Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-05-2005, 11:33 AM   #1  

Default How much protein does a person need?

I know I don't eat enough protein but am just curious how much I really need while weight training? I thought I read somewhere that you need to take your weight and divide that in half and that is how many ounces of protein you need daily? Is this correct? I am not interested in protein shakes (yuck!) but the real thing (eggs, cheese, lean meats etc..) Any words of wisdom ladies?
Gumbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:12 PM   #2  

Hi,
I asked the same question in How much protein http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63192

IMHO, I personally can not fulfill those needs when I avoid protein shakes. I personally would quack from the amount of egg whites you have to eat to achieve required amount. I found Champion Nutrition protein powder which tastes great to me and that is what I take at least twice a week.

I have to add though that I do not eat mammals - so for me it is turkey, chicken, eggs, nuts and cheese. Probably if you eat lean beef it will be easier - fitday.com is the best way to measure how much per day you eat.

Sandy.

Last edited by Sashenka; 10-05-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #3  

1 gram protein per Kilogram of bodyweight per day really should do it, but most bodybuilders recommend alot more. A reasonably balanced diet should take care of it.

I have heard of strict vegan bodybuilders having trouble getting enough protein, but not too many others, although practically everyone worries about it.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #4  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

My trainer has me aiming for 120 grams of protein a day . LOL, I love her to pieces, but THAT IS TOUGH! So I (realistically) aim for 100 grams, and usually hit between 85 - 90 grams. I happen to love my protein shakes -- they're yummy! All my meals are protein-based, plus I have higher-protein snacks like low-fat cottage cheese, low-fat string-cheese, a hard-boiled egg, or (occasionally) some almonds or walnuts.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 05:44 PM   #5  
Mel

I aim for my protein/carb/fat ratios to be 45%P/35%C/20%F. I rarely hit it perfectly, but I have no problem getting in about 135-140 grams of protein per day. I eat a lot of low fat cottage cheese, egg whites, tuna, salmon, turkey breast, chicken breast, shell fish, lean beef, pork tenderloin, some tofu, and protein powders. Most of my carbs come from unlimited vegetables, some fruit each day, and oatmeal, brown rice or sweet potatoes. (Except the days when I do a nosedive into a bag of peanut M&M's...but hey, there's protein in there somewhere!)

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:06 PM   #6  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
(Except the days when I do a nosedive into a bag of peanut M&M's...but hey, there's protein in there somewhere!)
"Nosedive." Hee hee.

Yer funny, Mel . How many cups of peanut M&Ms have I burned off....? 163?

"Nosedive." That is hilarious.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:39 PM   #7  

ditto to Mel's suggestion ( not including the candy)
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote