South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #1  

Default looking for cookie recipes

I'm looking for sugar free/whole wheat cookie recipes. Anybody have any ideas. I searched the recipes section and didn't find any.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:35 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Proudmother, I'm making cookies for Christmas. I'm using recipe books, so I probably shouldn't post any of those on here for copyright violations. What I can do is post the substitutions I made and give you the cookbook name. I got all of mine from the local library and hopefully you can find them at yours. I can definitely post my family recipes that I'm modifying.

Here's what I tried to do: I looked for recipes that would be easy to modify. That meant that they were ones where WW flour wouldn't taste odd (sugar cookies might be weird, oatmeal based ones wouldn't, etc.), that didn't use ingredients that are hard to substitute (like corn syrup, marshmallow fluff, candied fruit, tons of powdered sugar, etc.), and that tended to be fairly healthy to begin with (using butter or good oils rather than Crisco or lard, etc.).

Then, I went through the recipes and plan to mostly substitute either WW flour or WW pastry flour (I also found "White Whole Wheat" flour at the grocery store today...it's made from whole grain white winter wheat and am interested in trying that) for most or all of the flour. If I make sugar cookies or something that seems to really need a little white flour, I may add in a 1/4 cup or less. I'll mostly substitute splenda for the sugar, but if there's brown sugar, I'll keep 1/4 cup or less in the recipe and sub a 1/2 and 1/2 splenda/SF maple syrup mixture to sweeten. I may add in a little SF syrup instead of splenda in recipes that call for a lot, as an article I read says that mixing your sweeteners can reduce the aftertaste. I'll try to avoid using butter, or use Land O' Lakes Light butter (which is mixed with canola oil) in place of some of it. I found a trans-fat free cooking margerine in the health food section of the grocery and will use that for recipes that call for margerine.

I'm going to try to make my own sweetened condensed milk with Splenda and Fat Free evaporated milk. I'm not entirely sure what I'll do...I'm going to look online and see what I can find out, then consult my mom. My FIL did something like this when making a Splenda cheesecake for his business and he said it worked well.

I'm excited to try all this...I'll let you know how it turns out!

Of course, if anyone has any recipes, please feel free to post them in the forum and then post a link to them in this thread.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:55 AM   #3  
Who needs sleep?

Make sure if you are substituting one fat (like margarine) for another (like butter) that you get one with about the same water-fat ratio. Spreads usually have more water and less fat, which is fine on toast but makes your cookies come out a little strange. You *can* do it, but you won't get the same results. Just a little heads up. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/164.8/135

Height: 5'3

Here is a link ( I hope it works, if not copy and paste) to a recipe I posted for Fat Free Evaporated Milk.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...65#post1038765
Old 12-09-2005, 02:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/164.8/135

Height: 5'3

Here is a link to a recipe for Sweetened Condensed Milk.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...74#post1038774
Old 12-09-2005, 02:43 PM   #6  

Here are some chocolate chip cookies and they are great, also including some recipies I have not tried but sound good. I tried the no bake cookies and they are ok but not great kind of pasty?

Whole Wheat Snickerdoodles
Servings: 36

Ingredients:
1/2 cup margarine
3/4 cup packed "brown sugar" (make out of splenda using method on Splenda's website http://www.splenda.com/recipe_detail...brownsugar.inc )
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons Splenda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
1. Cream margarine and "brown sugar" till fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Add dry ingredients.
2. Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in Splenda/cinnamon mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten slightly with a drinking glass.
3. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 8-10 minutes.

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4 cup Splenda
3/4 cup packed "brown sugar " (see above
1 cup margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)

1. Heat oven to 375ºF.
2. Mix "sugars", margarine, vanilla and egg in large bowl. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt (dough will be stiff). Stir in chocolate chips. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack.

PB&J Cookies
2 cups crunchy natural peanut butter
1 1/2 cups natural honey
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces jelly, any flavor (i use smuckers simply fruit, it has no added sugars)

Mix together peanut butter, honey, oil, and vanilla until completely incorporated.
In a separate bowl combine flour, wheat germ and salt. Add to peanut butter mixture, stirring until it makes a stiff dough. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
When dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a cookie sheet; set aside.
Form balls of about 2 tablespoons of dough and place them on cookie sheet. Flatten balls lightly with a fork. With your thumb, make a deep impression in the center of each cookie. Fill impressions with a dab of jelly.
Place cookie sheet on top rack of oven. Bake 8 to 12 minutes. Be careful not to over bake. Cool cookies before removing from cookie sheet.
Makes about 36 cookies

Last edited by surfer376; 12-09-2005 at 03:33 PM. Reason: lost mind
Old 12-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #7  

"Brown Sugar"

This recipe is designed to help you replace brown sugar in your dessert recipes.

Makes: enough to replace 1 cup standard brown sugar

1 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular
1/4 cup Sugar-Free Maple Syrup (made with SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener)

Pour ingredients into a small mixing bowl and mix well. Use as brown sugar in your favorite baked recipes where brown sugar is required. Makes 1/4 cup (enough to replace 1 cup of standard brown sugar).

Nutrition information per recipe

Serving size: 1 recipe (1/4 cup)

Total Calories 130

Calories from Fat 0

Total Fat 0 g

Saturated Fat 0 g

Cholesterol 0 mg

Sodium 100 mg

Total Carbohydrates 36 g

Dietary Fiber 0 g

Sugars 0 g

Protein 0 g

Exchanges Per Serving: 2 carbohydrates

This recipe, when compared to a full sugar version, has an 84% reduction in calories, an 83% reduction in carbohydrates and a 100% reduction in sugars!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:49 PM   #8  

Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
2-1/4 cups ww pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup smart balance margarine, softened
3/4 cup "brown sugar" (south beach style)
1/4 cup splenda
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant FF/SF vanilla pudding mix
2 eggs
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the margarine, "brown sugar", and splenda.
Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended.
Stir in the eggs and vanilla.
Blend in the flour mixture.
Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts.
Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.

** To make south beach brown sugar, combine 3/4 cup splenda with some SF maple syrup (about 1 tablespoon - I don't measure). Stir it and let it sit for a few minutes.

============================
I converted this recipe from allrecipes.com and they are delicious. The cookies are very moist and soft. I'm eating some at work now
Hmmm... I forgot one thing.....

Instead of using 1 cup of margarine, I used half cup of unsweetened apple sauce and half cup of margarine.
Southbeach-diet-plan
Old 12-09-2005, 02:53 PM   #9  

Slick’s Phase 2 Oatmeal cookies

1 Cup of Land-o-Lakes Soft Baking Butter (this is a new product made from canola oil & cream)
1 and 1/2 cups Splenda
2 eggs
1 Cup oat flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole grain oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Beat together butter and splenda until creamy
Add eggs and vanilla - beat well - set aside

Combine oat flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together - add to butter/sugar/egg mixture - mix well

Stir in whole grain oats and mini chocolate chips - mix well

Drop by rounded teaspoon onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet, flatten slightly and bake for 10 minutes.

Cool on paper towels
Southbeach-diet-plan
Old 12-09-2005, 02:56 PM   #10  

Make your own chocolate chips or order online (netrition .com) called MiniCarb Chocolate Chips
Melt one 1 oz. square of unsweetened chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds. Mix in a Tbs. of milk and a 1/2 cup of Splenda. Spread out on a flat dish, and freeze for 15 minutes. Scrape up the firm chocolate, and form into little chips. They're so tasty!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:56 PM   #11  

Have many more , not sure what you're looking for?
Chari
Old 12-09-2005, 02:56 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Vking, thank you for the recipes!

Great ideas, chicks!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #13  

Hi guys - just a little note here. Splenda has brown sugar now and it's really good. I'm also going to try these recipes. I make pecan tassies and I'm going to try it with light cream cheese and the brown sugar splenda. . .Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #14  

The Splenda Brown Sugar is not just Splenda. It has real sugar in it too. You would be better off using Splenda/SF maple sugar or Sugar Twin.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Yup, the Splenda Brown Sugar is actually a Brown Sugar Blend...like the regular Splenda Blend, it's half Splenda and half sugar, but in this case, the sugar is brown sugar.

It's not OP. You can do as Barb suggests, or you can try incorporating a small amount of brown sugar (so that you get a miniscule bit in each serving) when you think it's necessary for browning or to activate yeast, etc.
Closed Thread