South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 01:44 PM   #1  
Kyemom

Default Butter

What kind of butter is SBD approved? I saw approved butter in a few of the recipes on the recipe pages.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:58 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Our recipe pages? It may be I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (ICBINB) which is actually a non-hydrogenated margarine.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

Land of LAkes makes a Light butter but I'm not sure it's SBD approved.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/164.8/135

Height: 5'3

I didn't think butter was allowed. I use the Brummel and Brummel and ICBINB Spray or Parkay Light Spray
Old 12-09-2005, 02:31 PM   #5  
Kyemom

what do you all use for baking?
Old 12-09-2005, 02:49 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

That's the thing, Kye. The non-hydrogenated margerines (Smart Balance, Benecol, etc.) have tons of water in them and they aren't recommended for baking.

In the realm of fats, you have:
  • Good Fats (Olive Oil, Canola Oil, etc.)
  • Medium/Not-So-Good Fats (Saturated Fats such as butter, the fat in meat, etc.)
  • Horrible-Don't-Touch-With-A-10-Foot-Pole!!! Fats (Trans Fats: Anything with the word 'hydrogenated' in it)

Even though Dr. A says that we are to limit the amount of saturated fat we take in, some is allowed. You'll certainly get more nutrition from a cheesestick than from enough butter to equal the amount of fat in a cheesestick, but the type of fat (saturated) is the same in each.

Therefore, in baking, whenever possible, try to use Good Fats. If that isn't possible, a compromise I've found is the Land 'O Lakes Light butter. It's part regular butter (saturated fat) and part canola oil (good fat). Sometimes, you're just going to have to go with the butter (in things where butter is the main flavor, like a pound cake or shortbread). In those cases, just limit how much you eat and make sure you eat less saturated fat in the rest of your food that day. So instead of a cheesestick (saturated fat) for snack, have some almonds (good fat) with your veggies. Okay?

No matter what, avoid the cursed trans fats. So no cooking with Crisco or lard. I'm not kidding here...one of the recipes I'm making calls for 2 Tbsp. of lard...it's a family recipe from DH, and his grandmother noted that the best thing to use is old bacon grease. Blech!!!

I also found some margarine in the health food section of my grocery store that is made with good fats, like canola, isn't hydrogenated, but is made for baking. Cool!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
old bacon grease
I used to keep a jar of bacon drippings in the fridge in my pre SBD days. Because it just gives some foods-like beans- a good flavor. DH couldn't ever understand why I'd get a pound of really fatty bacon and basically render the bacon until I could get all the fat and pour it into a jar for saving.

DGM always baked with lard, "you can't make a good pie crust without it." Well, since I can't make a good pie crust anyway....

I agree about the butter. Butter is an important part of some recipes and you can't replace it. It's best to make a small batch of what ever it is you are cooking, enjoy a serving and make presents of the rest.

Happy baking.
sarah
Old 12-12-2005, 11:06 AM   #8  
Kyemom

Thanks girls!!!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:09 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

My attitude towards baking is "No compromise" so I use real butter. Luckily I can resist the treats - as long as I don't have that first addictive bite.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:45 AM   #10  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

They make no-trans-fat Crisco now too--it is more expensive but I did buy some for my hubby's favorite pumpkin cookies (for his sake more than mine anyway! neither of us needs to be eating trans fats!).

Jessie
Closed Thread