Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-12-2005, 08:53 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8

Default Help! Treadmill or Elliptical???

I need some input- I am ready to buy a machine, but I don't know which one- treadmill or elliptical. I am REALLY out of shape, so I know I can walk on a treadmill, but I also have bad knees and so I hear the elliptical is better. Which do you all prefer? and why???
Rizeninme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:34 PM   #2  
one leg press at a time

I would recommend the eliptical just for the fact, you can go for a walk just about anywhere, but the elipltical would be something you can' tdo everyday if you don't have the machine.
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:41 PM   #3  

I just tried an elliptical the other day for the first time. In my opinion, you get a more intense workout on the elliptical, but as I said, I have limited experience. I also have some knee troubles, and I didn't notice any problems on the elliptical.
amylizmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:49 PM   #4  

I have an elliptical trainer in my garage....I think you get a much better workout on the elliptical. I also have bad knees and it has very low impact on your knees. Hope this helps.
AndreaS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #5  
it's always something

I have both, and prefer the treadmill
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:30 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I prefer the treadmill too...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

I have an elliptical. I like it because I feel the burn quicker and IMO I feel that I get a better cardio workout. My sisters and I take turns exercising at each other homes. She has a treadmill. Well it is nice I feel that I can get the same workout going to the mall. I also have bad knees so I do fast walking no jogging. I do plan on someday adding a treadmill. Try floor models of both machines and don't choose until your sure what YOU would use! You don't want an expensive cloths hanger.
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:45 PM   #8  

you burn more calories with an elliptical.
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:58 PM   #9  

forgive me for asking but im stumped on this one

how do you burn more calories on eliptical than on a treadmill (i can understand it is better for joints but burning more calories lol)

you burn calories based on how much you push yourself and raise your heart rate, not what machine you buy, but if you have joint problems then yes buy the eliptical
ROFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:00 AM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL
forgive me for asking but im stumped on this one

how do you burn more calories on eliptical than on a treadmill (i can understand it is better for joints but burning more calories lol)

you burn calories based on how much you push yourself and raise your heart rate, not what machine you buy, but if you have joint problems then yes buy the eliptical
I think what fikustrees means is that the calorie counter on the machine says you burn more. These calculators IMO are not accurate and they are different for everyone depending on weight, metabolism, etc.... Someone weighing 140# will burn a lot less calories on an eliptical than someone who weighs 240# for the same time they are on the machine...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:44 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I agree the calorie counters are innacurate. The ones at my gym say I burn more calories on the elliptical than on the stepper but my sweat and breathing say otherwise!

However, I would probably go with a treadmill. I think as you advance it is easier to get a more intense workout on a treadmill (speed, incline) than it is on an elliptical and these are some pretty big $$$ investments that you want to use for a long time.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 02:21 AM   #12  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Popping in from the 100 pound club with my two cents

I have a pretty nice treadmill, we enjoy it very much..(although not NEARLY often enough on my part!)

I'm only 5' tall and have tried an elliptical before...I found the stride on it MUCH too large for my little legs! It was really uncomfortable for me..but if you're taller than that, all bets are off.

I do love the versatility of the treadmill, though..with speeds up to 10 miles an hour and an incline up to 10%..it's more than challenging enough for even my BEEFCAKE of a husband. Much more challenging potential than I'll ever need, which is nice.

There you have it
Have a great night everyone, and Denise..good luck, I'm sure you'll make an excellent choice for yourself

xoxo
Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:27 AM   #13  
Me&nephew super heros

I argee with you linda..
I am also short and it was very difficult for me to do it... I love my treadmil I can walk and watch tv while doing it and the time flys by unlike walking outside....
Heather<><

Last edited by dizzi_v; 10-20-2005 at 02:55 PM.
dizzi_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:58 PM   #14  

I know that on some ellipticals (mine, for instance) one can adjust the incline and resistance, to quite high levels if one wishes.

I love my elliptical. I also love the fact that I can still go outside and get the same movement ranges as if I had a treadmill. The elliptical does bother my bad knee a bit, but I honestly think it would be worse were I trying to jog on it (for some reason, walking doesn't aggravate my knee very much at all).

If I had it to do over again, I would still be getting the elliptical.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:33 PM   #15  

I have been wanting to get an elliptical for a little while (just really don't have time to get to the gym across town). What would all of you out there suggeest as a good brand. I really don't have much money to work with so price is an issue as well.
abinormal is offline   Reply With Quote