General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 07:56 PM   #1  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Default When is it too late to plant tulip & crocus bulbs?

Hi all,

When is it too late to plant bulbs? I'm in Mass. (zone 5). It's been raining like crazy (up until today) and we even had some snow last night. I have about a dozen tulips and crocus bulbs I still need to plant, but with the weather and my crazy schedule I just haven't gotten around to it.

Is it too late to plant them? And if it is, what on earth do I do with them until next fall??

Thanks
Old 10-30-2005, 08:19 PM   #2  
Mel

Kate! Is that you? You look fantastic!

I live in PA (right on the border between zones 6 and 7) and have planted up until the end of November. I figure as long as I can get them into unfrozen ground, they'll be OK. If you can dig a hole, go for it. I once tried to hold over some tulip bulbs and lost about 60% of them.

When I lived in Toronto, I remember actually digging through snow to plant. I had beautiful flowers that spring

Mel
Old 10-30-2005, 08:33 PM   #3  

That's me! You didn't think my other avatar was me, did you ?! Pookie suggested I use a pic of myself instead, so I did (obviously).

Thanks for the advice, Mel...it's my first very own lawn/garden and I don't know what the heck I'm doing! I'm going to get to it this week -- I just didn't want to poor little guys to shrivel up and die because I planted them too late!

Thanks
Old 10-30-2005, 09:21 PM   #4  
Mel

LOL, I know your old avatar wasn't you! You haven't updated your progress pics for a while. You are stunning
Old 11-01-2005, 10:21 AM   #5  
Addicted to potato salad!

Kate: THanks for reminding me. I have to plant more bulbs, too! And I say it's not too late until you can't dig in the ground because it's frozen solid. If you can dig in it, you can plant bulbs in it...

Kris
Old 11-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #6  

Thanks ladies

Now...if I could just figure out how to stop my Basset from digging them up after they've been planted....
Closed Thread