Old 10-07-2005, 08:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

Default Help me find my dream video!

Okay, I'm looking for a new exercise video. I seem to remember, from a few years ago when I was exercising, enjoying Sweating to the Oldies, by Richard Simmons (even though the guy kind of drives me nuts). Only now I don't have a VCR, just a DVD player, so I can't watch it.

Here's my very picky list of things I want:

1. Must be playable on a DVD player.
2. Need a beginner video. I'm about 160 pounds overweight, and going upstairs and downstairs in my house is about all the exercise I've gotten in years. I'm sure I won't even do the whole thing to start. I need something for out-of-shape beginners.
3. Hopefully has heftier people in it. Not a requirement, strictly, but that's one of the things I liked about Richard Simmons.
4. Upbeat music. The oldies were okay, they picked some fun songs. I'm 33, some of the sillier songs from the 80s are good, or today's 'adult alternative' though I doubt there's anything based on that, alas.
5. Under an hour. Something like 45 minutes is ideal, including the warmup and cooldown.

So, any suggestions?
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:03 AM   #2  

Check out Leslie Sansone, she meets all of your requirements and is very popular, I think she even has an oldies workout. Good Luck!
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:34 AM   #3  

Yes, Leslie came to mind immediately. I started using her 30-minute workout when I was 170+ overweight. I couldn't even do the whole thing to start with, but just did what I could and worked up from there. The music for most of them is generic, and she does not showcase overweight people, but the exercise is VERY VERY doable for someone very overweight.

I also like Susan Powters Burn Fat and Get Fit. It's a more strenuous workout, but again you can do what you can and work up from there. I like it a lot because she's constantly talking about modify, modify, modify -- "If you can't do that, then just do this." She also includes a little light weight training, which is quite valuable.

You might go to www.collagevideo.com and shop around there. I really like that site because they carry nearly everything available in regular retail, and they evaluate each video to let you know exactly what it consists of. They also provide clips so you can preview the video online, and of course you can search according to different criteria.

FYI it's going to be hard to find a lot videos with hit pop music, especially original artists, because it costs a lot to license such music.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #4  

richard's videos are also available on dvd. you can get them new or used from amazon.com. it's amazon.ca if you live in canada.
ciecie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #5  
Determined

There's one I bought for my Mom, who has similar issues as you, by Denise Austin. I think it is called lite and fit? If you go to collagevideo.com you can even search for videos that are tailored to your fitness level and keep in mind the things you can't do yet. I love that site!!
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:40 PM   #6  

i have visited collagevideo.com. i wasn't that impressed with what they had to offer.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #7  
one leg press at a time

I recommend Fitprime workouts, however, there are no big people in them. These are a set of 6 dvd's (3 crosstrainers.)
The moves are slow and controlled, so they are easy on your knees. They also show beginer/advanced modifications so you can adjust to your level.
For more detailed info and previews, see the links below.

Metaboost: http://www.whfn.com/metaboost.php
Flexposture: http://www.whfn.com/flexposture.php
Pump: http://www.whfn.com/pump.php
Lean: http://www.whfn.com/lean.php
Up[per Body Burn: http://www.whfn.com/upperbody.php
Lower Body Burn: http://www.whfn.com/lowerbody.php

Also, if you can get them, The Firm made 3 tapes called Firm basics, they are b/w45-60 mi utes and are fabulous for beginners. The bascics included Fat Burning, Sculpting With Weights, & Abs Buns, & Thighs. Again, these don't have larger people in them, but the moves went well with each piece of music, and results are seen and felt within 2 weeks- which is a definite plus!
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:23 AM   #8  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Denise Austin's Personal Training System DVD may be good for you (refer to the other post in this forum specifically about that) -- it has several levels of intensity so it's good (and challenging) for everybody and gives you room to progress.

EDIT: Just saw some of your other requirements, unfortunately this DVD doesn't have really catchy music--but I personally like Denise 'cause she has a very encouraging but not-pushy attitude.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:06 AM   #9  

i just checked collagevideo again. i'm very impressed with what they had to offer. you may also want to try ebay or yahoo shopping. collagevideo didn't have the particular exercise video that i was looking for so i went to ebay and got it. it was richard simmons' broadway sweat. i could have gotten it at other sites including richardsimmons.com but i would have paid much more.

Last edited by ciecie; 10-10-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #10  

Thank for posting this! I was about to do just that myself, as I'm also 160lbs overweight (okay, 170...) and am a total beginner. I have bad knees, a bad back and getting up and down from standing to sitting position pops my wrists out of place.

I don't know when this other person (170lbs IS another human being!) latched themselves onto me, but they are about to get exorcized. I mean, exercised. LOL.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:15 PM   #11  

welcome to the group madscientist! before you begin your exercise routine, see your doctor!
Old 10-10-2005, 04:35 PM   #12  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I just got the Leslie Sansone walk diet dvd and I like it alot. Very low impact, doesn't hurt me (I have bad knees and ankles) but it makes me sweat and gets my heart rate up. Also she has a few (like 7 i think) people in it. There's a big woman and a big man and one that looks kind of overweight and a couple of small ones so the people are well rounded as far as weight. The music ain't that wonderful but once i get the moves down I'll be able to mute the dvd and put my own music on.

Last edited by timmyshawn; 10-10-2005 at 04:37 PM.
timmyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:27 AM   #13  

Height: 5'8

Default Netflix!

I too am very overweight and out of shape, and I have actually been renting exercise DVD's through Netflix. They have hundreds of them, and I have been getting 3 at a time to try them. It has been working out great. I have bought many video's in the past that I either didn't like, or were too hard. This way, I am trying the videos to see how I like them, and my original plan was to find ones I liked and then buy them, but I am really liking the variety I have now. They also have customer reviews that you can read about all of the different workouts so you can see how other people liked them, because everyone is different.

You should definitely try anything by Leslie Sansone- my last DVD shipment had three of her workouts, and I have really enjoyed them, and was able to do all of them.
Rizeninme is offline   Reply With Quote