Old 10-19-2005, 08:54 PM   #1  

Thumbs up Chicken/Broccoli Bake

CHICKEN/BROCCOLI BAKE

6 oz. chicken
4 oz. fresh broccoli
1/2 cup crushed pork rinds (I used 4 slices of Canadian Bacon diced VERY finely instead of the pork rinds)
2 T. chopped onion
2 t. minced garlic (1 clove)
1 c. shredded Mozarella cheese (I didn't use a full cup)
1 T. Parmesan cheese (I used freshly grated)
1/4 cup Mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water

Cook the broccoli and drain well, reserving 1/4 cup of water. Combine the water, mayo, sour cream in a bowl. Combine Parmesan and the diced Canadian Bacon. Put 1/2 the Parmesan and Canadian Bacon mixture in a Pam sprayed casserole dish. Then layer the chicken, the broccoli and the sauce, and the cheese. Put on the other 1/2 of the Parmesan and Canadian Bacon mixture, bake in a 350º oven for 30 minutes and ENJOY!!!

Now, let me tell you the changes I made because I know pork rinds are a no no and I got this off of another low carb site. Instead of the pork rinds, I used 4 slices of Canadian bacon, diced VERY finely and I only use freshly grated Parmesan, not that canned stuff, mixed those two together. I did use the water in the sauce mixture but would leave that out next time, and there will be a next time. I used about 2/3 of a 13 oz. can of chicken breast, well drained. Even my DH thought it was wonderful. I think this is much more healthy than the original recipe. I really loaded it up with the fresh broccoli and I steamed mine rather than boiling it. Hope you try it and like it.....GrannySmith

Last edited by GrannySmith; 10-21-2005 at 07:09 AM.
GrannySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:29 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Granny, that looks really good!

However, you need to take the pork rinds out. Though they're a common ingredient in many low-carb diets, they aren't a part of SBD. SBD is all about good fats, and the saturated fat in pork rinds isn't a good fat. How about some low fat cheese on top, instead? When in P2, you could add some crushed Stoned Wheat Thins on top...I've done that with other casseroles and it's delicious!

Thanks for a great recipe!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote