Old 12-05-2005, 09:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Default What types of things do you do as rewards for yourself?

Hey!

I am looking for little things to do as rewards for myself during different stages in my weight loss...preferably something that would be tangible, that I could look at and be like, "ok, that's encouraging" Like I read once that a woman's husband bought her thin gold bracelets every time she lost ten pounds. Of course, I dont wear bracelets, and I thought about ear piercings, but unless I want to set off radar detectors everywhere, that's a little ridiculous. So, any ideas? One other limiting issue....not much int he way of funds. I'm going for something every ten pounds, but I'm open to suggestion. And not food related! (I know, anything else I could add in there, right?)

I know the loss should be motivation enough, but sometimes you just need the added emphasis to keep yourself from doing something you'll wish you hadn't later.

Thanks

Vanessa
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:05 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I have a little reward for my mini goals. Mine were Crest white strips, Manicaure and pedicure, tanning, new shoes (not expensive ones), new pair of pants, and eventually (hopefully by summer) a nice new bathing suit. I also wanted good non food rewards that weren't too much $. I thought of stuff that I would like but would not normally get for myself. Little luxury items that make me feel good about myself, prettier and more feminine. Hope that helps a little.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:40 PM   #3  
No more fat mama!

I reward myself with a tan. If I workout and run, then I allow myself a tan. I don't want to buy clothes yet until all my weight is gone.
bearcatmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:41 PM   #4  
hara hachi bu

I'm a single parent and I work full time, so my favorite reward is time alone. I dedicate a Saturday afternoon to doing whatever strikes my fancy. I let nothing but my own imagination sway me. Most of the time I choose to go to a book store and sit and read, or bring my laptop to a nice wifi cafe. I try to choose activities that allow me to think about the reward ... "Wow, I lost ten pounds. I was ten pounds heavier the last time I came here. The next time I come here, I'll be down one size of jeans. The weight I lost is equivalent to 109 packs of Twinkies." That kind of stuff. It seems to help me realize what I did and emphasizes the importance of it.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

This is a good thread! I'm interested to see what all the replies are as I'd like to start incorporating inexpensive rewards too. I like the "feminine" one though. You know, I've NEVER gotten a manicure?
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:08 PM   #6  
Haley

I usually get a manicure/pedicure when I've been good for a long time with exercise and eating healthy. When I get to my goal, I'm splurging and getting a day at the spa!!
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

Hm interesting.
I am also curious to see what other ideas people come up with.
I do get a manicure and pedicure, in my line of work people often see my hands (Bus. Process Analyst) as I type and therefore I do maintain them nice and cut. Luckly it is not that expensive in California. I do twice a month for manicure and once every 3 weeks for pedicure. $30 for both.
I am not too much into creams and cosmetics as well jewlery, so not sure if that will inspire me. I do have plenty of clothes: current size, size bigger than me now, and for the next two sizes smaller than I am today.
Any other suggestions, I don't want to spend a lot, but perhaps every 30 pounds I could do something special.
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:24 AM   #8  

I always like to do little things along the way to keep motivated.

When I hit my goal I am going to get a tattoo and buy a nice new bathing suit. But as I go along, when I lose another 15 pounds, I am going to get my belly button pierced. I have done little things too, like every ten pounds, i will buy myself a new workout video or new workout clothes so that I still feel rewarded and even more motivated to continue.
lucky_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:00 AM   #9  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I'm going to get myself a manicure (I've never had one either!) at my next mini goal, and I also want some new running trousers, to keep myself motivated!

I sometimes buy CDs when I get to a significant goal, or a funky T-shirt, so I have a "12stone T-shirt" which reminds me how far I've come every time I wear it!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:54 AM   #10  
Mikey's girl

My rewards get bigger and better as they go.... first one was manicure
second one was new work out shoes
third new cute gym wear or cute gym bag
fourth IPOD
fifth day at spa, NEVER HAD IT DONE! and
somewhere in there I bought a tanning package
Or a night out with the girlies with a hot new outfit .... I could go on.. LOL
JustForUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:58 PM   #11  
Living the Laguna life...

I like to go out and buy clothes (usually a pair of pants or a skirt) that are a little snug so that I am motivated to lose another 10 pounds!
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:44 PM   #12  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I usually buy clothes. I started with ideas about a whole load of rewards, but just fitting into and buying those new clothes is usually enough, although I did get myself an iPod after my first stone (14lb). The other thing I treat myself with is holidays, but I tend to use them more as targets. I book the holiday and try to aim towards losing a certain amount before it. So far I've always managed it, and justified being a little more relaxed about my lifestyle while I'm away.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:55 PM   #13  
12 pounds lost in 2006

I'm a big shopper so clothes is my rewards. Usually a shirt to go clubbin' in or something of that sort. Oooh or shoes! I love shoes. My bf doesn't understand why a person needs so many pairs of black shoes. Men!
mocha74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #14  
one step at a time

I like getting gym stuff--a new workout shirt or pair of shorts. Knowing I have something great to wear to the gym makes it that much easier to get there!
HealthyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Ohh fun! Sorry this is giong to be long because I have lots of idea. I have specific rewards for diffeerent weights, like a massage, a tattoo, a new pair of jeans.

Also I reward myself with daily and weekly goals. I am a HUGE reader so I do things like 1 pageor minute of reading for each minute of working out (I have actually worked out in order to have time to finish a book). But this could equate to time doing anything...like alone time if you never get it. This goal is nice because no money involved if I go to the library. I have aet 100 pages for 1 hour of working out (I read about 100 pages an hour, ridiculous I know) so my time is about equal. But 2 pages for each additional minute (Bonus work out time so more incentive).

Also things like saving $1.00 for sticking to my cal plan for a day. Money for clothes or itunes. If you are trying to stretch you dollars you could equate like $1.00 or $2.00 per pound, 25 cents per day, whatever). This was inspired by the "Your weight in Quarters" episode of the Biggest Loser. Until I did some calculations and figured I couldn't afford that ($20 in quarters weighs 5 pounds. If I remember correctly)

If I don't miss any scheduled workouts for an entire week (Sat to Fri) I let myself leave work early an hour early on Fridays. This almost never happens though. Of course I have a nice flexible job where no one will complain and I have to make up the time later . But you could "save" up your time to take a vacation day for relaxation?

Keep the idea coming girls I am looking for a reward for a 5 pound loss which I am about to reach, and a 10 pound loss...coming soon. But don't want anything to big.
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote