Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 08:21 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL #231 Nove 28 - Dec 4

Good morning LWL!

Today is "back on track" Monday for me. Hmmmm....have we heard this before? My plan is eating clean, no unscheduled junk eating. I'll worry about the calories and start measuring on Wednesday, but just getting back to clean and getting rid of the nightly munching will be a victory.

Chest and cardio planned, I'm off to the gym

Mel
Old 11-28-2005, 08:30 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I just went out and ran in my lunch hour! This is HUGE! It is a huge huge huge great big accomplishment! I was worried people would laugh, I was worried people would take the p, worried that people might comment if I only went once and never again. Well, guess what, no-one even noticed I was out! I did day 1, week 3 of couch to 5k, I pushed myself really hard to complete it, I just skived 1 min 10secs of running, but I can faithfully say I tried really really hard today. Did I say this was huge? Oh yeah, and the sun shone just for me!

Okay, so rest of the day I have to make sure I eat my tuna thing (I've never had tuna before and when I did have the tinned stuff on my plate, I thought it just smelled too fishy! But I've drowned this tuna in soy sauce!) for lunch and my salad later on and have something good and healthy for dinner (perhaps chicken). Then I have to get on and do my weights (which is the easy part!) tonight and I'm going to be one seriously happy camper! And guess what - those carb cravings have dissapeared since I got out in the sun!

Oh boy do I feel good *gush*
Old 11-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #3  
Mel

2F, I feel good just reading your post!

(clean eats so far for me! That's huge, too)

Mel
Old 11-28-2005, 04:14 PM   #4  

I need some more clarification about "clean eating". Is it avoiding processed food? Keeping all grains whole grains? No red meat?

Seeking answers!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:14 PM   #5  

I need some more clarification about "clean eating". Is it avoiding processed food? Keeping all grains whole grains? No red meat?

Seeking answers!
Old 11-28-2005, 05:35 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Elana, I'm not a expert, but I'd say all or some of the above! Everyone has their own definition of "clean."

I'm finding it hard to settle at work after 4 days off! My arms are finally less sore after all the shoveling I did. Good thing, as I intend to work them tonight My other plan is push things a little more. The scale has stalled on me for the past couple weeks, and I need to get it moving - down of course! I found out from a friend that there is now a place offering spinning classes in town, so I may check them out. A chain gym has a sign up in an empty storefront in the mall (the only 1 in town, and it barely qualifies!). I've heard various rumors about what kind of facility they're putting in though - just minimal equipment and no showers - is the most frequent.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:47 PM   #7  

Hi,

I had a nice trip to USA this weekend with my teen daughter with the purpose of shopping. Those who do not have little kids will not understand me, but it was first time in 8 years that I went shopping without thoughts in the back of my mind about how quickly to get to the washroom, how to avoid food court with all the junk food, etc. Despite waiting on the border for 2 hours, trip was awesome! One of the highlights of the trip was (beleive it or not) the difference in sizes between Canada and States. I usually wear size 8 here, and sometimes when I really do care I can tightly insert my bottom into size 6 jeans however I can not sit in them for extended periods of time. In States however size 6 was too wide!!! I bought myself size 4 jeans !!! I even came home and tried my old jeans at home and no, I did not magically srank - it is just the States have their "fatter" sizes... My DD BTW ended up in size 0 and it was loose on her - so we were laughing that they have to invent negative sizes for those who actually stay slim - he-he

Yesterday did home reno project of taking off wall paper from the wall... tell you - that's a good upper body workout, my arms are still hurting

Plan to do UBW tomorrow if the snow in the forecast will let me make it to the gym or to work for that matter.

Sandy.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:21 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Back on plan tomorrow for me "clean" eats for sure!!! 2F you have motivated me too... Sunday and today have been BAAAAAD!!! And it wasn't even Thanksgiving around here I have no excuse! Eating badly makes me tired though I feel exhausted tonight!

Elana -- "clean" eats for me means all unprocessed foods, no breads, 5 meals of a protein and a carb every 3 hours, usually no carbs in meal 5... I eat oatmeal, eggwhites, whey protein powder, brown rice, lean meats, chicken breast, tuna...Oh and no sugar...

2F -- I'm not fussy for tuna either but I mix it with real mayonnaise, just 1 tablespoon and dill pickles or relish although relish has sugar in it...

I didn't exercise today but I had a great run yesterday and I will do legs tomorrow and run tomorrow night!!
Old 11-28-2005, 08:48 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

2F -- I just thought of my favorite way to eat tuna is making tuna patties. I take about half a cup of tuna 2 egg whites or one egg 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs, I use Italian flavoured ones because they have flavouring already in them. Mix the whole mess up and make 2 patties and have that for lunch with or in my salad...
Old 11-29-2005, 04:11 AM   #10  
aka Superwoman!

Hello y'all! I got home and tidied the kitchen and did ALL the humungous pile of washing up that had accumulated (we ran out of bowls and cutlery there was so much!) I felt so energised after my run! *gush* I usually just get my weights out of the way then slob out!

I did my leg weights too, but they were a bit below par because my legs were sore from running! I still managed to do quite a bit though! I had a really great "clean" day yesterday, not even my daily 1 tiny piece of chocolate! Well actually, I had about 2 tablespoons of custard which was a dirty eat but it tasted so good! I was getting hungry and I've been craving fruit crumble and custard and pie and all things hot and stodgy, so last night I decided to put rhubarb and apple in the microwave, with a smidge of ginger and a smidge of brown sugar, then I whacked a little bit of custard on the top and I hardly missed the crumble topping! I'm going to be eating that lots although I'm going to wean myself off the custard till I can just eat the fruit by itself!

I have a lovely chicken stir fry for lunch and a nice salad and a sweet potato for snacks! Then kickboxing tonight which I'm really looking forward too, since I'm feeling a lot less jet-lagged now!

Hope everyone has a great day with clean eats and lots of working out! We can do this!
Old 11-29-2005, 07:03 AM   #11  

Hi LWL,

2F, Ilene, Mel, Sashenka, Pat - Just reading your posts perks me up!

I am really tired this morning as i went to work for the 2nd morning in a running. I am building up stamina to get back to a more or less normal job (after burnout of 1.5 year) and it is really building up slowly!. Sofar i have managed to tstretch my 2 x 2 hours into 2 x 4 hours 9although the last half huor is really difficult) and today I did 3 hours after yesterdays 4 hours. I am going to have a nap after this post !

On the XH front things are moving along in a very slow manner. Tomorrow we are at the therapist again on the issue of the children visiting him with/without his NL around. The kids have now written down what they want ( which is no NL for the next half to one year), and I sincerely hope this willget into his thick head. Unfortunately, XH lives on a different planet at present. He hopes that we all (including myself and the children) will embrace his NL and of course I myself do not want to and the children are not ready for that either.

On the plus side he has consented to me taking the children to see my cousin in california this summer ! so I have booked tickets today, and I hope i will be used to the idea once we fly. it's only in Jule but it gives us something to look foreward to.

Have a nice day all,
rabbit
Old 11-29-2005, 07:52 AM   #12  

Hi all - din't mean to slip into "lurk", but sometimes things happen. Thank you all for your words of encouragement. Yesterday was a "bad" day, and I think I am learning to see those when I wake up. It didn't stop me from anything I had on my 'to do" list, and I sure paid for it, but this is progress. TG was hard for a lot of reasons, but I made it through. Fri I tried the treadmill and had a lot of balance and foot drag, so stopped after 30 min. Sat I went out for a two hour walk and during the second hour tried to "race walk" the best I could. It pushed my heart rate and I felt pretty good at the end (and a negative split to boot, too). So, Sandy, thanks for encouraging me to keep trying to find that cardio "sweet spot". I am willing to try spinning, but the classes at my gym are after 5, and that is too late for me. Pat, I hear you on the Low Fat recommendation for MS, and that is right in line with both what the dietician said as well as how I have been eating when I have been "clean" for the last two years. Nice to know we are doing this right. I know, according to a study or something I read that I can't quote right now, that diet is 80% of this journey and exercise is 20%. As hard as I push and beat myself up for not being where I "was" gym wise, it comes down to what I chose to put in my mouth and what I leave in the store. Each day I am getting better and the 7 pounds I gained over the past two months are now 5. Slow, steady, progress. I leave for Las Vegas Thurs, plan on doing at least 45 min of cardio every day (in addition to spa treatments , of course), eat carefully at fabulous restaurants, pass on the garbage, walk everywhere, and still come home the same weight. It has worked for me before, we will see what happens this time.

My weight workouts are back on track - I have control back on all the moves, now need to get weight levels and speed back. I have started with a new Pilates instructor (2nd session today) and hope to start back to yoga after the first of the year. I am also going to look more into this race walking and swimming. I KNOW my perfect cardio is out there ....

Sandy - bathrooms and food court locations and emergency plans in malls have nothing to do with children, or I am still a child myself

2F - you are like the energizer bunny, keep it up - it pushes me out the door. And i am going to have to try soy on tuna. Sounds yummy.

rabbit - you are doing a great job - stick by your guns, take care of yourself and pull on that amazign inner strength you have. It may not be clear to you, but it is to us. You are keeping yourself and children save and realizing that you do not have to accept what XL hands you, that you make these decisions. Do you know what a powerful lesson that is to your children? Believe it or not, your story and daily movements keep me going and willing to deal with mine. Thank you ... We wll get through these thing together - ALL of us LWL.

Mel, Ilene, Tiki, Sandy, Pat, rabbit, 2F and everyone else, I love having you as my personal coaches. We will figure this out together, as no one in the MS on-lne community (that I have found) seems interested in anything more than "walk 30 min a day 3x a week". Not to disparage that - 3 days a week would be good for me right now, but only right now. I will get back to where I was, with all my LWL beside me. *hugs*
Old 11-29-2005, 08:15 AM   #13  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenuw
Hi all - didn't mean to slip into "lurk", but sometimes things happen.
Hear, hear! Thanks, Ellen, for making me post. There's been a lot happening. Nothing dreadful, thank goodness, and some exciting bits.

Two things for now. This morning I endured a short lecturette about healthy eating from my GP. Stick-thin, probably always has been. She did not listen to me, made me feel dreadful, and was no use at all. My side of the story is that I have had a very bad year (illness and injury), and eat a bit too much (of extremely healthy food). I'm trying very hard, go to the gymn three times a week, fit in as much cardio, walking, etc as I can. It was not an empowering session and I feel terrible. [insert bad words of your choice here.] Please encourage me!

Second thing is something Ellen said a week or so ago about fatigue, and getting up in the night to go to the loo (N American readers: I think that's the bathroom in your lingo). As you know, I struggle with tiredness quite a lot, and I also get up to go, especially if I'm disturbed. Broken sleep is the very worst for me as I'm not making the most of the hours of sleep I'm getting. One solution: stop having to get up in the night! Train the pelvic floor muscles like I'm training the other muscles. Be rigorous. Be disciplined. I think I read that yoga engages these muscles for most exercises. I'm sure Sandi knows. What do you think? Ellen: would it help you? Should we all go for that pelvic floor??

Rabbit, you are doing very well. Keep at it, woman. Step by step.

Everyone, thanks for being here. Your words really help. And isn't it amazing how people's personalities shine through the screen?

Love, Silverbirch.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:39 AM   #14  
aka Superwoman!

for Everyone! Specially Ellen , silverbirch and rabbit!

Ellen, you are doing so well figuring out your "new running" and getting back on track with things, an inspiration - truly.

Rabbit, glad you are concentrating on things other than XH and that that side of things is slowly coming together.

Silverbirch, doctors can be the WORST and as for a lecture, gimme a break, I probably would've walked out! I think the pelvic floor thing is also a good idea, perhaps try cutting out/down on caffine (if you do drink the stuff) so that you're not "over producing" to make you want to get up in the middle of the night

Mel, well done for eating clean I sometimes forget that you have trouble along with us "losers" I so often think of you as a pro! Being a maintainer and a PT! I know you're mortal too though

Pat and Ilene, join me on the clean wagon, it tastes nice here!

: everyone else!
Old 11-29-2005, 08:52 AM   #15  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

2F - thanks, you're a pal! Caffeine! I only have two cups of coffee in the morning and most definitely nothing in the afternoon. No junk soft drinks here, nor strong tea. I'm very sensitive, you know! Btw, very good going indeed on the running. Careful on those pavements, you fitness fanatic, you.
Closed Thread