Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-15-2005, 12:41 PM   #1  

Default Newbie buying equipment

I wanted to start lifting weights at home (I don't drive, so joining a gym is out right now). I was planning on getting a personal trainer for at least a few sessions to make sure I have proper form.

Two questions:

How can I find a good personal trainer to help a beginner?

I found someone in my area selling a weightbench, a barbell, a dumbell and about 80 pounds in weights for $40. Is that a good deal?

Thanks!

Last edited by zerofill; 10-15-2005 at 01:30 PM.
zerofill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 04:01 PM   #2  
Mel

If they are in good condition, that's a pretty good deal.

As for how to find a trainer, does anyone you know use a trainer? Word of mouth recommendations are usually the best. Other ways to find a trainer include calling the gyms in your area. I know that my gym will sell "at home" sessions to non-members at a slightly higher rate. If you find a trainer this way, you may be able to negotiate a lower rate for subsequesnt sessions by booking directly with the trainer.

You can also log onto the websites of various certifying organizations and use their "trainer locator" feature. Keep in mind that the only thing that you know about a person found this way is that they hold a certification. They may bever have actually trained anyone or have insurance. Make sure no matter how you find a trainer, that you "interview" them a bit on the phone to make sure that you are hiring someone with experience working with someone with your goals and in a home environment.

Here are some of the more reputable organizations' sites:
American Council on Exercise
International Sport Science Association
National Strength and Conditioning Association
National Academy of Sports Medecine
American College of Sports Medicine

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:00 PM   #3  

Thanks! I made arrangements to buy the equipment, and I found the phone numbers of a couple of personal trainers to call.
zerofill is offline   Reply With Quote