Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-07-2005, 12:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/170/130

Height: 5'2

Default Connection w/nutrition and depression?

Hello Everyone-

I am 31 and have a total of 90-100 pounds to lose. I have been on a semi-vacation for the past month. My eating habits have been horrible to say the least. This week, I've noticed that I have been so sad and tired that I do not even want to get out of bed . I wanted to know if anyone notices a difference with their mood when they are eating healthy vs. eating junk. When I return home, I am going to join WW. Thanks in advance!
JazzyNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 06:08 AM   #2  

I notice a massive difference in my mood if I don't eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. If I eat mainly carbs (sugar!!!) and fatty foods I feel so low, and unmotivated. I am sure the complex mix of vitamins and minerals in fruit and vegetables and whole grains makes a big difference to our brain function, as well as our physical health.

One of the things about my depression when it's serious, is that I can't concentrate, shopping is hard, cooking impossible, and I just want to eat something "instant" which ends up being breads or take aways. I have been quite fortunate in that since I have been exercising and eating well, the depression has been kept at bay. It's still there, but more like a dark thin filmy cloud at the edges of me, rather than a dark stormy one engulfing me, if that makes sense.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 08:00 AM   #3  
Collie Mommie

I notice when I eat a lot of junk food, I don't have the energy to go to the gym, which I find is very important to raising my mood. The junk food makes me very lethargic.
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 11:52 AM   #4  
Determined

I agree with kykaree, I have a HUGE difference in mood depending on what I'm eating. I don't know if it's because my body performs differently on these foods (though I think that's part of it.) I also think it has partly to do with the fact that I feel disappointed in myself when I eat poorly, and partially also what the other poster said; bad food = no energy = no gym. Working out has, by far, the most profound effect on my mood. It helps me much more than antidepressants, and with no side effects. Good luck with WW!
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:26 PM   #5  
prepare for the BEST time

I think what you feed your body definitely affects your brain and your mood. I try to remember this if I get the urge for massive doses of carbs/sugar. and the more I have it, the more I want it, and the worse I keep feeling.

I pacify myself by making a lower-fat version of the treat...(baked fried chicken, baked *french-fries* and my absolute favorite Morningstar farms veggie burger Philly-cheese steak, with lettuce/tomato/no bread).

We have catering at work and my only vices are those times when there is sesame chicken, spicy noodles and Pizza (one or 2 meals per week)....but my caterer will make my pizza with skim mozzerel.

I think planning versus that starving what can I shove in my mouth right now plays a big part in my control. I've learned the hard way that I simply cannot buy ice-cream, because I will eat the entire carton.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #6  

Oh gosh can I relate to that. I don't buy "treat" foods to store in the house. If I want ice cream I have to walk into our village and go into our quaint old fashioned ice cream store and I buy one scoop in a cone. I just can't have some things in the house, or they would be gone!!! This way I get to use some calories before I consume them!!!

Our work restaurant is a godsend. They do at least one healthy hot dish (usually more) and plenty of veggie side dishes, they have fresh cold salmon, chicken skewers and a salad bar every day, as well as jacket potatoes and a sandwich bar. There are always a range of healthy options.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:44 PM   #7  
prepare for the BEST time

OH BOY...now I have a *visual* about freshly churned old-fashioned ICE CREAM CONES, I'm drooling......you might just push me over the edge!!!!
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:27 PM   #8  

Oh no!!!! Come back!!! Don't do it!!!! I take it all back!!! Just think of fresh liver or something
Old 10-08-2005, 06:34 PM   #9  
Oreo Monger

There is definitely a connection. This connection is my problem! I'm only happy when I get ahold of those foods that get me there...sugar & carbs. Thus the vicious cycle. But be strong and stay motivated. Don't let yourself go any further. I have twice the road you do, and it looks scary!!! But I will get there eventually. WW is an excellent program from what I've heard. Good luck!
manicbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:20 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 227/170/130

Height: 5'2

Thank you for the wonderful input. I had nutrition in school and I learned how it affects us, but I like to hear from women who are in the same struggle as myself. I'm very grateful to have been introduced to this website. I can tell it's going to be an advantage to reaching my weight loss goals!
JazzyNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #11  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

I find that binging makes me depressed, mainly because I feel like a failure. Whereas eating healthy makes me happy, because I have self-confidence that comes from achieving a goal.

Plus caffeine and sugar lead to "downs" after the highs...
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote