Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-03-2005, 09:33 AM   #1  

Default Weight loss buddy needs help

I have started an exercise and diet program with my friend. She is 350 pounds and in a scooter. She is very limited to the exercises she can do. Her leg muscles are very weak because she has been in her scooter for 6 years now. She is determined to lose the weight but doesn't know what exercises to try at first. Are there any baby steps she can take to try and strengthen her legs and lost weight or is it hopeless because she is burning no calories in that scooter? Thanks for the help.
Elizabeth A Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:29 PM   #2  

leg raises should help strengthen her legs , if she can stand she can do limited squats , if can walk some that would be great too...
okie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:57 PM   #3  
finding the thin inside

Hey there, I just want to say you are awesome for trying to help your friend. =) Tai Chi might be something to consider as I know a lot of the exercises can be done while sitting. Maybe have her use a tension band perhaps. There is always a way. Many many people have been imobile and unable to get out of bed and have lost weight and regained their lives. It can be done!!!
RainyAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:29 PM   #4  

Wow, good for you for trying to help your pal. A suggestion (under the right circumstances) would be to walk or do gentle exercises in the pool. Alot of pools have lifts to assist people in and out of the pool, and the water would make her lighter. Obviously this is unsafe if she's unable to bear weight at all and completely depends on her circumstances, but I've seen people with disabilities exercising at the pool all the time.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote