Old 12-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #1  

Question Hunger vs. appetite?

I've struggled the past two days with something weird. Don't know how to define it, except to say I've been hungry, but had no appetite. Nothing I made sounded good; nothing made me WANT to eat.

So I had trouble getting my calories in, which I realize sounds psychotic. Believe me, it's not usually a problem -- but I have had some emotional issues going on, and it really has affected my appetite.

Anyone else experienced something like this? I find it to be a struggle because I KNOW I have to get my minimum caloric intake (at LEAST 1100 calories) in order to keep my metabolism happy. If I go lower, things really shut down, and I won't lose, and may even gain weight. Optimal calorie balance for me seems to be between 1200-1300 cals per day.

Help? What do you do when you KNOW you're hungry, but the idea of food is not appetizing? Force yourself? Choose a couple of high-ticket items to boost your intake?
Janissa11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #2  
Movin on down the scale

I had that problem on Friday after Thanksgiving. I was under a lot of stress from the holiday and then we had a 2nd Thanksgiving on Saturday..so I think all day friday all I did was drink water, then around 6pm I got some hunger, but still didnt really want to eat, I forced myself to eat some dinner. The whole day I think I really only got about 400-500 calories...but then thursday I was over and saturday I was over, so they averaged out. So just remember if you go a day without eating much it isnt going to "crash" you metabolism, you would have to go a few days before it really has a serious effect on that. It is normal for the body to go through times like that. Dont worry unless it happens often or lasts more than 1-2 days. Good luck, been there.
GonnaLooseitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:11 PM   #3  

That does happen to me sometimes and it is wierd. I agree with GonnaloseIt that, unless it happens often, you shouldn't worry about it.

I do usually try to add in a couple of higher calorie snacks, though. Almonds are my favorite and peanut butter on a piece of fruit is a close second. Both are calorie dense enough to sustain me but aren't overly filling and are small enough in portion that I don't feel like I'm forcing down a lot of food that I don't really want. Cheese (full calorie/fat) is another good choice.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:01 PM   #4  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

I wish I could experience this when HEALTHY. I had it happen at the beginning of the year which when I lost the first 25 pounds off my high weight (and then maintained until I started to intentionally "diet" a few weeks ago). I had a major ovarian cyst rupture (not your "norm" ovarian cyst I guess) and anyway, I COMPLETELY lost my appetite for weeks. I finally started counting calories with the goal to FORCE myself to consume 1,000 calories in a day and damn, it was hard. Dang, those were the days when I had to search out HIGH cal alternatives because I couldn't hold much food. My best bet then though to balance nutrition (somewhat) and my inability to eat was to drink Ensure (they even have a higher calorie alternative, but...it's mostly corn syrup) and Clif Bars (pick your favorite energy bar flavor). Oh...and drinkable yogurts.

I did fix a couple ounces of spaghetti 2 nights ago and it sat there on my plate. I age a forkful and for some reason was just TOTALLY turned off by it so tossed it (it had sounded SO good because I was beyond hungry after my workout and I had the calories to eat it).
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:21 AM   #5  

My minimum daily intake is 1200 (I normally aim for 1540-1650). If I'm just not eating one day and end up low (which is pretty rare), I find it easiest to add in beverages that have some nutritional value - a nonfat latte (dairy/calcium), orange juice, something like that [If it's a really sucky day, sometimes a beer can have benefits!]. You can easily get 200 or 300 calories from one of those. Those lowfat pudding snack cups (100-150 calories each) are also not too bad and easy for me to eat even when not feeling like eating.
oliviacw is offline   Reply With Quote