Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 07:42 AM   #1  
Eat well, Live well

Default Eat your 35 flex points!

I just noticed that a lot of posts lately have people asking why they are not losing weight, and they describe what they are doing, and it turns out they are not eating the 35 flex points each week.

I guess it's because the WW program makes it seem like those are "bonus" or "cheat" points, so people feel like they are being especially good if they don't eat them.

I did the same thing for a couple of weeks, and I plateauxed, and my leader stressed the importance of eating them to provide my body with the energy it needed to stay out of "starvation" mode. The program is set up to encourage us to eat enough every day, without being bound to eating the same amount every day.

So, I just want to encourage everyone to eat your flex points!!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

I'll ditto her sentiments! There are a few who truly cannot eat them however the most of us can. Many times people get scared after a week of eating them all because they show a low or no loss and then they quit. Really you need to eat them and usually from the first week you will show a loss but if you don't do that don't run from them....keep trying for a minimum of 3-4 weeks so your body can adjust. Many times we have confused our metabolism so bad with fad and/or ultra low calorie diets that we shock it when we give it enough to eat.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:18 PM   #3  

For me, I've just never been able to eat that much. I was never a huge eater even when overweight.

My friend just went on WW and gets 28 points a day and I can't even believe how much food that is.

To eat my 20 plus AP's (I don't use those either) plus WAP's. 30+ points a day? Can't even comprehend that.

What I don't get if your body goes into starvation mode if you eat less points, how come like anorexics get so skinny?

For me, eating less and exercising more has always resulted in better weight loss. I know that's not the norm, but it's how it works for me.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:12 PM   #4  
MRSKMS

S/C/G: 205

Height: 5'4"

I for one just can't eat more than 1/2 or I don't lose. It is definately a personal thing for everyone and how their body reacts.

I envy all of you that can eat all 35 - it would be great but believe me I have tried it and It doesn't work for me

Cindy
Old 10-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #5  
banned

i have no probs whatsoever eating them. in fact im on core and i wouldnt survive w/o them. i actually even eat more than 35
Old 10-19-2005, 08:23 PM   #6  

I just wanted to stress that the flex points are 35 per week not per day. That would mean 5 extra points per day. That won't be quite so hard to do.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #7  

Excellent post!!! Great topic. I had issues with this in the past as well. I am now (well I just started WW again) eating all of the points. I am supposed to eat 24 points a day but I try to eat between 25 and 29 each day. Hopefully it will make a difference. I am sure it will help that is for sure!

When WW had the winning points program you ate between a range of points each day. (I have that info. here some where but I can't remember where it is lol) I cannot remember how exactly that plan went, but I think it was a pretty good plan. Many stayed in the upper point levels then I beleive. And they lost.

I am not sure how many different (1, 2, 3 success, winning points, and flex/turn around) programs WW has had... but they seem to be good plans. I personlly like the flex plan though. It seems to make you make healthier choices then the older plans.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #8  

I totally understand and agree with eating all, or the majority of your Flexpoints.
Here's my question, though-is it bad to spend them on something not so healthy, like say, an ice cream sundae? I usually feel really guilty when I use my FPs on a big splurge, I feel like I should use them for more healthier choices. What do you guys think? What do YOU eat with your FPs?

Take care!
Molly
Old 10-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #9  

Healthy choices are always better choices! Instead of ice cream (for example) I enjoy a half of a cup of sugar free jello with 2 tablespoons of lite cool whip. That is all 0 points actually! I like kroger brand wheat crackers..... 5 are 1 point.

It takes time to learn healthy choices.... it feels like it takes forever sometimes! But it is worth it.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:26 AM   #10  

I know that my leader had one meeting just around giving in to your cravings within reason and to use your flex pts for that purpose b/c if you don't and deprive yourself then you will lose control..gosh knows I would. I think as long as you are getting in your veggies, fruits, dairy, etc. on a regular basis then an occasional use of flex pts on a splurge is not bad. Of course some say that is a trigger for them to continue to eat badly...so I guess it is up to you. It is all trial and error for each individual person. I personally use them some days to just have a little more food or on some days to have something not great for me, but yummy!
Old 10-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #11  

Marcie,

Well said! I am the same way. And I do feel if you deprive yourself you will fall off of the wagon. Some take a while to get back on too. I like the way WW handles things like that. And the flex points gives you the freedom to choose. Which helps a lot too.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #12  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi116
For me, I've just never been able to eat that much. I was never a huge eater even when overweight.
Then you slowed your metabolism down already by not eating enough for what it needed.

Quote:
My friend just went on WW and gets 28 points a day and I can't even believe how much food that is.

To eat my 20 plus AP's (I don't use those either) plus WAP's. 30+ points a day? Can't even comprehend that.
28 TPs is really not that much food and if it is quantity that you don't want you make those points but using real foods and not diet or low cal/low fat.

Quote:
What I don't get if your body goes into starvation mode if you eat less points, how come like anorexics get so skinny?
Because at first your metabolism slows down, then shuts down then your body turns to eating itself (internal organs, muscle tissue, etc) to have energy to live. This is why they become so skinny.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #13  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmolly
...Here's my question, though-is it bad to spend them on something not so healthy, like say, an ice cream sundae? I usually feel really guilty when I use my FPs on a big splurge, I feel like I should use them for more healthier choices. What do you guys think? What do YOU eat with your FPs?...
My (and this is only my way of doing it) is to spend my TargetPoints on my nutritional requirements, spend my ActivityPoints on additional dairy and/or protein and the spend my FlexPoints on what I want. Normally it is a healthy treat (fruit or whole grain items) but I also use it for ice cream (real stuff like Cold Stone) or another high fat/calorie treat.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #14  

I've never eaten a ton of food, even when I was overweight. So if it's my metabolism, I was born that way. Why would I eat more if I wasn't hungry?

I don't eat very many diet foods. My main staples are oatmeal, home made soups, sandwiches, shrimp, and fruits and veggies, things like that. All very low point and healthy too.

For me, what I eat is more than enough food. I'm not hungry and I'm really healthy and I'm maintaining at a comfortable weight. I don't feel deprived at all. I don't really have any desire to spend 10 points on a small cup of ice cream. It doesn't appeal to me in the least. I would only be eating it just to eat it and what's the point of that?

That's the neat thing about WW is how all of us can do the same program but so differently. What works for one doesn't always work for another.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:22 PM   #15  
Cowboy Up Chick

Here are the Points Pies that can help you if you say that you can't get to your minimum (and this is not specifically directed to anyone but put out for general info):

Balanced (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 8-9 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 6-7 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-3 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-3 points a day
Milk and Milk Products – 4-6 points a day

20-28 points a day

Higher Protein (under 250 pounds)

Complex Carbs/Grain Based Foods – 5-6 points a day
Protein-rich Foods – 9-11 points a day
Fruits and Veggies – 0-1 points a day
Fats, added sugars – 2-4 points a day