Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-09-2005, 08:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/175/145

Height: 5' 3"

Default heart rate/fat burning zone

Hey,
According to my age, my 65% (so called fat buring zone) is in the 122 bpm range. Now I am 20lbs overweight, but go to the gym most days. When I get there after work my heart rate is already almost at 120 just from the day. As far as my breathing goes, at 122 bpm I could negotiate a peace agreement without pausing. On the weekend it is slightly lower, but it still takes nothing to get me up to that level and I am hardly moving and not even coming close to breaking a sweat. What should I be aiming for? Should I just say forget it when it comes to the fat burning zone and just do the highest level I can sustain for an hour? Any thoughts? Really I just want the most effective way to lose these last 20lbs and I want to use my cardio time in the most efficient way possible.
Thanks,
Pools
pools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

It isn't exactly the question you asked, but this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64467 talks about cardio/fat burning zones etc.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:50 AM   #3  

The 65% of 220 - age rule of thumb only works for about half the population. I'd suggest experimenting some - try bumping it up by 10 bpm each time you exercise, until you get to a point where you can talk in short phrases, and feel like you are working, but not working too hard. You want a pace where you feel like you could keep going for hours if you had to, but you don't really want to go for more than 60 minutes. Just don't go above a heartrate of 180 or so - that level isn't really safe for sustained effort. (Probably 140 will be high enough).
oliviacw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/175/145

Height: 5' 3"

That's exactly what I was looking for ladies. Thank you so much. Have a great day.
Pools
pools is offline   Reply With Quote