Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 10:07 PM   #1  
Life Time 2001

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #68

Just wanted to come and wish all those that Celebrate to Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Peggy: Glad Peyton is better. My gosh his thought was closed up. I bet that was scary! Glad they took care of him.

Trudy: I hate when the DR Cancels. Seems we have nothing better to do sometimes. Sandels in snow? Brrrrrrrrr!

Slavika: I cant believe the dentist wants that much! I would be getting other opinions to!

Going Christmas shopping tomorrow. Always do it the week of thanksgiving but we will be gone. So Im gonna be rushed tomorrow to get it all done and then pack.

Leaving Sunday for my Sisters and wont be back for a week.
Dont think I will have time to check in tomorrow.

So Have a great week all!

Last edited by LilyG; 11-18-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:10 AM   #2  
Net browser

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Our Son's 40th birthday is on Nov. 23 the same day that DH has his bone marrow biopsy so we will have his birthday celebration on Sunday. I asked our Son what he would like for dinner and he suggested we order Chinese, so that's what we will have. We got him a "Tag" watch for this special birthday and I know he is going to be really pleased and excited.
DH and I were at the hospital today for him to have his monthly Aredia treatment for his bones. We received the list of the remainder of tests that he will have done. We see the oncologist on December 7th, and he will review all the test results with us at that time. DH is feeling good, so we hope the results of the tests will indicate that he
he is doing as well as we think he is. All his blood tests have been good.
Our church is having a Craft Sale tomorrow and they also sell perogies, cabbage rolls and baking that the gals from the church do. I will buy 5 doz. perogies and just keep them in the freezer until Christmas Eve.
That's all my news........
Old 11-19-2005, 05:02 PM   #3  
Super Surfer

Smile Happy Thanksgiving..

I want to wish all our US friends a Happy Thanksgiving. Have a great day with family and friends. and
I had trouble with these two turkey smilies. Clicking on them didn't work, I had to type them in? Anyone else have this problem?

Our TV Cable company decided to give us another channel, so far we aren't paying any more for the monthly service. We now have TCM... Turner Classic Movies. It is just great seeing some of the old movies again. Does anyone else get this channel?

Have a great weekend all.. ...
Old 11-19-2005, 06:13 PM   #4  

Hi All,

Laughing now cause Trudy and I must watch the same dumb shows. I watch Survivor also. Actually Cincy is or was the #1 area to tune it to it. We must all need a life. People down the street used to have Survivor parties. They would decorate their house with a big survivor flag every Thurs. Not sure if we get TCM but I think we do. I don't get much of a chance at the cable-it is used mostly for sports and the Food channel by dh.

Maria what is this about a new camper? Post a picture so we can see it.

Slavika that is some dentist whatever he calls himself. I would shop around a little also. I can hardly believe that your 100 days is almost over. Maybe the time between now and Maui will go quickly and all this will be behind you.

I can't believe all the snow that you Canada gals have. We had some flurries that you could hardly see the other day. Mostly was rain and tornadoes all over. It is just cold.

Trudy that seems rather rude to cancel on you more than once. Hope he keeps the next one.

Played canasta the other night at a friends house. She moved down to Kentucky sort in the country. We got a little lost and then when we left I left my purse behind. Didn't realize it till we were crossing the bridge back into Ohio. I won the booby prize so I was carrying something out and didn't realize I didn't have my purse. Another blonde moment. My dh had to go retrieve it Friday. We went to P's day care yesterday for pumpkin pie with him. It was fun to feed him little bits of it and he did like it.

Glenda glad that you didn't have to babysit over night. To me that should be a fun thing when you want to. I think I might have go see Derailed. I'll wait till it comes to the dollar cinema. Might be a girls night out.

Going to go read. Have a nice weekend.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:30 PM   #5  
Member Florida Chick

Hi: Well the craft fair is over and I am happy to say that we will be abale to contribute $125 to the Cancer Relay for Life. Everyone really liked my DD jewelry. She is very clever. I also sold quite a lot of my gift cards. So it was a successful day.

A report on the colonoscopy. The Doc. says everything looks good and he did take some tissue just as a precaution, but he feels all is well. and i shouldn't have to do this again for 3 years. That really sounded good to me. Thank you all for your prayers and concern.

We will be celebrating Thanksgiving in our rec. hall. We have tables of 12, and the committee provides Turkey, stuffing, and gravy and a bottle of wine. Then the rest of us bring all the rest of the meal. There is always far more than we can eat, or should eat. :

Slavika: So glad your emails are coming through okay now. I have enjoyed all your jokes, and have copied many of them to read at coffee. One of my friends, my bicycle riding partner, is Catholic, and I told her about the Catholic Horse. She loved it. I'm excited for you and your DH as things are going so well. Maui is just over the horizon. My DH is looking to have some extractions, plus a new partial and a full upper plate, and the bill for that is going to be about $2500. I thought that was bad, until you quoted your price.I agree that it seems that a few extra letters in the title, and they can charge the moon and stars too.

I'm glad that we don't have to deal with snow anymore. It has cooled down a bit here, but that is good.

Trudy: I'll just struggle with the weight, as I don't want to be unwell. What a bummer to have your DR. cancel on you twice. Hope you will soon get the results.

Dh is wanting to play cards so will close for now. See you later. Ann

Old 11-19-2005, 11:44 PM   #6  
Net browser

Hi Ann
Just stopped by to read the posts and was so pleased that your colonoscopy went well and that the doctor is confident that you will not have to have that procedure done for another 3 years........that is great news my friend.
I decided that I would make a "Shmoo Cake" for my sons's birthday dinner that we are having tomorrow. The cake is simple enough to make.....6 eggs separated, only 1/2 cup flour, few other things and it also has 1 cup finely chopped pecans in it. What makes this cake so WONDERFUL is that you top it with real whipped cream and a homemade caramel sauce that is made with butter, a pint of whipped cream and brown sugar (trust me on this, it's to die for). I got the cake made and put it in the oven, it has to bake for approx 1 hour and I then made up the caramel sauce. I am not certain how much longer the cake had to bake but all of a sudden our power went OUT . It wasn't just our place but our whole area. It was off for 3 hours. GRRR Needless to say the cake was totally ruined and I had to throw it out. When the power came on again I started all over and made the cake AGAIN. I took it out of the oven and you have to invert the springform pan until the cake has cooled and then you can remove it. WELL......I don't know what the #@$% I did but when I inverted the pan I somehow pushed on a portion of the bottom of the springform pan and now the cake is lopsided. I'm sure it will taste ok but it sure looks STUPID. This cake does not rise up too much but now it's like about 4" on one side and 2" on the other side. Actually the cake is rather UGLY even if things all work out. You sure couldn't put candles in it.....oh Lordy, I don't know why I didn't buy the ice cream cake like I said I was going to yesterday. I thought maybe I could cut us all a piece of cake, put on the whipped cream and the caramel sauce and sort of stick a candle in each piece.....of course the candles would probably fall over into the caramel sauce or on my table cloth and catch the whole dinning room on fire, and then the trucks would all come with men in yellow rain jackets and big black boots........
I may be a bit stressed. hee hee...night all.

Last edited by slavika; 11-19-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:25 PM   #7  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Well gals...third time was a charm.
I couldn't leave it alone, I had to make the cake again for the 3rd time, and it looks like it should. I sure did do a lot of dumb things with the first two cakes.
I set my table........... and a couple of years ago Trudy gave me silver place card holders. What I did was put a picture of our son the day he was born in his holder, in dil holder, a picture of her and son on their first date, in grandson's, a picture of his Dad holding him the day he was born, the same with the Princess. In mine, me holding my son on the day he was baptized and in DH holder, our son and him cozy together on the sofa. I am very pleased with the results and happy that I thought about doing that.
It was one of my better ideas.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:19 PM   #8  

Ann so glad to hear that the colonoscopy went well. It has to be a relief to have that behind you. Loved the smiley you sent. I had to send it on to a friend who dislikes them. It is always fun to tease her. Glad that the craft fair is over it was a success.

Slavika that is too funny about the cakes. They say the third time is a charm. You have way more perseverance than I do. I would have made do with the second one. I am drooling over this cake. It sounds so yummy. If I was closer I would come for a taste. Cute idea for the placecards. Sounds like you all will have fun. Tell your ds Happy Birthday.

The firemen were just across the street. An old man lives there-must be about 97-and he is an old German farmer type. He rides his riding lawnmower all over. His son supposedly was burning leaves at the street and either the farmer or his son was riding the lawnmower over it. Well duh!!!! I was coming home and the street was blocked off. There were flames and lots of black smoke-needless to say-there is no more lawnmower. I bet he is not a happy camper. Last night the firetrucks went down the street to the subdivision in the back. The woman who lives across the street from my friend must be off her meds and somehow set a fire in the garage. She tried to escape from the ambulance when they were taking her to the hospital. She recently shaved her head. The guy who was with her took off in her car. She thinks her parents are trying to poison her. There is lots of drama there. Been an exciting day here when it is usually so quiet.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:25 PM   #9  

G'day everyone,

Great news Ann about the colonoscopy and the results of your fund raising efforts at the craft fair.

Slavika I loved the idea of your place card holders, your ds and his family will like the thoughtfullness that went into this idea.
This cake must really be something! I am not much of a cook but I can relate to your persistance, things MUST be right!

Peggy how annoying that your dh now has to go back to get your purse. We were out yesterday and we were on our way home but 5 minutes when I received a call on my mobile that I had left my handbag!!! We immediately turned around and I got it. I would have been peeved if I had come home and then realised it.

Hard to believe the snow storms you have had in Canada. I can imagine Trudy that the first few snowfalls of the season would be rather nice but then you soon get tired of it. I love having 4 seasons, I really like all the seasons but do tire of them and then look forward to the next.
We lived in a tropical climate for 12 months (Darwin) and I hated it, everyday the same temperature, hot! The only difference was the 6 months of the 'Wet' and 6 months of the 'Dry' season

We had a very hectic weekend, dh has been drooling over his camper trailer, out to birthday celebration, early christmas drinks etc. etc. and we are also trying to plan a weekend out bush to try the camper trailer, we may get a chance early december.
I will email some photos but here is the website of the trailers
http://www.pioneercampers.com/home.htm (I love the way this website was created!)
Ours is the 'Argyle'. They don't exactly give them away but I think we will have a lot of fun with it and the kids can also make use of it.

A busy week ahead with lots of work!

Cheers
Maria
Old 11-21-2005, 12:21 AM   #10  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

The birthday dinner went well and son enjoyed his Shmoo Cake (and I gave him the rest to take home). He also loved his Tag watch, but can you believe it had a dead battery. How disappointing. He has to have a couple of links taken out of the bracelet of the watch anyway so he will have a new battery put in at the same time. They all enjoyed the pictures in the card holders. The Princess showed us some of her dance routines after dinner...that child sure loves to dance. She takes 13 hours of lessons a week (her choice). During the summer she had put on a little bit of weight and now with all this dancing she really has a little dancer's shape......slim, trim and fit, and she eats well too. I guess if I was moving as much as her I would slim up too. I love to watch her, with that long hair of her's just flying and she smiles the whole time that she is dancing. I'm happy that the kids don't just sit in front of the TV for hours at a time. In fact they watch very little TV. Yesterday son and dil did take the kids to see the new Harry Potter movie and they all enjoyed it very much. Grandson has read all the Harry Potter books and does a lot of reading and it shows in his vocabulary. He's in grade 7 now and just got his first report card. He is an A student and doesn't really have to work hard to get good grades.
Lots of doctor appts coming up for DH and November is almost over. Christmas will be here before we know it. We have a couple of dinner invitations to go to in December and DH and I would like to take my brother and sil out before Christmas. DH had won a $100.00 gift certificate to one of the nicer restaurants in the city and we would like to take them.
Peggy you sure had a lot of excitement in your neighbourhood. We have some new people that moved into a house not to far from us and the "older" lady (she is likely younger then me) must be suffering from dementia. During the hottest days of the summer she wore this long grey heavy coat, and the other day I saw her outside in just a light dress. When we got all that snow I saw her "shoveling" her front sidewalk with a stainless steel mixing bowl. Ahhh, the poor dear. I think she lives with her son.
Ann that's good news that your craft sale was such a success. When I went to the one at my church, it seemed that the gals had put so much work into their crafts but not many people were buying them. There are so many craft sales in the city now. I think every church has one.
Maria I wouldn't like to go camping now either, but you are right, your little camper trailer sure beats sleeping in a tent. Who knows, you might get to really enjoy it, and I bet there are lots of lovely spots for you to go to.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:59 PM   #11  
Fun Blonde

First of all, Ann, YEA! What great news!

Slavika, three times? What did you do with the second cake? Can you send it to me? Just kidding. I definitely would have bought the icecream cake, but that is the kind of easy thing I do. I am not into cooking and baking much anymore. Tomorrow I am making an Oreo Cheesecake, a recipe I saw in Oprah's magazine. It definitely is not WW. For our dinner at work I made Oreo cookie candies. They were easy to make and looked like I had worked really hard. All you do is put a whole package of Double Stuff Oreos in a food processer until they are all crushed, add 8 ozs. Cream Cheese softened, roll into balls and then dip in Almond Bark. Really good.

Peggy, your neighborhood sounds like it could be right out of some book. Poor old guy without the lawnmower. He will miss that. Old age ain't for sissies.

Maria, what a wonderful camper! No wonder Allen is excited. When are you going on a test-run?

Hope you all are getting ready for Thanksgiving. So glad to get away from work for 4 days!

It is 5. I can go home. Have a good evening.
Glenda
Old 11-21-2005, 07:48 PM   #12  

G'day everyone,

On all this cooking, dh is very much into wind down mode.
He found a recipe for VERY healthy muesli bars. He has finally managed to get the ingredients and he now realises that these muesli bars are going to be the most expensive ones we would have ever had!!!
It will be interesting how they are going to taste!

Slavika good to hear the birthday dinner went off well. Pretty poor to have a flat battery in an expensive watch
How sad about the lady that moved into your street, I would just HATE to end up like that.

On the camping bit...I agree with most of you but if you want to go off the beaten track there are NO 5 star hotels so this would be the closest to some comfort.
I am sort of used to the lack of bathroom facilities and we have sort of overcome those problems. I will leave it to your imagination how we have overcome this
I am looking forward to trying it out for a weekend somewhere close to home.

I thought the Florida email this morning was very funny, Ann and Karen may not agree!

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 11-21-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:53 PM   #13  
Net browser

Maria since my emails don't get through to you I just wanted to suggest maybe for the first time you use your new camper trailer, just open it up and put it in the back yard and sleep there for a night. hee hee
When I think about it, it would be a really great plan. That way you would really find out what things you will have to take with you.........on the plus side you could use the "inside" facilities.
If I come up with any more brilliant idea's I will let you know.
Son went to the jeweler's first thing this morning and had a new battery put into the watch so it is ticking away nicely and also had a couple of links removed from the bracelet of the watch......he then left for Kansas City. I always want to start singing "going to Kansas City, Kansas City here I come" and if you gals heard what I sound like when I sing you would be sick at heart......poor Ann would truly suffer. LOL LOL DH is helping out son by taking grandson to his hockey game so I am on my own for a bit. I have to admit after DH and I being joined at the hip for the past year I sort of enjoy alone time once in awhile. Night all.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:21 PM   #14  

G'day all,

Slavika We have thought of doing that but it does not seem 'real' somehow. We have had the camper open and the bed is very comfortable for the 10 minutes or so we were lying on it and discussing our trips!
We have hired a camper trailer before similar to this, you may remember we went to the Birdsville Races 2 years ago. Birdsville is in the middle of no where and is famous for their horse race once a year. You cannot get to Birdsville with a convential vehicle. It was quite an experience, the camper trailer was fine and we just had to adapt to the bathroom issue.
It was really after this trip that I felt happy to go ahead and spend the $28 000 on this camper trailer.
We tried to look for a second hand one but they were still around the $25 000 mark so we then decided to go for new with the knowledge that they hold their price if we wanted to sell in 10 years time.

By the way this email business is very strange, I do get some of your emails but obviously not all.
Have you tried sending them to [email protected] ??
By the end of the year we will be changing service providers so hopefully that will also resolve this email issue.

A very warm day here, blue skies and sunshine

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 11-22-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:35 PM   #15  
Super Surfer

Smile Happy Thanksgiving

I know all of you US gals are enjoying your Thanksgiving..have a great day!

I finally got the results of the MRI on my ankle. It shows a tear in the tendon that goes down the outside of the leg, under the ankle bone to the toes. The tear is in front of the ankle bone. It could take a year for it to heal properly. The inflamation and swelling also showed up. Those MRI's are really something. Makes you wonder how doctors were able to diagnose properly without all these techniques.

On Tuesday my DD and came over. DD needed 12 doz cookies for her cookie exchange. We made 17 doz shortbread altogether, she took the balance home with her. I still have to bake my shortbread. DD was so tired and uncomfortable the whole day. I did 99% of the work, and didn't mind at all. This pregnancy is a lot tougher than the first one was.

Bye for now..
Closed Thread