General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 10:56 AM   #1  

Default How much does a MAMMOGRAM cost??

Does anyone know? I changed medical plans recently to one that does not provide 100% coverage (I had to--I can't pay the high monthly premium right now) and now I might need to get a mammogram. My new health care plan covers 80% of the cost, rather than all of it. Can someone give me a ballpark figure how much this is gonna cost me out-of-pocket? $300?? I have no clue.

Also, I've never had one before (I'm only 36). Do they hurt like ****?
Old 10-27-2005, 11:08 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well up here in Canada it's free at breast clinics but it is definitely worth it even if you have to pay. Do it!

Sure it hurts but it's over fast. I find that cutting out caffeine for two or three days ahead of time and taking a Tylenol or two half an hour before the exam is very helpful.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:13 AM   #3  

I'm not positive how much they cost - but on the hurting part - I would not say they hurt - just uncomfortable...for just a little bit.

Call up a clinic or somewhere that does mammograms and say you don't have insurance and see how much they charge. This will allow you to figure out your 20%.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 AM   #4  

A couple ideas - Call you County Health Department, sometimes they are free.
Or call your hospital and tell them your insurance only cover 80% and ask if they would consider accepting that as full payment.
There are newer machines now and it doesn't hurt as much as it use too....
Old 10-27-2005, 11:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I didn't find it very uncomfortable at all (although it felt kind of silly and awkward), but I have large breasts. I have heard that it's most uncomfortable if you're very tiny breasted. Which makes sense I guess. If you pinch an inch, it hurts less than if you pinch a tiny amount of skin (not that it's a pinch as much as a press).

Colleen
Old 10-31-2005, 09:34 PM   #6  
zooropa_liz

I used to work for the American Cancer Society. Call their free, 24-hr 800 # (1-800-ACS-2345) and see if they are doing any free mammograms in your area. They may not have anymore since October is pretty much over AND they are usually only restricted to women over the age of 40 - BUT it is worth a try. And they can give you some phone #s. They might even have a cost range - but Star's suggestion is good - just ask how much they cost and figure out 20%.

ACS also has info on mammograms - what exactly to expect and some general recommendations on how to prepare. Again, free info that they can email you. As far as I understand they are uncomfortable but not extremely painful or anything like that!

Just checked online - "Most screening mammograms cost between $50 and $150. Most states now have laws requiring health insurance companies to reimburse all or part of the cost of screening mammograms."

Last edited by zooropa; 10-31-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:46 PM   #7  

I just had to have a mammogram ($136.00) because I found a lump and then an ultrasound ($138.00) and a $30 charge for?????

Good luck, Rachelle
Old 11-02-2005, 09:09 AM   #8  

Default Ok,

Honey, it is not the "price" of the mammogram that is important.

It is the "cost" of not having one.

Good Luck!
Old 11-02-2005, 11:27 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelleS
I just had to have a mammogram ($136.00) because I found a lump and then an ultrasound ($138.00) and a $30 charge for?????

Good luck, Rachelle
Wow, your ultrasound was only $138??? Mine was around $225!

If you're just having the screening mamo rather than a diagnostic, it will be cheaper. Price depends on where you live, but I believe the first one I had was screening and ran around $125 (this was Raleigh, NC). My 2 diagnostic ones have run in the $250-260 range.

Re pain, I'm not goona lie. Yes they hurt. That tiny pinch analogy is right on! I was told to take 4 ibuprofen tablets a couple of hours before mine. All I can say is if they helped, I sure hate to have one w/o them! I will say though that I am a pain weenie, and that it also doesn't hurt much afterwards, just while they're doing it. Finally, my oldest sister was recently diagnosed w/ Stage 4 breast cancer, so I will never complain about the pain (just state the obvious - LOL) again! She never had a mamo because she had no insurance and was just above the income cutoff for reduced/free ones, Medicaid, etc.

Please go, even if you have to pay full price!
Old 11-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

George Washingtion University Hospital has a mobile mamgram van that goes around, they charge $140. I saw the ad for it at work today. The ad said they except most insurance.

Pain really depends on how big you are and how experienced the tech is who is doing the procedure. I'm pretty big so mine didn't really hurt. It was just a lot of pressure, it was very uncomfortable for me, but didn't quite pass into painful.

Sarah
Old 12-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #11  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

I'll second the comments on it being "really uncomfortable" but not exactly "pain". JavaJunkie, just so you're prepared emotionally, you may be asked to have an ultrasound after the mammo (maybe not same day). I had this happen for my baseline (at age 40) and then the year after that. I was told it was because the tissue was dense and that is characteristic of the breasts of younger women, and uh, bigger breasts. I'm sure there are others here than can provide additional enlightenment, but I know that at the time I was upset and thought they had found something when in fact it was quite routine.

Just *do* it though--I'm sure the lab will work out a payment plan for the remaining 20% if you need to do that.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:09 AM   #12  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Hey ladies!

I am from Canada, so if we get a doctor to order the MAM. then its free ... I am 25. I got mine done as a base line b/c of my history with cancer...PLEASE GO EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO PAY FULL PRICE!!!! believe me, you DO NOT want to go through cancer treatment!!!
Closed Thread