chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp dried
1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
1/2 - 1 cup bread crumbs
2 oz lite mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated

Peel eggplant, then cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. Layer in colander, lightly sprinkling salt between layers. Place a 2- to 3- pound weight (i.e. pot of water or large can of beans) on top. Leave on 30 minutes or longer while eggplants drains, then rinse and pat dry.

Meanwhile, spray a large pot with cooking spray, add onions and cook stirring often, until softened, about 5 mins. Add garlic and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Season to taste with pepper. Add tomatoes, cover and cook over low heat 10 mins. Uncover pot, season with salt and simmer gently until sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Add herbs and simmer 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.

Preheat oven to 350F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Dip eggplant slices in water or broth and then in bread crumbs until well coated and arranged on prepared sheet. Bake until eggplant is tender and crumbs are crisp, about 30 mins.

Spray bottom and sides of square baking dish with cooking spray. Spread a thin layer of sauce on bottom and arrange half the eggplant slices on top. Scatter about 1/3 of mozzarella over eggplant, spread on a thicker layer of sauce. Repeat layers.

Cover and bake until heated through, about 30 mins. Uncover, sprinkle over remaining mozzarella and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 mins. Remove from oven, let stand a few minutes and serve hot.
Old 07-04-2001, 07:57 PM   #4  

Lightbulb Pasta Vegetable Toss

Tonight was a nice quick pasta dinner chocked full of good fresh summer veggies. The whole dish should take you less than 20 minutes to make. The trick is to chop the veggies while waiting for the water boil.

Enjoy!
Tobey

Pasta Vegetable Toss

2 Generous Servings

2 cups Rotini pasta
1 cup small broccoli florets
1 Sweet yellow pepper, chopped
1 Small onion chopped
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1 Large tomato
¼ cup Fresh basil, shredded
2 Tbsp lite Romano or Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)

Cook pasta in pot of boiling water for 6 minutes. Add broccoli, cook for 2 – 3 minutes or until pasta is tender but firm. Drain, reserve ¼ cup of the liquid; return pasta mixture to pot.
Meanwhile, spray a skillet with cooking spray and cook yellow pepper, onion and garlic for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Stir in reserved liquid, season with salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Pour over pasta mixture. Add tomatoes, basil, and cheese (if using); toss.
Old 07-07-2001, 02:53 PM   #5  

Lightbulb

Hi All

Sorry I missed a few days - I have been having some technical difficulties - so I have switched over to the laptop. I will try to get caught up today.

Enjoy
Tobey

Here is a super speedy high-protein lunch. It is good on its own or stuffed in a pita or on some rice.

Spiced Chickpeas

Spice mixture:
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

1 can chickpeas
1 Tbs brown sugar substitute (I like Sugar Twins version)
1 medium carrot grated
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 Tbs. lemon juice

In small bowl, combine items to make spice mixture.

Spray large skillett with cooking spray and heat over medium. Add spice mixture and cook, stirring constantly for about 15 seconds. Stir in 3 Tbs water. Stir in chickpeas.

Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 2 minutes, stirring once. Stir in brown sugar substitute, then carrots and onion. Cover and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat and mix in lemon juice.
Old 07-08-2001, 12:46 PM   #6  

Default Spinach Manicotti

I made this for my hubby the other day and he had no idea that it had tofu in it! Hope he doesn't read this!!!!

If you don't have a slow cooker / crock pot, you can bake this in the oven at 350F for about 45 minutes.

Enjoy!
Tobey

Spinach Manicotti

2 Servings

1 medium onion chopped
2 gloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
½ pound soft tofu (I prefer the “lite” silken variety)
5 oz spinach
2 Tbs grated Parmesan
Freshly ground pepper
6 dried manicotti shells
15 oz FF tomato sauce (I prefer to make my own)

In large slow cooker, combine onion, garlic, and herb seasoning. Mix well and set aside. In large bowl combine tofu, spinach, Parmesan, and pepper; mix well. With small spoon or pastry bag, stuff manicotti shells with tofu mixture.

Arrange stuffed manicotti in one or two layers over onion mixture in cooker; pour tomato sauce over top. Cover and cook at low setting until manicotti are tender when pierced (4-6 hours).
Old 07-11-2001, 09:01 PM   #7  

Default Lentil Soup

Here is a really easy soup recipe chocked full of healthy ingrediets. I like to make up all 4 servings and then freeze in individual serving sizes.

Lentil Soup

Makes 4 servings

1 onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup vegetable stock
19 oz can lentils
14 oz can tomatoes
½ tsp savory
½ tsp thyme
pepper to taste

Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray and sauté onion and garlic over medium heat. Then add carrots and cook for about 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

Enjoy
Tobey
Old 07-11-2001, 09:10 PM   #8  

Default Hummus

I love to make hummus for our picnics. I serve as a dip with some pita bread cut into triangles.

Enjoy
Tobey

2 Tbs tahini (this is a seame paste)
1/2 cup water
Juice of 1 or 2 lemons
3 cups cooked chick-peas (canned works very well here)
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
Salt to taste

Whip tahini, water, and juice of 1 lemon in a food processor (the mixture will thick like peanut butter). Add chickpeas, garlic and spices. Pulse on and off until chickpeas are mealy but not totally pureed. Adjust seasoning with salt and lemon juice.
Old 07-16-2001, 07:10 PM   #9  

Default Eggplant Caviar

Made a batch up last night for lunch at the office today - yum yum!

Enjoy
Tobey

New Orleans “Caviar”

Serve with melba toast or as a stuffing for celery or
tomatoes.

1 medium eggplant
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Louisiana hot sauce
salt
2 Tbs wine vinegar or lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350. Place whole eggplant on baking
sheet and bake for about 35 minutes or until the skins
are very dark and wrinkled. Remove from the oven and
cool to room temperature. Peel the skins away from
the eggplant and drain off any excess liquid. Roughly
cube the eggplant and pulse in food processor with
remaining ingredients.

Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:43 PM   #10  

Default Spinach, Orange, and Mozzarella Salad

Spinach, Orange and Mozzarella Salad

1 Serving

1 ½ cup of fresh baby spinach
1 orange, peeled and sliced very thin
1 oz lite Mozzarella cheese, sliced paper thin
2 tsp fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
salt

Toss all ingredients and drizzle with fresh orange or lemon juice (if you live in Canada, President Choice FF Citrus Basil dressing works extremely well with this!).
Old 07-19-2001, 09:09 PM   #11  

Default Black Bean Soup

Black Bean Soup

2 servings

1 cup onions, finally chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/8 tsp cayenne
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ cup water
14 oz can chopped tomatoes (do not drain)
16 oz can black beans (do not drain)
2 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped

Spray a pot with cooking spray and sauté onions, garlic, and cayenne for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Stir frequently. Add cumin, water, and canned tomatoes with juice. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer (still covered) for 5 minutes. Add beans with their liquid. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often. Add cilantro and remove from heat. Puree half of the soup in food processor or blender. Return to pot and reheat. If soup seems to thick, add in some additional water.
Old 07-21-2001, 04:01 PM   #12  

Default Rice Pudding

This good for either breakfast or dessert. Great way to use up leftover rice.

Rice Pudding

2 Servings

1 cup cooked rice
¼ cup raisins
½ tsp cinnamon
1 cup skim milk
1 Tbsp sweetener
½ vanilla

Preheat oven to 325. In a baking dish, mix rice, raisins, and cinnamon. Add milk, sweetener and vanilla. Gently stir. Bake for 15 minutes and stir. Bake for another 45 minutes or until the milk is nearly absorbed. Remove from oven – as pudding cools, rice will absorb any liquid that remains.

Serve either warm or chilled.
Old 12-25-2001, 09:04 AM   #13  

Hi
Just Wanted to say thanks for the recipes ,I look forward to giving them a try .
Old 01-18-2002, 10:42 AM   #14  

Default recipies

Thank you soo much for those recipies. I just started WW Tuesday Jan.15 and I have been attending the gym for almost 3 weeks now. Iam 5'2 and weight 160 so Iam ansious to loose some weight. So I have been looking for recipies all over the place and now that you are posting some great ones I don't have to go like crazy trying to figure it out what Iam going to cook every day. This is a great idea for you to give us some tips and cooking ideas. Don't stop doing it!.If by any chance I find some good ones I will post it for everyone. Thank you again.
Closed Thread