Old 10-08-2005, 08:29 PM   #1  

Default Nutrients help identify the problem!

For the past week and a half.. I have been experience large amount of hair loss (badly). Ive checked into my protein levels.. I average about 50-60 sometimes higher.
Ive heard that low protein can do this to the hair but anyone know what else could cause this problem as far as nutrients?
Jewelz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #2  
it's always something

It could be a variety of things. I found this quote online

Quote:
Hair loss can be triggered by a variety of factors including pregnancy, stress, surgery and age-related hormonal changes, to name a few. But few people realize that weight loss can also cause hair to shed, likely due to a nutritional deficiency. Although iron deficiency is often associated with diet-related hair loss, a range of nutrient deficiencies can result in thinning hair, dermatologists say. Changes in levels of zinc, magnesium, protein, essential fatty acids and vitamins D, B and A can all trigger episodes of shedding hair. The problem affects both men and women, but women are more likely to notice it and seek treatment, say doctors.
The full article is at http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05256/570686.stm and contains a lot of interesting information.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #3  

Thanks Suzanne! Very helpful!
Old 10-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

There is also a condition called alopecia (I think that's how you spell it) that causes your hair to fall out. Actually that's the baldness, the causes are not all known. My sister had this happen to her. Nearly all her hair fell out 3 times, and the last time it did not grow back. She has worn a wig for more than 20 years. The doctors think it was caused by her very bad allergies. But if you continue to lose a lot of your hair, check with your doctor.
Quote:
Alopecia areata (al-oh-PEE-shah air-ee-AH-tah) is a highly unpredictable, autoimmune skin disease resulting in the loss of hair on the scalp and elsewhere on the body. This common but very challenging and capricious disease affects approximately 1.7 percent of the population overall, including more than 4.7 million people in the United States alone.
http://www.naaf.org/default2.asp
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #5  

Pat~ I didnt of such illnes! That would be horrible! I will take definate note of it.
I'm hoping I might have came across my issue. My calcium levels is only 1/2 of daily recommendation. I literally hate milk. Skim milk is ok but to much is just nasty. So Im lacking 600mgs a day, so I bought some calcium hoping it will help me resolve the issue. I also found out from a nbc site you can use cayenne pepper to help with circulation with the blood flow to the scalp. Ive been doing some heaving reading. I hate this!

If it does continue to fall out I will definatly have a talk with the MD. My family has a history of thin hair but not excess hair loss like this.