General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-22-2005, 10:21 AM   #1  
Back Again!

S/C/G: 290/270/180

Height: 5'3"

Red face 6 Week Body Makeover & Medifast 980

Having woke up to the 6 week makeover infomerical, I listened and was impressed with the claims made and the tearful customers whose lives were obviously improved by the program. A friend of mine suggested Medifast 980.

I'm an extremely picky eater (no meat and no green veggies), so it's been hard for me to find a program (other than WW) that DOESN'T require eating meat or some form of green veggies as part of the diet plan. I've tried meat and green veggies and am literally sick - the same results I had when I was much younger and the foods were forced on me. My GP says I it's a "severe intolerance" and closely monitors my health by bloodwork every two or three months, etc. Now you've heard my story of woe

The real purpose of my post was to solicit your + or - comments about either product and to ask if either require meats or green veggies. Or, if you know of another program that doesn't require the above, please please share the name of it with me.

Thanks!!
kaliannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:19 PM   #2  
Gonna Be Gorgeous!

Default Medifast

Hello! I am beginning Medifast on Saturday (at least I think I am) and can answer your question--On the Medifast 5 and 1 plan you drink 5 shakes (or eat pudding, soup, oatmeal) a day and have one "Lean and Green" meal which is meat and veggies. OR they have the Complete Plan which is just shakes and soups/oatmeal/pudding without the Lean and Green portion. If you have anyfurther questions, pm me for their website address. Please let me know if you choose this diet. Maybe we can be buddies!

Last edited by GeorgiePorgie; 10-27-2005 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Deleting website
GeorgiePorgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:04 AM   #3  

Default I'm starting medifast as well

I just ordered the sampler pack from medifast.

I'm actually going through my required classes right now to have weight loss surgery. I really really don't want to have it but after 15 years of trying to lose weight and numerous weight related health conditions, I just have to accept that I can't do this on my own. I decided during these next few months I'm going to really give it my all and if I fail this time....I will have the surgery.

My biggest problem is that I like very few foods. The ones I do like are not conducive to weight loss. I also have terrible food cravings. What I think will work about this is you eat every 3 hours so there is not much chance to get hungry. I am also hoping to learn to prepare and eat a healthy meal every night. I am already in a medically supervised weight loss group (it is mandatory to complete the class before you are elgible for the WLS) and am learning a lot about food choices.
jujubeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:31 AM   #4  
Gonna Be Gorgeous!

Welcome JuJu! Once you read the posts on the Medifast website, you will see that some of the people report that not only does their hunger go away, so does their cravings. Hopefully, once you have been on the plan for a few weeks, your cravings will subside or even change to include healthier foods! Good luck to you. I'm here for you as we have discussed so keep in touch!
Old 10-30-2005, 02:39 PM   #5  

Hmmm, I just realized there are a couple of different medifast plans going. The 980 is a completely different website and everything. I went to the medifast1.com website but I see no reference to the 980 plan there. I typed in medifast 980 on Google and found it. It looks like the same types of food and such but it is all pre-selected for you. The one I went to lets you choose what you want. Such as for the 2 week plan it showed me the choices of shakes, bars, oatmeal & soups. I had to choose a total of 10 with no more than 2 of them being the bars. It looks like it is more expensive the the 980 though. The 980 is 98.00 for 11 days and the other is about 140.00 (depending on what you order) for 14 days. I think it works out to about 1.00 a day more. I think I would prefer that though because it doesn't sound like I will like much of the food they have. I can see myself sucking down a shake that I don't like too much but I find it very difficult to sit and chew and swallow food that I don't like.

I see Kaliannah is on the 980, which one are you on Eddie?
Old 10-30-2005, 02:45 PM   #6  
Gonna Be Gorgeous!

Hi JuJu.
I'm on the Medifast 5-and-1 plan. 5 meal replacements (such as shakes, oatmeal, chili, soups and bars (but no more than one bar per day) and 1 "lean and green meal" per day. You are able to shop for your own replacements when you order for the month-it is not already preselected which gives you control over what you eat. Hope this helps!
Old 10-30-2005, 04:21 PM   #7  

Ok, that sounds like the same one that I was looking at. Are you doing mainly shakes or doing the food too? Any opinions yet on what is good and what isn't?
Old 10-30-2005, 04:35 PM   #8  
Gonna Be Gorgeous!

Hi JuJu--It's still only my first day. I have had shakes, soup, oatmeal and a bar. All are decent. Nothing that I can say I don't like so far. But again...it's my first day. Ask me again in a week!
Old 10-31-2005, 09:29 AM   #9  

So how did your first full day go? Did you make it through that dreaded evening/after dinner/before bed time?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:30 AM   #10  

So I'm going over the quick start guide in eager anticipation of the arrival of my order. It tells me under the salad that I can have the medifast salad dressing or any "lowfat & low carb" salad dressing. My preference is the Wishbone Just 2 Good thousand island but it has 2g fat & 9g carbs. Is this considered too high. I can't seem to find a reference to what qualifys as "low carb"
Old 10-31-2005, 11:38 AM   #11  
Gonna Be Gorgeous!

Hey JuJu--that's a good question. I don't have the answer. But..you can email the nutritionist and they will answer pretty quickly. Just include all the info you just gave in your email. Let me know what they say!
Old 10-31-2005, 12:10 PM   #12  

Ok, I messaged medifast and gave them all the details including the dressing I was planning to take and the cals,fat & carbs in it. This was their response:

"Low calorie or fat free dressing"

That was it.........geeze!
Old 10-31-2005, 08:57 PM   #13  

I'm so anxious to get started I actually bought some low carb Slim Fast at the grocery store. It has only 6g of carbs (2g net carbs). MF has 13g (10g net). SF has 190 cals, MF has 90. SF has 9g fat, MF has 0 (wow!) & SF has a whopping 20g protein where MF has 9g.
I know this is a poor substitute but I'm hoping I can get myself into ketosis with this. I just really want to get through the tougher part while I'm feeling so motivated. I'm chilling them now so I'll have my first one shortly. I have a feeling they will taste foul.

I just need to do this for a couple of days until I receive my order. I'm hoping Weds or Thurs.

Last edited by jujubeee; 10-31-2005 at 08:58 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 11-01-2005, 08:40 AM   #14  

Yep, that low carb slim fast is quite foul. I sure hope the MF shakes taste a lot better. Even if they don't, I'm still going to do it. I just chugged down the slim fast and chased it with a big glass of ice water to kill the after taste.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:53 AM   #15  

I'm well into my 2nd day now and have lost much of my motivation.... I'm still doing the slim fast until I get the medifast (it's supposed to be here thurs). I had some baked chicken and a salad for my meal. I guess I'm not really hungry, I just really want a taste of some of my favorite foods. I'm feeling very headachy today too, probably because of the caffeine withdrawl. I took a caffeine pill to help wean me but it really didn't help.

For the first time I actually sat down and talked to my kids about this. I have never admitted to going on a diet to them. I think I've always been too embarassed if and when I fail. Well this time I sat them down and told them this was my last shot before surgery and I really have to do this. I asked them to please start preparing their own meals, not ask to go out to eat and not ask for food that I will have a hard time being around. And NO PEPSI!!! I told them I would buy some of their other favorite soda's for those times they get one. The only kind I like is Pepsi anyway so it's not going to tempt me. I know they can and should go without but I don't mind if they have the occasional soda. My son offered to go on my walks with me everyday and he said he would drink a glass of water for every glass of water I drink. My daughter agreed to not bring me home pizza anymore (she works at a pizza place)..... All in all they were very supportive!!!

I did take my dogs for a long walk (about 40 minutes) and about 1/3 of it was up a pretty good incline. I was pretty winded there for a bit. I think dog walking is the best exercise because they just don't like to stroll. They really make you keep up the pace but they'll give you a couple seconds break every now and then while they sniff a tree or something. Plus, I think once we get in the habit of it, I would feel guilty if I didn't take them.