Old 12-02-2005, 10:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/125/115

Height: 5'6

Question Just a little question

Hey everyone! I just had a small question. I recently added weight training to my normal cardio routine. There is only one bad side effect that I have noticed; a substantial increase in appetite. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, how should I combat it? Thanks
kobe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:23 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Yes, it definitely happens to me. I have to eat a little more the days I train. First off because your muscles need food (protein especially) to build more muscle and to repair. And second because you burn more calories you're more in deficit therefore you're more hungry. Even if you eat a little more, you won't be canceling the calorie burning benefits out at all, so don't worry about it too much. It ups your metabolism, so it's worth eating a little more.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #3  

Weight training burns a lot of energy! and also adding muscle , increases your daily energy usage (each pound of muscle you have , burns a set number of calores each day just by being on you) i don't know the exact figures, someone might know and post.

How to combat is would depend on
1. how many cals are you eating now?
2. do you plan to weight train on a regular basis?
If you plan to weight train regularrly i would increase what you are eating a little! add in a little more protein (helps build muscle)! try to have some protein at all your main meals (at least 3 times a day).
And if you are more hungry maybe your body needs a little bit more fuel?

I don't know if i have helped much ? i have weight trained in the past, and am starting to get back into it recently! i gained a lot of strength when i did, but since i didn't watch what i ate i think i stayed the same weight. (although surely i turned some fat into muscle) but i do remember that i felt goooooooood!!!!!!!!
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

What Stephanie said. I'd suggest eating something with protein in it immediately after your workout (like within 30 mins of finishing up). If I don't eat right after my workouts, I am starving all day long, especially on strenth days!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:20 PM   #5  
No more fat mama!

My dh lifts weights like crazy in the winter to prepare for the softball season. Strong forearms=more home runs. But anywhoo, he buys powder protein and has a shake as soon as he comes home from lifting cause the protein helps repair the muscles that he has just torn. Hope this helps!
bearcatmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:55 PM   #6  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Yup, I'd definitely agree that the only thing to do is to feed it That's probably the thing I like most about exercise, that it lets me have an excuse for giving in to my hunger! As long as you eat the right stuff, obviously...
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 164/125/115

Height: 5'6

Smile Thanks!

Okay, so now I don't feel like such a pig. I'm definitely going to eat something with protein in it within 30 minutes of lifting weights. Thanks everyone for your responses!!
kobe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:18 AM   #8  
Haley

I'm with paperclippy, I usually try to eat something with protein after my workouts.
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote