Old 10-10-2005, 07:12 PM   #1  

Default Random thoughts about my weight...

So, I graduated back in June...and along with the farewell to my school, I said farewell to the trusty gym scale. I'm trying to find a quality analog scale, but I'm beginning to think that is an oxymoron...but I think that also applies to the digital scale. I have no clue if I've lost or gained weight. Someone might say...well, Mel, why not just take your measurements...and I would reply saying that I have tried taking measurements...

OHHHHHHH have I tried. My BEST FRIEND told me to just give it up, because I cannot get it! My body is just shaped so if I accidentaly move the measuring tape 1/4 of an inch or even less than that and I will be an inch to and 1 1/2 inch different. WOW! I don't have markings to tell me where I need to measure on my body...so I can lose and gain and gain and lose inches. What makes it worse is that ...

Don't read this if you gross out easily, I repeat, don't read this if you gross out easily... I can NEVER go to the bathroom. It's a family trait. I named it chronic constipation...I can go a week without using the restroom and not even notice. Ever heard of an entire family that cannot use the bathroom? Maybe we should join the circus...hummmmmmmm...one of my cousins has an extra two feet of intestines so it takes him signifacantly longer to go to the potty, so that might be everyone elses problem also. It sucks because that means my waist can measure differently w/o having actually lost/gained weight. For instance, one day I measured my waist and it was 41 inches around...I went to the potty and lo and behold...my waist was 39 inches and 2 centimeters. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (just a little scream)

Okay, you can read again...

Dont get me wrong, I know I've lost weight since I started this journey a year ago, but I don't know how much. I haven't gone down a pants size, but I guess that is because I carry my weight all over my body...I dont have problem spots, I have just one big problem. It sucks that I cant weight myself because I dont have a doctor's office I can go to and I can't find a scale...Did I mention what that scale did to me at the store? I got on it and it said one number...stepped off and got back on 5 seconds later and I lost two pounds...Oh yeah, this is fun!

I've lost 18 pounds (I know that from my trusty scale at the school gym that I cant go to anymore (not even in the same city anymore) but I havent gone down a dress size, but it doesnt shock me because a few years ago I got down to 218 and I was still a size 20...hummmmmmmm

Okay, I know this was a long post and if you actually read it you're probably thinking...what is wrong with this girl? But thats okay, because I know I am weird. I just wanted to type what I was feeling at this moment which is a tad bit of frustration.

Last edited by Universityprincess; 10-10-2005 at 07:38 PM.
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #2  
All That's Left of Me

You can do it!!! And I'm with you on the pant size thing. How frustrating! Some people I know weigh more than me (at the same height) and wear a size 14...and here I sit in my baggy (but not baggy enough) Lane Bryant size 16's!!! Arghhhhhh! Screw pants, just screw 'em all!!!!!
amandaholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:04 PM   #3  

LOL, let's stage a protest against pants! From what I've noticed about being on this site, weight doesn't seem to final determining factor in clothing size. Must be how you carry it...One of my friends wears a size 12 on the bottom and a size 20 or 22 on top...I see people on here who are my height and weight and wear a completly different size...Whats up with that?!?!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey you can do it! I havn't lost a pants size yet and I've lost 35 pounds! I was really squeezing into these here jeans. Anyway, if you really want to get a scale, I got one of the Tanitas and the big things are; to keep fresh batteries in it, to make sure it is always in the same spot on the floor (If I move it around, the floor isn't always as even so it acts differently) and to weigh in my barefeet. But its ussually pretty close to the WW scale.
Good job on the loss so far and keep it up!
plus we are all weird in our own way.
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:21 PM   #5  
Melting Butter

Pants STINK. And they come in all different measurements. Some 14's are actually 12's and some 12's are actually 14's, etc. And I will never understand how someone that is heavier than me wears the same size as me. It makes it frustrating when I try to figure out what size I will be when I reach my goal. How many pounds do you have to lose to lose a pant/dress size anyway? I think I might have lost a pant size but it's all relative. There's no way to tell.
And as far measuring yourself with a tape measure that mess never works!
My secret...always weigh yourself in the morning after you've gone to the bathroom and before you've had anything to eat or drink and before you've showered. That weight in my opinion is the most accurate.
And if it wasn't starting to get cold I'd say burn the pants!

healthyme05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #6  

Hey all, thanks for the encouragment...I hope to see some more change soon. I just want to go shopping for some size 18 pants...a true 18, not the size change they have been doing that puts the number 18 on a size 20. Has any one ever shopped at Torrid? Their sizes are OFF...I can wear a 16 there, but I know I am a 20...I like seeing the smaller number, but then I get annoyed because its more difficult to figure out what size I wear.

I think its supposed to be between 15-35 pounds that you lose a pants size...but part of me is thinking that it depends on the person because Jennie lost 35 pounds and hasn't gone down a pants size.

I might have to go look at the Tanitas scale, because I'd really like a way to see some kind of progress.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Even if a scale is not accurate, off by a pound, or 5 or 10 it should still be able to tell you if you have lost a pound since the last time you got on it. In other words, you might not be sure exactly what your weight is, but you will at least know how much you have lost.

Also, since you are at Uni...does the gym, or a nurses station have a scale you could use as opposed to your doctor.
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:44 PM   #8  

Thats true SkinnyJeans, but I went a month w/o weighing myself, so I dont know what happend during that month...so I step on the scale and see an increase, it's hard to know what happend during that month...the number might just be different because it is a different scale or I may have gained weight. Oh, and like I said I graduated so I don't have access to any scale except the scale in the store that gives different readings at different times.