Old 10-20-2005, 11:00 AM   #1  
*meow*

Height: 5'7"

Default Multi-Vitamins

I've been lurking for a VERY long time and finally have something important to post about/ask. Which multi-vitamin do you take/would you advise a person to take? I just joined Curves and am on a calorie counting diet with an intake of about 1800-1900 calories. If this isn't enough background info let me know! Thanks guys.

~jess~
JLynne126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:06 PM   #2  

I just started taking one-a-day weight smart. I do think it is helping. I am not as hungry since I started taking it. Maybe someone else has some thoughts. Good luck in your search.
crd43123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:35 PM   #3  
Soon 2 B former fat chick

I also take one-a-day weight smart. I like it and would recommend it to anyone that is trying to lose or maintain weight. Since I started taking it I have less pain during the night, you know the kind you get when you excersize too close to bed time. I hate that. But keeping up with your needed vitamins and such do help to take that away. Make sure to take it with something though and more in the morning times. I find taking it on an empty stomach can mess you up and in the morning for me when I take I just feel better in the morning and afternoon hours as well as evening.
formerskinnychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:56 PM   #4  
*meow*

Height: 5'7"

Thanks guys! I actually checked that specific vitamin out at the grocery store this week but wanted to hear some opinions before I purchased it! Thanks again.

~jess~
JLynne126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:01 PM   #5  
Soon 2 B former fat chick

Your welcome. I wasn't too sure about it either, but my doctor recommended it so I am glad I got it.
formerskinnychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Hrm, I just take a plain old garden variety multivitamin. Mine are Walgreens storebrand, the brand that competes with the basic Centrum product (which I used to take). It's their High Potency A Thru Z with Lutein (whatever that is).

Though, I'm undoubtedly not the best person to ask, as I picked mine based on price. This one, I got a huge bottle for $6.99 on sale, down from its normal generic brand price of $14.99. So I figure, at less than 2 cents per vitamin, it's cheap at least.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 09:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 164/137/135

Height: 5ft, 4.5in

Default Flintstones complete

I take Flintstones Complete: Same vitamins as your average one a day, but much tastier. And they don't make me sick to my stomach like some others have done.

Flinstone Complete: nutrition info scroll to bottom.

One-a-Day Weight Smart: nutrition info ditto.

-Amy

Last edited by ameliaamy; 10-21-2005 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Add the One-a-day Weight smart info
ameliaamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:14 AM   #8  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

rabid (and anyone else, really): Lutein is a nutrient found in the eye, where it is believed to help defend against oxidative stress & intense light. Studies suggest that lutein may help maintain healthy eyesight.

Currently I take high performance centrum (was on sale at Costco)

Also, reminder--you may need a calcium supplement as well if you don't get enough from food sources (being somewhat lactose intolerant, I'm sure I don't) -- multivitamins usually contain 20% or less of daily calcium requirement.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:04 AM   #9  
banned

i take a generic centrum and this time of year 500mgs c 2-3x a day
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:51 PM   #10  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

I take One a Day for women and a calcium supplement. I find that if I don't get at least 1200 mg of calcium a day my RLS really drives me nuts at night. And because my trainer told me that your body can only absorb a certain amount of calcium all at once, I take one 333 mg capsule with each meal plus one right before bed.

Great thread, by the way. I always wondered if plain old grocery-store type vitamins were good enough .
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #11  
Empress/Queen

I don't take a multi. Sometimes I am on a prescription for iron, sometimes not. From time to time I'll take a B-complex and/or omega complex for a week or so, then drop it.

I don't like to take a lot of pills.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 06:41 PM   #12  

I currently use GNC Women's Ultra. I tried the One-a-Day Weight Smart but they had a negative effect on me, kinda hyped me up as I recall. I used to take a multi-vitamin that WW sold and I really liked those, they were only $5 for the bottle but I'm thinking they no longer sell these. I used to have to have the leader order them. I was the only one in our group who used them.
poohshunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:07 PM   #13  

I used to take GNC Ultra Mega, but The pills are huge and have a gross aftertaste. I am now taking Olay Complete Multivitiman and I really like it. It does not have a bad taste, and the pill is not to big.
JR'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Oh yeah, forgot to add I take an iron supplement, and a calcium supplement, daily as well. The calcium is just for my peace of mine, it's supposed to be 3 tablets a day at 40% RDA each. I just take one, and figure I get the rest in my multivitamin and food. The iron is on doctor's orders, I have iron deficiency. I use a product called Ferro-Sequels (comes in a green box) which is ferrous fumarate, not ferrous sulfate, and time-released. It's the only iron supplement that doesn't make me sick to my stomach.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:06 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliaamy
I take Flintstones Complete: Same vitamins as your average one a day, but much tastier. And they don't make me sick to my stomach like some others have done.
If you want an adult chewable vitamin, Centrum makes a chewable- its called Centrum Silver. I learned about it from the WLS forum here- I've had a hard time with finding one I tolerate and so far so good with this one. I compared it to your Flinstones, and it has a little more of most of the vitamins, plus a few more, though it doesn't have any iron. I found it on sale at WalMart for $6 for 60 (1 per day).
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote