Old 11-23-2005, 08:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/150/150

Default Isn't Jicama a starch?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I checked out a ton of the FAQ's and don't see an answer to this question & I have to log off now as my kids are up. Induction rules say no starch & jicama (which I LOVE) reminds me of a potato, other than the fact that it's way sweeter. Is Jicama really ok on induction???

Thanks!
gonna_be_150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:02 AM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Description - Jicama, a legume, is grown for the large tuberous roots which can be eaten raw or cooked and are used as a source of starch. The jicama plant is a vine which grows to a length of 20 feet or more. The roots are light brown in color, and may weigh up to 50 pounds. Most of those on the market will weigh between three to five pounds.
I checked fitday, and 1 cup of raw jicama is 11 carbs, and 6 grams of fibre. Id say it was up to you. I wouldnt eat it because Im very sensitive to starches. Maybe keep it out of your eating for the first 2 weeks of induction, and let that be one of the things you add in later and see if it effects you.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:33 AM   #3  
TemporaryFatChick

In my opinion, it's best to follow Atkins to the letter during induction. There's plenty of time to add different things and be more flexable after the first two weeks, when you're firmly established in Ketosis
Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 08:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/150/150

Thanks gals, the info I have says Jicama is OK on induction & it really made me wonder because it is totally like a spud. Don't know why I didn't think of searching the net instead of the FAQ's. Sometimes my brain just doesn't work
gonna_be_150 is offline   Reply With Quote