Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 08:56 AM   #1  

Default Calcium question

What percentage of a food needs to be calcium before you can use it as one of your "milks"?
Does this question make sense?
I am really trying to follow program and eating all of my fruits and veggies like a good girl and TRYING to get my calcium/milk intake for each day. I know you can eat things like yogurt for you milks and the WW smoothies....but my yogurt list the calcium as 20% and the WW smoothies (made with water) are 50%.
Can anyone give me an idea what the minimum % should be for it to qualify?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:38 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

It is not just a calcium requirement it must contain the equivalent of all the following:

CALCIUM
PROTEIN
ZINC
RIBOFLAVIN
VITAMIN D

that 1 cup of milk has to be considered a dairy serving.

To be considered a dairy it is:

1 cup of milk
1 cup of yogurt (most yogurts are only 6 oz servings so they are only 3/4 a dairy serving)
1 cup of pudding (made with milk)
1 1/2 oz of hard or semisoft cheese

there are a few other things such as 12 oz fast foodmilk shake and such but usually they are not pointworthy (for example most fast food shakes are like 8-10 points).
Old 10-05-2005, 08:35 AM   #3  

Kelly-Thanks for the reply! Trying to do this program correctly is hard when you don't have all the information you need!!
Old 10-05-2005, 10:42 AM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Why don't you have all the info. It is in all the booklets and online information that you can get at meetings, ordering the at home program or paying for online.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Sherry - I try to get 2 -3 dairy servings (low fat) per day but I also take a calcium tablet that is fortified with vitamin D and magnesium. I have heard/read from several sources that it is important calcium, vitamin D and magnesium are 3 of the best things to take along with a multivitamin.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:31 AM   #6  

I asked my leader what the requirement were for a food to be considered as a milk requirement, and she admitted she was not really sure, then she made some joke how she did know that you could not melt a WW ice cream bar and drink it and have it count. Ha Ha. I have read the books, but simply find it difficult to get my milks in, I love cheese though and was hoping that a slice of my favorite might help me get in my requirement....which is why I wanted to know specifically what was needed.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:29 AM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

It is somewhere around page 34-38 that shows the requirements of the Week 1 Booklet. BTW I'd report a leader that did what your's did.
Closed Thread