Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #1  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

S/C/G: 211.4/211.4/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Exercise after eating

I've heard differing thoughts on when you "should" exercise to get the best benefit...my question is, if the only time you can really squeeze in some solid time to exercise is shortly after dinner (say 30 minutes to an hour after dinner, and exercising for 1-1.5 hours), are you still doing yourself any good in terms of weight loss, or do you basically just end up burning off dinner but not much else?

I know it sounds like a weird question, but I'm looking at making a career change that could affect when I'm able to get out to the club and get some exercise in.
FL_Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:49 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

Any exercise is better than none! And it sounds like you're doing enough to burn off more than dinner. But, could you not change things around and say eat a small snack, exercise and then have dinner? I find it uncomfortable to exercise that soon after dinner. Maybe that's just me though.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 03:53 PM   #3  
Meg

Yes, you're doing tons of good by exercising after dinner! When you stop and think about it, you'll realize that dinner isn't even digested thirty minutes or an hour after dinner -- it's still in your stomach. So dinner can't be what your burning off since it hasn't even been broken down yet.

Exercise, especially cardio exercise, burns calories - not individual meals - and helps create a calorie deficit that forces your body to burn stored fat. I know that some people say to do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach -- others say that's a myth. In my opinion, it really doesn't matter a whole lot when you do it -- all that matter is that you're doing it!

The only downside to exercising right after eating is if it makes you queasy. That's why most people wait for an hour and a half to two hours after eating to exercise -- but you gotta do what you gotta do! And if exercising after dinner is what works for you, then go for it!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:18 PM   #4  
A Slightly Cracked Egg

S/C/G: 211.4/211.4/130

Height: 5'4"

I work during the day with a small luch at noon and a small snack (usually an apple or other piece of fruit) around 3ish...the couple of times I've tried going straight from work to the gym and working out, I've been so hungry afterward that I end up wanting to have a much larger dinner than I had originally planned (which means going over the cals that I originally planned as well). That's why I was wondering about an after-dinner exercise -- it makes sense to wait a bit longer than 30 minutes though, I didn't think about possible nausea from exercising too soon after eating. Thanks for the responses!
FL_Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:26 PM   #5  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Two nights a week I have an aquacize class about an hour after I've finished dinner. I've never had any trouble with feeling queasy or cramping. I think it helps that I have lots of mini meals throughout the day and hence don't eat a big meal at dinner time
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:16 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Chickie -- Have some protein with that fruit at around 3ish or have your snack just before leaving work about a half hour before your work out... I find I can eat something light like strawberries and cottage cheese a half hour before a workout with no problem...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote