Old 10-10-2005, 06:24 PM   #1  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Default Monday: Quit my job, changed my major, lost a pound: What a day!

I had to share this with y'all because I think you're the few who'd understand how huge this really is.

I quit my job selling shoes at a department store yesterday. I am tired of people treating me like I exist for the sole purpose of fetching them a shoe!!! I seem to have been moving down the ladder since I have been a personal trainer and a manager of a gym. I love the fitness and health industry, what happened? It took a lot of courage for me to go to personal training school because I have always been chubby and extremely self conscious. I thought that would push me into getting into awesome shape and taking the right care of myself. Well, I apparantly became too afraid of being judged because of the way I look(ed) because I quit training all together instead of trying to fix it, wasn't ready I guess. I am going to look for a job at a gym or health food store, because that's where my heart is, even if my fat butt isn't yet! I decided that's it ya know, why am I majoring in something that I am not even that into just because it's comfortable? So I went in to the advisor today and switched from Education to Nutrition!!! I called the University I was going to transfer to and cancelled the stuff I needed to (they don't offer Nutrition). I am scared as ****, there's so much math and science (I am totally not a math and science person, that I know of) plus I don't want people to ask me what my major is until I look better. Well, I am not going to let fear rule me anymore. I have been putting things off for too long because I am afraid of what people will think, how I will look to them, just because of my body! NO MORE!!! I am not going to say "when I lose weight" because i am just going to dive in and assume that I WILL lose weight and become more confident. I am bursting at the seems with excitement for my bravery and the fact that I am going to do something I really am passionate about and I am the most terrified I have ever been! WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!! And I have lost 17 pounds now, I can't believe it, another pound gone!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Good luck! You sound very excited about your new direction and I wish you the best. Don't worry what others are thinking because most likely they are more focused on themselves than you anyway.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:45 PM   #3  
The Resolute

YAY for U!!! Congrats on your courage! WAY TO GO!!!
erincrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:50 PM   #4  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
I am tired of people treating me like I exist for the sole purpose of fetching them a shoe!!!
Heh heh, sole, good pun.

Wow, what amazing changes. Thank goodness you are doing what so many people don't do -- follow your dreams and overcome your fears. That accomplishment is just as great as losing weight. I bet you'll be happier weighing 174 (for the time being) while working at a job you like and following your true calling of health care, than you would if you weighed 125 but sold out on your goals because you were afraid to make a change. Good for you.

And you are losing weight plenty fast.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #5  
All That's Left of Me

Of all else, you can take pride in knowing that you followed through with what most people only dream of doing. I am jealous and very proud of you!
amandaholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:17 PM   #6  
Determined

Good job girl!! Nothing more powerful than following your dreams!!
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #7  
Stephanie

Thanks ladies, so much!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 11:26 PM   #8  

Good job! You should follow your heart! I graduated with a degree in nutrition (it was about 5 years ago now...almost 6) and I don't remember a lot of math...hmmmmmmm...I did just do nutrition while a lot of other girls did nutrition and exercise physiology. I had to take Statistics and basic algebra but that was it. Yes, it is hard being the big girl in classes. I was the ONLY one over 120 pounds I think (not really an exaggeration here), but everyone was super nice and never said anything. They treated me like everyone else. Do what you love. There is a lot of science so good luck! YOu can do it! Actually, it was the speech classes I hated!
Amber
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:06 AM   #9  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

You go girl - sounds like a wonderfully exciting and exhausting day!
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Whew, I got tired reading that! Lots going on for you. It sounds exciting, even if you have a bit of hard work ahead of you it will make you appreciate it all the more when you accomplish your goals.
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:04 PM   #11  
Totally motivated!!

Congrats!! It's awesome that you changed your major to what you really want to do. I went back to school after having 3 years of business behind me to get a degree in biology (so it was basically like starting over!!!)! If you ever need help with the science stuff, just pm me and I'll help all that I can! :-) Good luck!!
gammagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:23 PM   #12  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Way to go, Stephanie!!!

You're going to do great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp
I am scared as ****, there's so much math and science (I am totally not a math and science person, that I know of)
I'm not a math/science person either, but I did something similar to you a few years ago. I quit my job teaching 7th grade World History & Religions and started vet tech/kennel management school. LOTS of math/science, and I was terrified, too! I mean, I could list all the Roman emperors in order in my sleep, but take (and pass) and hematology class???? I never would have thought that was possible just 3 years ago! But I think you'll find that your interest in the subject more than makes up for that fear -- and that you'll do fantastically!! Well done -- and congrats for knowing WHAT YOU WANT!! That in itself is a huge thing.

And like Gamma said, if you ever need any help, just let me know. I'm taking (and loving) Animal Nutrition right now, and it's the same basic thing. I mean, we're all mammals, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp
Well, I am not going to let fear rule me anymore.
I really admire you for making this commitment to yourself in your twenties...I'm in my thirties now (yes, I've crashed the 20-Something thread again ) and I wish like heck I'd won the battle with fear when I was younger. I really regret all the years I wasted in a career that didn't make me happy and then coming home and hiding from the world because I felt so fat and miserable....It's excellent that you've realized this all NOW and are taking charge of your future for YOU!!

Congrats, sweetie! And well done!

Last edited by LovesBassets; 10-11-2005 at 05:26 PM.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:57 PM   #13  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:54 PM   #14  
Stephanie

I will totally be PMing you guys (Gammagirl and Kate). I love you girls, all of you, thanks for all the support!