Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 10:07 AM   #1  
Tryin' Again

S/C/G: 235/210/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Weekly Thread 10/9 - 10/15

Happy new week everyone!!!

Here's the thread for this week, I think Misty was going to be away today, so I'm starting it.

I've been OP most of this week. I've joined a fall challenge on e-diets so I'll probably be staying with the program for the next 8 weeks. If anyone here would like to have some kind of 8 week or so challenge, let me know and maybe we could make something up.

PM me if you would like to participate with me in a structured challenge. You can IM me too, using Yahoo or MSN.

Hugs,

Last edited by Kitty53; 10-09-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #2  

Hey, just weighing in. I am 157.5lbs. It sounds like I've maintained but I actually went from 157.5 to 160 to 157.5 again in the past 2 weeks. So, technically it's a weight loss week. Anywho, I'm just hoping for more success this week.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:21 AM   #3  
THICK and tired of it

Girls, girls, girls- It seems like the last few times I've posted (and they've been few and far between, let me tell you) I've said please forgive me for being away so long! And now, it seems, I must say it again! Oh, I miss you sistats! But I've been so blasted busy with school that I haven't had much timeto myself- and to be honest, when I have had time, the thought of sitting down at this computer makes me want to hurl!

Well, I stopped writing in my tracker, which was not a good thing. That's how I fall off the diet- er, lifestyle change, I mean. So I'm back to tracking, and I haven't gained anything back- in fact, I think I've gone down a pound or two, but I'm not going to weigh until my WI on Saturday.

I wish I had time now to read through the posts from the last few weeks, but really I do not- but I'm wondering how you all are, and I hope you're doing well- I'm going to SCHEDULE some time later to read up and catch up with you sistas. In the mean time, I'm glad to see so many of my sistas still here and working hard- and Maggie- welcome, my dear!! It seems you and I are "joining" at the same time! We'll do it, girlfriend!

All for now- I promise to be back soon...
Old 10-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #4  

Good morning all!

Lori-So Glad to see you!!!!! I have been thinking about you and Lisa wondering how well you have been doing. How is school? I hope it's going well.

Mink-Wel all have those up and down weeks. It's WAY better than gaining 6 pounds. So you are doing GREAT!!!!! Did you decide to join WW or are you sticking to your other plan? Tell Amanada we miss her around these parts, but we understand she's busy, busy, busy

Well my weekend was fun my eatingc ould have been better and now we're all sick with a cold LOL. But it's all good. I ate better than had eaten two weeks ago so something has to show for it right? I am being a total slacker in the exercise department. I am trying really hard to not go grocery shopping except for thinsg liek bread and milk the next few weeks, but I feel discouraged b/c all that is left is junk I don't want to eat. Well the kiddos are up for the day and I hear them getting loud, which like too quiet is never good thing. hav ea greta day all!!
Old 10-11-2005, 07:53 AM   #5  

I decided to do WW online this morning. It's $16.95 a month versus $48.00 a month. In three months if I don't like it I will go back to my meetings. I feel a little bad, b/c I really like my leader and all, bu I just don't feel super motivated, I am trying to shake things up.

How is everyone else doing this week? Kind of quiet.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:44 PM   #6  
Alis volat propiis

S/C/G: 270/See Slider/145-140

Misty, please do let us know how the WW at home works for you. I'd like to know what it gives you over and above the materials we've gotten from meetings. As you know, I no longer go to meetings. I think that was one of the reasons I backlashed so badly. But I'm not going to go back just yet. I managed ONE DAY OP yesterday, so I'm hoping that's my turnaround point. Plus I stopped contributing regularly to our board. It's amazing how what a difference that made. Like I has explained, not going to meetings and not coming here, I no longer felt like i was actively involved with the program. I think you can go off-program points wise but still feel like it's a part of your life IF you stay connected. I didn't, and it set me way back. Take it from me, Misty... stick with it even if you aren't feeling motivated. I gained back 12 of the 14 pounds I lost; don't let yourself get in my position! Good for you for recognizing the insidious state of complacency that often undermines our best efforts.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #7  

Hi all.

Well not super happy with the online. I've actually emailed them to see if I can cancel it or if I los emy money, if that's the case I'll stick it out.

It's not that it's bad or anything it just I'd rather do meetings. The onlie would save me $79 over three months which is what pushed me to decide to do it. The journal is nice, but it's hard for me to do everything online. You can print a journal but it's only for 1 day and not set up as nice as the trackers. They have lots and lots of recipes, and I like the activity calculator. But if you don't have the books or sliders you have to do all your points look ups and calculations online. They do have lots of articles, some only available to members. I like to read the success stories but I think you can access them without subscription. The community is large, but kind of hard to get around in my opinion. I do like the progress charts, but I like to little stickers you get at meetings better. They have some nice assesments and some information on gettings tarted into fittness.

The articles and stuff are ok. I think they are a bit brief and didn't really tell me anything I don't already know after years of trying this stuff. They did a fairly nice job of explaining the program to you if you are new to it. I like that it takes the math out of it for me with the journal. the recipe builder is ok too.

But, if you have the materials and a support system in place then you have about what you need. The online doesn't offer me anything extra. If you don't have the stuff, it may be helpful.

I will really miss my meetings. For the money I think I could do it on my own and save. I don't want to do it on my own though. I did it and did well, but it's not what I need right now. I made myself a nice journal in excell and little charts and stuff, but I like getting out of the house and interacting with adults.

We'll see how it turns out.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:04 PM   #8  

Hey sistas..just wanted to let you all know that I am back home finally!! I got home today after my flight was cancelled yesterday. I will be back on plan 100% tomorrow...thats a promise. My trainer has already called to see when I will be back in action. I am so ready to get back to it. Glad this is all over with.

Misty-Sorry you don't care for the online..I know from past experience that I am just not disciplined enough to do it on my own. I MUST HAVE SUPPORT! At first I thought that made me weak..but now I don't think so...its ok to need the support that WW gives me. Let us know how everything works out with getting your money back!!

Maggie-Girl..so glad to see you here..you will lose those 12 lbs again plus some!

Well just wanted to check in..hope you are all doing well!!

Marcie
Old 10-12-2005, 07:02 AM   #9  

Marcie-I am so glad you made it home safe and sound. It must feel really good. How are things down there?

I got another 10 minute solution workout DVD yesterday. This one I got on amazon. I think they are really cool, they fit my lifestyle really well. This new one is toning for beginners. I did the first three segments of the pilates one yesterday. It wasn't as hard as the first time, but I had to modify alot of stuff in the pilates for abs segment b/c despite being quite large my butt does not make a good balancing point LOL. So I tried my best and where I couldn't do it I did crunches. Now I just have to find time to combine them with the treadmill once my ankle heals.

I stayed fairly OP yesterday. I snuck a few bites of my son's dinner so I might have been over a point or two LOL. That is really hard for me to not do. I hate to waste food, and i make them yummy stuff. They finish eating and there lies a untouched little something on thier plate. I was feeding it to my dogs, but they are so chunky now it's scarey so they are on a no people food diet. WHich leaves me with all this food and no place to put it. We don't have trash pick up here, everyone burns stuff. What we can't burn we take to the dump every couple weeks, so I can't ahve food sitting around for a couple weeks. I could dump it in the backyard, but the dogs being dogs will go eat it.

Anyway, if that's teh worst thing I face today I am doing ok, right? Have a fabulous day everyone!!!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:07 AM   #10  

Misty-I tell ya..its a warzone down here...it looks just awful and its kinda crazy to see Hum V's driving around your town. The house acrosss the street from us had some pretty good damage...we truly are so lucky. All we have is trees down. I had tears in my eyes driving into town seeing all that is gone and all the houses with trees on their roofs...so sad...anyway...that is the scene down here.

Back on track today..fixing some breakfast and then off to the grocery store. Still trying to stock up on everything that we lost.

Hope everyone has a great on plan day!!
Marcie
Old 10-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #11  

Marcie-I am so glad to hear your home is fairly in tact. My prayers are with everyone in your region. I have not been able to keep up on the news b/c it freaks the kids out. It seems our world has been bombarded with HUGE tragedies of late. My heart goes out to everyone, here and abroad. I hope you guys are able to fidn a new kind of normal soon and that things get quickly on track.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:44 AM   #12  
Alis volat propiis

S/C/G: 270/See Slider/145-140

Marcie.... I'm so glad you're home and safe. Good luck with getting everything back in order.

It's not weak to need support, especially with something like weight loss. I truly feel that overeating is a form of addiction, and it's rare to see an alcoholic or drug addict break his addiction without medical or spiritual support, or both.

Misty, sounds like you need to make LESS FOOD! Try to examine each night for a week or so how much is leftover and then adjust your cooking accordingly. Or maybe put it in containers and get it right into the fridge so someone can eat it for lunch another day.

Do you compost, by the way? That would be a good way to dispose of those little extras without feeling wasteful.

I'm so happy to be back on track again. Three days and counting! Whoo-hoo. You can'e tell, maybe, but I'm being sarcastic. Isn't it amazing how quickly you start to feel better once you stay OP for a few days? Not only physically but emotionally and mentally as well. I do, anyway.

I'm a little concerned because I have anothr business trip coming up. Four days in South Carolina. Same deal... conference food, business dinners, parties and receptions. Aaargh. I've been trying like heck to figure out a sane way to stay OP, but it's hard since I can't really keep food in the hotel and I am constantly on the run. I guess the best I can do is eat as sensibly as I can at each meal and maybe keep some nonperishable treats in my room to keep me in control at the receptions. And I MUST switch to wine coolers or some sort of lower-cal drink, instead of regular wine or hardcore stuff. I know it sounds weird, but I kind of feel like I have to hold my own with the "big boys" who are drinking jack on the rocks or some such. People have weird perceptions of writers and editors, i think.

Anyway, a question. If you are like 3 points short one day and then go 3 points over the next, do you count that as 3 flex points or do you just consider it even, since you were 3 points short one day?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:26 AM   #13  

Maggie-You are doing a fabulous job. Don't knock three days, for me three days is a great thing!!

I agree, food is an addiction. But unlike other addictions you can't live without food. You can live without gambling, alcohol and drungs, but not food. Most people do need support. It can come in a lot of forms, here, WW meetings, family. I lost around 25-30 pounds doing WW on my own. I just couldn't keep it off. It's not so much that the WW online stuff was bad. But I have mastercook (replaces the recipe builder), I have fitday I could journal there. I have access to thousands of recipes online. I have all the WW books. If one did not have all those resources then WW online would be fabulous I think. I need teh meeting for a break from this house. I stare at the same four walls all day everyday and all night too. I need to do something for myself. I need to give myself permission to spend money, b/c I don't earn a salary anymore it's really hard to spend money on myself. I'm not weak I'm doing what I need to do to get what I want. What I want is important, I have finally learned that.

Your job posses some serious challenges. But here's the thing if you conquer it once it will get easier. This trip focus on you and how important you are.

First, pack single servings of good for you non perishable snacks. Single servings will help you from not say eating a whole sleeve of wheat crackers. Speak up for yourself while dining out. Ask for dressing on the side, entres that are grilled or broiled, veggies steamed. Skip the bread and potatoe and ask for double veggies. Split a dessert of skip it. Avoid appetizers (or choose stuff liek unbreaded shrimp), the bread basket, and those unhealthy trays of cookies, doughnuts, danishes. Try to bring with you something you can have for breakfast, so you don't show up starved. A cereal bar is far better than a danish. Order wine spritzers, not sure if they are anygood but they have half the points as a regular glass of wine. That's a trick our leader suggested several times.

Find an achor. These help me. Put something in your pocket our leader gives us pebbles. She calls them stepping stones. She tells the little story about trying to cross a brook. If you try to run across the stones you will get wet and fall, but if you take small steps, taking your time you will make it and not be as likeley to fall. So the pebble reminds us of the story,a nd our goals. I keep stuff on my fridge, pictures on my computer desktop ( a plce where I used to eat alot). Or choose a peice of jewlery wear it to remind yourself of what you want, you don't have to buy a new one just look through what you have. I like a braclet on my right wrist b/c that's the hand I eat with. I also have a charm necklace with charms on it I have gotten myself as rewards or reminders. DS broke my chain though so I can't wear it right now.

But don't forget it's ok to indulge. Just keep it under control, and WRITE it down!!!! Tracking is a pain but be honest and right it all down. It's easier to come to terms with results and to understand them whne you see the eating in writing. Look through your books. Think about what they usually serve and write it down, look up the points. That way you are armed before you go. If you know where you will be dining out perhaps you can plan before you even leave what you'd like to eat. Plan ahead and you'll do great!!!! And if you do slip, it's OK. You can get back up and try again, just don't quit!

As far as your question about being over and then under I usually check off the flex points. Then later in the week (usually the weekend) if I find I am gonna need them I say "eh it all comes out in the wash" LOL and I use them. Probably not the best technique. Same deal with AP I don't often eat them that day but if I am a point or two short at the end of the week figures it's all good. It's only a point or two not 10 LOL.

Hope this helps a bit

Last edited by MistySeptember; 10-12-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:52 AM   #14  

Oh and sometimes at our teacher conferences (certainly not the same scale as what you do, we went to colleges not the Waldorff LOL) but they would have a form to fill out for suggestions. Point out that that you'd like to see healthier alternatives in the menus.

Sometiems being open about what you are doing helps, b/c other people will express the same. Focus on the fact you are trying get healthy, even people who don't seem to worried about thier weight can relate to that. You never know. But that is up to you andwhat you are comfortable with.

Ok I gues sI should go pay attention to the kids now LOL
Old 10-12-2005, 03:56 PM   #15  

Just wanted to say Hello! I rejoined WW on 10/01 and I'm excited to be joining you!! (This is my 2nd time with WW -- 2 years ago I was on it for 2 months and lost 15 lbs. but then got pregnant -- thankfully I lost all the pregnancy weight but still need to lose 40 + lbs.)
Closed Thread