Old 10-01-2005, 09:32 AM   #1  

Default I am scared to death!

I joined LA Weight Loss last night with my daughter.

She is 14 and needs to lose 50 pounds. I am 42 and want to lose 45.

Initially, I had planned on just letting her join and me continue with WW because I have had much success with that plan in the past. However, my daughter has not. She hated WW meetings and couldn't stay on the program because she was always hungry. After speaking with the counselor, I could see that the 2 programs are not going to be compatable. WW is a little more liberal and me following it could cause unnecessary temptation/frustration for my daughter.

I know that the program is balanced. The counselor who helped us yesterday was very thorough. We start our LA Express on Sunday and then go in on Monday afternoon for our program explanation.

I guess I am worried about flexibility and livability. Is this doable??

Of course, there is no going back because I have written them a check! They are going to be seeing me for a year! Plus, I am thrilled to do this for my daughter. She is excited and in front of her, I act excited. I am just a little scared!!

Any help??

Andi
wtxchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:13 AM   #2  

Hi Andi!

Glad that you found us.

I can tell you're a good mom - doing this with your daughter!

You asked about flexibility - are you talking about the WW feature about flex points (or what ever they are called now) -- if so, no, LAWL doesn't have anything like that. Basically, it's the same portions every day. There is a lot of variety in what you eat, just not so much in how much. Does that make sense?

The standard diet is a certain number portions of starch, protein, fruit, veg and dairy, with a fat portion added in. The number of portions and the size change depending on how much weight you have to go towards goal. For some of us, the plan will change as we lose weight and get closer to goal.

Most of us find the *hardest* thing the limitation in starches, at least that has been true for me -- but there are options in frozen meals, like lean cuisines/healthy choices frozen dinners that usually solve that problem.

There is also a cookbook which can be helpful.

Also, don't know how much of a sweet eater, or a salty snacker you are, but those are also limited - fat free ice cream is allowed to replace a starch, and that's about it, unless you get creative

The LA lites are yummy, like a candy bar with protein, but they are expensive. The bulk rates are about 20$/box, and a person goes thru a box a week. You don't have to buy the lites; basically, they will move you to a plan that has more real food. But for us sweet eaters, the lites are a true treat.

Hope this helps - did this answer your question?

Julie
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:22 PM   #3  

Mary & Julie,

Thanks so much for the reply.

I have already decided that we will need to do the LA Lites. I am a huge sweet eater and will need the treat. I think the idea of no sugar is what had me so frightened!

As for the FlexPoints, that is a mixed blessing. In 2003, when the FlexPoints were first introduced, I lost 22 pounds in 12 weeks being POP. Then, we moved clear across Texas and with one excuse after another, I regained the lost weight and haven't been able to access that motivation again. I found that I was choosing a lot of treats and staying hungry a lot of the time which led eating off plan.

We went to the grocery store today to get our green salad veggies, lite morton salt & some Mrs Dash, and her extras. She has to add 2 oz. of cheese, 8 oz skim milk & 1 orange to her LA Express each day.

My daughter is a beautiful girl. She is outgoing and has a lot of friends and interests at school & church. This is the one area that she has struggled in since she was a little girl. It is my prayer that this will be the answer for her. Our entire family has joined in. DH asked me to buy him some Take Off Drink so he could do it when he gets back from a business trip. Our other son and daughter have graciously said that they would forego a lot of junk in the house. I believe that we are as prepared for success as we can be.

I am still a little nervous about these 2 days, but I figure I can do anything for 2 days.

Thanks for your help,

Andi
wtxchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:03 AM   #4  

Hi Andi!

I think that what many of us have found is that the diet itself is very healthy - just portion controlled, real foods, and it's been good practice for day to day eating.

Your daughter sounds like a wonderful girl, and you don't sound so bad yourself!

I know what you mean about WW and flex points, I think that parts of the WW plan are really good, but it is really easy to let it get out of control with the flex points.

The two days will be gone before you know it!

Please come and join us on the monthly thread and let us know how you're doing.

Julie
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:28 PM   #5  

Andi, it seems like you have rasied a wonderful group of kids and you have a great spouse too.

Congrats on your first day of TO, and once you get use to planning out your meals and spacing them out, I am sure that you and the whole family will be great.

Come join us on the monthly board and say hello to everyone
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote