Old 10-04-2005, 05:48 AM   #1  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Default Protein Question

Anyone got any ideas they can share with me on high protein, low carb, low fat foods besides beans? i am doing good keeping my fat below 30% but I seem to be high on carbs and low on protein every day. Thanks.
timmyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:07 AM   #2  
Meg

How about chicken and turkey breast, egg whites, lowfat cottage cheese, fish and seafood, lean beef, and soy protein meat substitutes?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:50 AM   #3  
Dream Big

I've been doing the chicken and turkey. I can't eat seafood (even the smell makes my stomach turn). I will give the soy protein products a try. any recommendations? I tried one kind of veggie burger in the past but it smelled like wet dog when it was cooking and tasted worse. I don't eat alot of bread and stuff, but my oatmeal and veggies are pushing my carb count up. It's not that I'm on low carb but I'm getting 30% or less fat, 20 to 25% protein and the rest is carbs (approx.50 to 55%) every day and it seems unbalanced. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:23 AM   #4  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyshawn
I tried one kind of veggie burger in the past but it smelled like wet dog when it was cooking and tasted worse.
That's a pretty good assessment of some of the veggie burgers I've tried in the past. I don't like the ones that try to duplicate a hamburger. But I do love some of the other varieties, like Morningstar tomato and basil burgers, or their bean burgers. And I really love their "chix" patties, they taste just like chicken. If you experiment with different brands and varieties, you'll probably find a few that you like, too
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:17 AM   #5  
Mel

I've started using tofu in stir fries and using it to bake protein muffins. Here's a thread with links to sites containing tofu recipes.

Another lean meat protein source is pork tenderloin. Just don't smother it in sauces. Egg whites, cottage cheese, chicken, turkey, salmon, lean beef, and tun are my staples.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:51 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

I also find that the Morningstar Farms breakfast patties (not the links) taste more like sausage than the harmburger ones do like hamburger (got that? ) Otherwise, meat is pretty much your option. Would making a smoothie with protein powder still have too many carbs?
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:49 PM   #7  
Dream Big

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. Suzanne I go grocery shopping this weekend and i'll give the Morning Star Farms a try. I haven't tried them yet. Any thought as to which one I should use to break myself in?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:04 PM   #8  

I love morningstar farms...I am partial to the gardenburger though...I find no resemblance to wet dog! I have yet to try the others, but again, heard they are yummy! Good luck.
tampagirlcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #9  
it's always something

I used to LOVE the gardenburger fire roasted vegetable burgers, but no one carries them here anymore. Maybe they were discontinued. But they were good

Sister Jennifer talked me into trying the Morningstar corn dogs and I really expected to hate them. I don't even eat REAL hot dogs, lol. But darned if they weren't good! And they just have 150 calories each, are yummy smothered in mustard, and are almost addictive, lol.

I love their 'chicken' patties and nuggets. I like to cut them into pieces and put them in a salad with a honey dijon dressing, as a mock fried chicken salad

I tried their sausage links last week and they were horrible! So they aren't all keepers.

A lot of members here have discussed Morningstar Farms in the past. You might find these threads helpful..

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29695

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51286

Also you can do a search for 'morningstar' and find over 300 threads that mention them
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #10  

low fat cottage cheese rocks my world
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:42 AM   #11  
Nut Gatherer

S/C/G: 145/145/125

Height: 5'4"

I've been a veggie for 14 years now, and swear I live off the following:
--Morningstar Farms Ranch "chicken" patties
--Boca's plain "chicken" patties - DH is a carnivore and he can't believe they aren't real!
--Morningstar breakfast patties
--Quorn naked cutlets (like a plain chicken breast - great with sauce on top)
--Quorn stirfry tenders (pre-cut into stirfry sized pieces)
--ff yogurts

The Quorn brand stuff is hard to find, usually you have to go to health food stores to get it.

--Sara
SkinnySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:05 AM   #12  
the muse of memory

Me too. I thought I hated it, but so many people around here swear by it that I decided to grit my teeth and try a spoonful when I had it onhand for a recipe. To my considerable surprise, I didn't hate it. The texture didn't bother me. With the addition of 1 teaspoon of lovely jam, I found it divine. Recently, I've gone the other way and tried mixing it with my favorite jarred salsa and love it that way, too. Recently, I've started mixing it 1/2 and 1/2 with FF SF yogurt, as Mrs. Jim has suggested - and I've found it better than yogurt by itself. So, I definitely second that recommendation, even if you think that you hate cottage cheese, it's worth a try!

(Oh, and if not regular beans, how about lentils now and again? Lentils, mung beans, and split peas don't need pre-soaking & don't take all that long to cook. Lentils and split peas make great, pretty easy soups, too. Mmmm. )
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:37 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

I like all of the above suggestions but I didn't see whey protein powder to make shakes as an additional protein ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:54 PM   #14  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipafart
I love cottage cheese too, but I eat the fat-free. Since I eat lots of meat (mostly chicken, but some beef) I cut fat everywhere else. I eat fat-free cottage cheese, fat-free milk, no cheese whatsoever (except the "veggie slices" soy cheese) and never any butter or margarine. With eggs, it's the whites only.

I like eating cottage cheese with my scrambled egg whites in the morning
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 02:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I use soy protein powder for extra. I can't get a decent percentage without it. And I'm out right now!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote