Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 08:56 AM   #1  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Smile Turtles #147! Holly, mistletoe, Christmas trees and menorahs!

We are the Turtle Group here at 3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration, we use the race betweeen the turtle and the hare. The turtle was the victor because he didn't give up and maintained a slow, but steady pace. We believe in keepin' on even if the going gets tough. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
(for Lin and Lauren)
Old 11-26-2005, 10:53 AM   #2  

Morning Judy! Thanks for starting another one--we seem to be very chatty lately!

I have plans in about 45 minutes to see a friend I haven't seen in a month. She wants to go for a "stroll, not a walk" along the ocean. I know that isn't going to be intense enough to count as a workout, so I planned to get up early this morning and do a workout, then go meet her.

I woke up at about 5. Groovy.

Put my clothes on, can't find my iPod. Have to wake hubby up to find the iPod. Fine. He goes back to sleep, I get my earphones hooked up, start my playlist, open the back door and cross the carport.

It's raining. Well, fine then!

Turn back to the house, grab my keys, go to the gym instead.

Walk in the front door of the gym, water's in the car. Argh. I leave it and go to a treadmill.

Halfway through my warm-up walk my iPod dies. Hubby forgot to set it back on the charger last night when he was done with it. Argh. Briefly debate cutting the workout short but resolutely continue. I finished 30 minutes walking with 1.70 miles--yay me!

Go over to do lower body. Weight room is empty, groovy. Get through that part of my workout, do my stretching, start to walk across the room again toward the door.

Heel hurts. What? Take my shoe off and discover that I've worked a blister on my heel. How? Look at my shoes and realize I put on my OLD shoes, not the new[er] pair. Argh.

Come home, still have to call my friend and confirm plans. With my luck today, she'll probably cancel on me!

But I did my workout anyway, in spite of it all. Yay me!
Old 11-26-2005, 02:00 PM   #3  
Chick

Hey Mousie,
An adventure like that and you still got your exercise in! Weigh to go. I really believe that's why we're called Turtles.
Love,
Judy
Old 11-28-2005, 04:12 PM   #4  
Chick

Okay Turtles,
Please yell at me nicely. I had trouble on Saturday and overate, then yesterday wasn't great and I'm heading in the wrong direction today. Lots of stress from the Thanksgiving get together and company that stayed for several days. I just need someone to remind me that I do best when I don't stray from Core. That when I eat sugar, I crave sugar. And I need to exercise even when I'm too tired. Okay, now I've got it.

Best wishes and : to us all. Granny, what would you like to say?
Judy Itry
234.6/203.2/thinner into onederland
Old 11-28-2005, 07:42 PM   #5  

My dear Judy! You don't need us to yell at you, however nicely! You've got it in yourself to make the best decisions, because you know your body and you know what it responds to. You also have the strength and the determination to make those decisions and stand by them. Your cravings for sugar are just body chemistry--ride them out and they will end, I promise.

In the meantime, maybe that treadmill with the new belt needs to be broken in and punched a bit, eh?
Old 11-29-2005, 09:33 AM   #6  
Chick

Mousie, Thanks so much. Yes, I rode out the cravings (and I'm surprised at how quickly the cravings come back and how strong they are). Now my water retention weight is dropping and if I get on my brand new treadmill today and if I get in a quick yoga set, I stand a chance of staying even or dropping a fraction of a pound at my official WI on Wednesday.

I think it's so funny that you're talking about punching my treadmill. The one that was the best price at Sears was a treadmill that has thingies attached so I can move my arms as I walk. That's not far from getting a workout from punching the treadmill. I'm sleepy this morning and not off to an auspicious start, but food is good, food last night was good and I have to keep on telling myself meal by meal into onederland.
This group is great and I us all. Granny, let us hear from you. Bandit, how's everything going? I know your weekends are quite busy. My Thanksgiving was nice, but hectic. I'm looking forward to a quiet week.
Love to you all,
Judy Itry
Old 11-29-2005, 01:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Judy - "Just Do It"

I am fine - busy weekend. Got my kitchen & liv room blinds & toppers downl, washed & put back up. So that is a good job done before Christmas.

Did my work out last night & went tanning. Weekend eating wasn't great. Ended up having brunch before we went swimming and ate way too much. I have to get over the "special treat" thing because we have alot of social outtings.

Am going to Niagara Falls next Wednesday - having a nice dinner, gambling and sleepover then we are heading to Kentucky for 4 days. So will be in hotel eating all meals for 5 days.

That will be a challenge for sure. But will pack swimming suit, workout clothes and running shoes & plan on getting exercise of some kind everyday.
Also will have some healthy snacks in room.

Sounds like everyone is doing well. Take care & talk soon.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:16 PM   #8  
Chick

Bandit,
Thanks for the "just do it" reminder. You're right. Sometimes it's just plain silly to make a mountain out of a molehill. Doing it meal after meal, snack after snack leads to less weight and that's what I want. thanks for the good advice.
You really are busy with lots of social activities. I know a lot of people would envy you, but along with the fun are the endless temptations to eat and drink more than you want. I'm sending you : and to stay on program and get all your exercise in. You're smart and dedicated to bring along your workout gear!!!!
Mousie, how's everything?
All here is good. I went to my WW's mtg. today. I'm up about 1.6#, but know it's just temporary. Yesterday I was fine, but I had more bread than I should on Core and some salty stuff. Today I got in yoga and 1 mile on the treadmill and my food has been great. I'm tempted to eat something off Core, but my WW's leader had a great idea. She said to keep the days thata are not holidays "pure". By that she meant for Core people to stay on Core and save their WPAs for other times. In Flex, she meant for people to stay within their point range. I get it! Save up for the impossibly merry times and stay cool the other days. Not each one of the upcoming 25 days of December will have temptations and tough going. We can do this!!!!
Judy Itry
234.6/204.8/thinner into onderland
Old 12-01-2005, 12:55 AM   #9  

Ah, Turtles, been so busy! I'm starting to feel really frazzled, it's time to pay attention to downtime again.

Judy, I'm sure your small gain is just a blip. It'll be off next week.

Bandit, 5 days in a hotel is a challenge! But I'm sure you can make good decisions. And you'll be right back to your routine when you get home. Maybe a break will even be a good thing, shake things up a bit!

In addition to being stressed, I've been dealing with doctors. I had a donut on saturday, "in addtion to" (not in place of) my regular meals. The reaction of my body was NOT pretty. Within an hour I had a headache, blurry vision, shaky hands, dizziness...the works. So I did some reading and some research, and called my Ob/Gyn to ask about PCOS.

We determined that I possibly have the insulin resistance that often comes with PCOS, but I'm already doing the things she would tell me to do (take the pill and exercise regularly) to manage "gender" hormones. Since we don't want kids, whether or not I have the infertility that comes with PCOS is a moot point. Anyway, I called and got in to my primary care doctor to talk about insulin sensitivity.

So this morning I went and talked to her. She agreed that if this is happening in the background we need to know, and we need to monitor. I have high blood pressure, which could be just because of my weight, but is an indicator that something is going wrong. She sent me to the lab and they took 7 (!!!!) vials of blood. On friday I'll get:

*cholesterol
*triglycerides
*fasting glucose
*lipids
*testosterone
*liver function
*kindney function

Bleh! But at least she's taking me seriously, and is working with me to figure out what's going on. I REALLY don't want to develop diabetes, and if I have to be more aggressive about ensuring that I don't, then I'll be more aggressive.

So I get those results friday. If anything is "off" then she wants to see me back in two months. If everything's okay, she wants me back in 6 months--so she's not just letting this fade into the background! Yay!

I've been reading a lot about insulin resistance, and it looks like some variation of a low carb diet is a good solution. So I'm not going "extreme", per se--veggies are still definitely on the menu! But I'm being very careful with baked goods and other starchy foods, and I'm asking myself if my body can use each food before I eat it. So far, so good. I'll let you know what the results are on friday!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:17 AM   #10  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Mousie,
I hope you get good news from your doctor on Friday. Let us know how you made out. The blood tests seem very thorough and I your doctor for not trying to talk you out of this, but investigating it.
All goes well here. I plan to get some shopping and cleaning and grocery shopping done. Well, I may not get all that done, but the thought is good.
I also want back on the treadmill and yoga. Everybody have a good day.
Love,
Judy Itry
Old 12-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi turtles:

Stayed the same at my w/i last night - so that was good since I had some choc cake & pizzar (one of the girls left work on maternity leave) but have been getting in my swims & exercise, so that is really helping stay on track.

This weekend have to get outside of house decorated & my tree up, since I go away and will miss next weekend altogether. But the inside is all cleaned so I should have more time to spend outside. Then I will feel more like shopping and hopefully get some done down in Kentucky.

Sunday I have brunch with Santa - bf is taking his daughter's family with her 2 little ones. We have been doing this for the last 3 years & it is really fun to see all the kids & it is at a really nice golf club.

Anyway, have a great weekend.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:14 AM   #12  
Chick

Bandit, weigh to go at your WI.
Sounds like you are very busy and still trying to take care of yourself. Have a wonderful time this weekend, enjoy the Kentucky trip, and get in some shopping so you won't have chaos about the holidays. Then come home and reward yourself with a :. Sounds so easy doesn't it? I really am sending you : Have a great trip.
Mousie, today's the day you get your medical results. I've got my fingers crossed for you.
Today I am determined to make it a good day. I got a lot of shopping in yesterday, went out to dinner (thought I made a wise choice), and enjoyed a night out looking at Christmas lights at the ocean. It's a display of all sorts of colored lights shaped into holiday themes (12 Days of Christmas, etc.) and really is very pretty. We all had fun: dd, db, dh, and me.
Have a great weekend and let's all watch out for BLT's.
Love,
Judy
Old 12-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #13  

Bandit, way to go maintaining with pizza and chocolate cake! Those two are foods I can *count* on (no pun intended) to push me up! It sounds like the holiday season is picking up for you. Remember to concentrate on what means the most to you--whatever that is--and you'll have a great season.

Judy, thank you for the crossed fingers! I can't call yet, I've got to wait about 4 hours. YIPES! In some odd way I hope this is what's wrong--because at least then I can adddress it, and doctors will take me seriously!

I weighed in this morning and I'm at 281.0. This is 2.5 pounds lighter than my "weighed after I had breakfast last week" weight. I'm back to 13 pounds down, too! Slow but steady, slow but steady...turtlin' right along!

I'll come back once I get my results, Turtles, and let you know what's going on. I'll see you all in a bit.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #14  

Okay, Turtles. Got my results.

Triglycerides, fasting glucose, and thyroid are all normal. Cholesterol is horrible, 228. That's nearly 60 POINTS MORE than it was last year when I got tested!! I'm flabbergasted, and honestly don't know what on earth I did to deserve that. But anyway.

Microalbumin (kidney function) was just listed as "please call". So that's got me all worried. I have a call into the doctor and she will call me back, but "most likely not until monday". So I get to fret until monday!

I don't honestly know what that means...microalbumin...but the research I've done on the net says that it's a measure of protein in the urine and is an indicator of kidney disease, that often comes with Diabetes II. Kidney disease??? ARGH!

Not going to stress it. Not going to worry. Breathing...I'm breathing...argh, anyway.

So that's where I am, Turtles.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:45 AM   #15  
Chick

Dear Mousie,
Oh, the wait is miserable. I'm sending you : and a to help you through the weekend. I've got you in my thoughts and prayers and I know whatever the return call will bring, you've got the heart and stamina to see it through.
Love
Judy
Closed Thread