Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-03-2005, 03:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Question Couple of jogging questions.

I'm trying the couch to 5k plan I read on here and I just finished my 2nd workout for the first week.
Question 1
Am I the only one who feels like I'm about to pee all over myself when I first start jogging? I did this on the first try and thought maybe it was because it had been about 20 minutes since I went before heading out but this time I made sure I went just before walking out the door. The sensation hit at the exact same time again. (that first jogging session) I am drinking 20 oz. of water just before heading out and then 24-32 oz. upon returning.

Question 2
What type of stretching should I be doing and when should I do it? I did not stretch before heading out since I figured the 5 minute walk warms up the muscles but I am doing some stretching afterward. The only muscle groups that really feel tight are my calves.

Thanks everyone.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 06:55 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

Can't help you with the first question, but as to the second, everything I've read says that you don't need to stretch before (some even say you shouldn't) but just do some warm-up time. I'd say your five minutes is good, especially if you start jogging a little slowly afterwards and get up to speed gradually.

Have you tried not having any water before you go out?
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I can't drink much water for 2 hours before a run, or not only do I feel like I'm going to pee my pants, sometimes I do a bit. 20 oz right before running would have my stomach sloshing too. If you're drinking water regularly, there's no need to down that much right before a 20-30 minute run.

I don't stretch other than in yoga class, so I can't help you with that.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:59 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I don't drink much water either before a run... Like OnlyMe, I will try not to drink for a couple of hours before leaving. Then before leaving I pee before putting my runners on then again after this is a bit much but I feel better if I go just just before going out the door...

Your 5 minute walk is your warm up and then stretch your hams, quads, hips after... I'll try to find some pics tomorrow...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Thanks all for the help. I do drink a lot of water through out the day (usually at least 96 oz.) so I will try that tomorrow without drinking before heading out.

I'll check back later for a couple pics for some stretches. I've been doing the reaching down and grabbing my ankles and then the lunge type poses for the right and left and that's its.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 11:54 AM   #6  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbygirl43
I'm trying the couch to 5k plan I read on here and I just finished my 2nd workout for the first week.

I have been walking for a while but would like to jog as well. Where did you find this plan. Is there a plan or link or is this your own plan? Thanks!
rebelridergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #7  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

I just found the page where the plan is at. Thank you, though! I really want to try this next week. My hubby walks with me and won't jog, but maybe I could do this solo in the mornings before work.
rebelridergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey,
I did the couch to 5 K in the summer. I found I can't drink before either. Not only do I have to pee, but I get stomach cramps.
I don't stretch much before but, I stretch a lot after. a few different calf streches, like putting my toes on the edge of a step and pressing my heal down to step below(I don't actually touch the one bellow but that is the general motion)
Make your legs like a triangle and bend at the waist to grab your calf or ankel or what ever, hold on one side then walk your hands over to the other, you can pause in the middle in you feel OK. I ussually do thing starting on both sides.
The old quad stretch where you hold onto something to get your balance then grab the ankle from the back. try and keep the thighs together so you really focus on the quads.
I do a bunch of other ones too if I have time but those are the ones I almost always try and do.
Keep running,
Jennie
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:33 AM   #9  

I'ma newbie so don't take my advice as gospel. I would reccomend drinking plenty thruogh the day and then cutting back one to two hours prior to your run. As for stretching do it frequently... FREQUENTLY!
it helps to avoid injury and keep your muscles warm. I injured myself and i was very willy nilly with strecthing. do it before, during and after. Do some lunges at your kitchen sink, while drying dishes, stretch your arms while reading the paper or watching tv, rise up on tiptoes and lower while in queues at the supermarket... who cares what anyone else thinks...

it is only going to do you good.

keep up the good work!
Penguina is offline   Reply With Quote