Old 12-07-2005, 09:54 AM   #1  

Default Men's calorie intake?

Hubby has been very inspired by my weight lose he would like to cut back on his calories.. But, Im not sure how many he should take in. Since he is injuried his activity level will probably be low.
He's 6'1" and weighs roughly 240 lbs. He would like to drop at least 30 pounds.
He's already cutting back his pop from a 12 pack a day to 2 cans! I think he will be able to do this.
Jewelz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:10 AM   #2  
losin' it

you should check out nutridiary.com (maybe even fitday.com too). They will calculate your Basal metabolic rate (how much you burn without extra activity): a 6'1" male @ 240lbs and lightly active (Lightly Active: seated work with no option of moving around and little or no strenuous leisure activity) has a BMR of 2248. So technically he could maintain his weight without exercise att 2248 calories/day.

I've also seen the rule of 10 or 11... depending on who you ask Multiply your weight by 10, and that's how many calories you need to maintain. If he wants a 1 lb loss per week, he should drop 500 calories/day, and if he wants 2 lbs/ week, drop 1000 calories/day.

Hope that helps! Good luck~ you're hubby sounds dedicated already!
cagedjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #3  

I remember seeing that times by 10. I just didnt know if it was based on activity level. I do not do good figuring out calories per day! Guess its cause I just assumed mens intake was a bit different..
Good idea about putting it into fitday!! I got an account just for myself. I think Ill set him up one so I can log it all down for him.
Must be nice to intake all that! lol Though he does love food so that will not make him feel so starved.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Nutridiary (which my husband and I are using) says that at 242 pounds and lightly active he has a BMR of 2165, but it also adds calories for being lightly active (866), for a total to maintain of 3031 cals/day. BMR is only the calories just for existing.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:39 AM   #5  
Movin on down the scale

Man, my hubby EATS a LOT, he has a SUPER HIGH metabolism.... I swear must consume close to 4000 cals a day, he isnt super active, but he can sit and eat like 4 candy bars in a sitting. He loves to eat. And he isnt fat!!! GGRRRRR lol
He is 6'1" and 215lbs. He has a LARGE frame and barely any fat on him....im glad he doesnt have to worry but I am also jelous about it.....oh well.
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #6  

How fast does he want to lose weight? I would shoot for at least 1,000 cal below maintainance, and I fit pretty well with the 15Cal/pound estimate for my maintainance.

If he is like me and craves fast results than choose a bigger caloric deficit.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:26 PM   #7  

Hubby is large built as well, gonnalooseitagain.. He can fill a whole plate full of gravy and 4 slices of bread and still be hungry! lol
About the candybars... I hear ya! lol This man loves chocolate anything and always has to have some kind of form of sugar each day.

He would be able to handle 2000 cals a day, maybe even 1800. I do know if he gets to low he gets headaches (from observation).

Robert~ I think he would like to lose it by at least spring/summer. Men really are blessed in some aspects.. It doesnt take much for a weight lose at all. Ive seen hubby drop 10 pounds then hes back up 10 pounds lol. I just hope its not going to be to hard on him.

wyllenn~ Thank you, because I know hubby would love to see that. THere is days where he just sets (depending on how bad hes in pain) and there is others where he will be in town visiting. He doesnt have bad restrictions, but is disabled. So even light activity would be good to consider at this point.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #8  

If he eases into it he may adjust better. I am so used to being calorie deprived now that it doesn't really affect my weightlifting. After you adapt to running mainly on fat reserves and you don't feel so bad.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:10 PM   #9  

I have been using Fitday since September 6th. My average daily calorie burned has been 4,013. My average intake has been 2,378. So far I have lost 43.5 lbs (down from 222.5 to 179) in 94 days. But I also exercise.
ultraclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:24 AM   #10  

Thats what Im afraid of. Lack of exercise! I know my average burn was right at 1000-1500 with a cal intake of 1200. Just enough to burn what I ate. I will just have to find some really low impact stuff to start him out with. His chiropractor gave him exercises to do, so I might do those with him of the mornings (he hates to do them).

I would probably try to talk him into buying a pool to help burn calories. Ive heard its low impact and you can burn alot of calories.

You guys did AWSOME on your weight lose!! Hubby will be very encouraged to see your progress so far! He said he was going to start coming here for the support first part of Jan.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:26 PM   #11  

Jewelz,
With or without exercise strict calorie counting will get him skinny by summer if he sticks with it.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:59 AM   #12  

Thanks, Robert!