Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #1  

Default Herbalife..does it work ?

I was at the hairdressers the other day and oh my gosh..this one hairdresser looked fantastic. I know she has tried tons of stuff with no success and here she was skinny..turns out she was using herballife..
Anyone tried it?
Old 09-28-2005, 02:05 PM   #2  
Collie Mommie

It's a pyramid scheme, aka an MLM. For more info go to the following sites:

http://www.mlmwatch.org/04C/Herbalife/herbalife00.html

http://www.mlm-thetruth.com/Herbalife.htm

As to whether or not it works, I bet anyhting they have a suggested diet and exercise schedule for the user of their products, and if you follow that plan with or without the supplements you'd probably lose weight.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:13 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead
It's a pyramid scheme, aka an MLM. For more info go to the following sites:

http://www.mlmwatch.org/04C/Herbalife/herbalife00.html

http://www.mlm-thetruth.com/Herbalife.htm

As to whether or not it works, I bet anyhting they have a suggested diet and exercise schedule for the user of their products, and if you follow that plan with or without the supplements you'd probably lose weight.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

All one needs to do is search for "Herbalife" on eBay and see how many products are up for bid/sale - I suspect that they are mostly from people who were conned into being 'distributors' (in other words, buying hundreds of dollars of products they never used and now have to get of).

My favorite Herbalife site is this one on Cockeyed.com titled "Work At Home". Interesting reading - not only are they fleecing people daily but the distributors are also responsible for a lot of the littering of America with those stupid WORK FROM HOME and LOSE 30 LB IN 30 DAYS signs you see stapled everywhere. Bleagh on Herbalife!
Old 09-28-2005, 05:01 PM   #4  

Well I know its a pyramid..but if it works..well put me at the bottom rung as I am not about to sell products but will use them if they work.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:03 PM   #5  

Uggg that does sound awful..but I was not interested in selling just wondered if anyone had tried the items and if they worked.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:18 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcharm
Uggg that does sound awful..but I was not interested in selling just wondered if anyone had tried the items and if they worked.
They aren't selling anything that's any different (other than the marketing, labelling and the pricing) than you can get anywhere else. OTC diet products are pretty much cut from the same cloth.

Another thing about Herbalife is that if you buy the products, the person selling them will do their damndest to make you a distributor as well - saying you'll get a discount and yada yada - so you'll be part of their pyramid. Been there done that (although not with Herbalife but another MLM). I was also approached by a rabid Herbalife distributor at my former gym - she was passing out flyers and trying to sign people up (if her car - an old beater apparently held together by the Herbalife "LOSE WEIGHT NOW ASK ME HOW" bumperstickers plastered liberally on its surface - was any indication, she wasn't exactly one of those raging financial success stories - and judging from her appearance the products weren't working for her either!) outside the gym and also taped up business cards and so forth in the locker room and left them on the machines. This didn't go on for long however since the gym put a stop to it - between the complaints and the fact that she was essentially muscling in on their business as they sell supplements.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:38 PM   #7  

You are right..I dont want to get pressured into selling something ..Ok..next idea! Gee how about a healthy diet and exercise!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:21 PM   #8  

I tried this before Christmas - a girl at work is a distributor but does it just for herself, hubby, and family and friends - she doesn't push it on anyone but a couple of other gals were doing it at my workplace and were losing alot of weight. The one girl lost over 20 pounds. Now my bosses' friend did it and lost 20 pounds in one month. I lost six pounds but gained the six pounds back doing nothing different - but that is the story of my life. I haven't lost a pound doing slimfast for 6 months when 11 years ago, I lost 20 in 3 months on it. I loved the shakes - much better then slimfast or my protein shakes. I also liked the tea and have some left - I mix it with Crystal Light - I used it once last week but need to get back into it. There are a lot of pills - that is the only part I didn't like. I added protein powder to my shakes after I wasn't losing anything at first - the gal I bought from compared it to Herbalife's protein and she said it was cheaper and the same to use the protein powder brand I buy.

I think if you are upfront with the person you buy from right away, you won't have any problems. And hopefully you'll get a great one like I did that doesn't even say a word to you about it.

Rachelle
Old 09-29-2005, 07:13 AM   #9  
The Weight's Coming Off!

S/C/G: 245/245/155?

Height: 5' 6"

They had a supplement called N-R-G I used several years ago. I cut my appetite alright, but made my heart race. I was young and didn't care, but eventually I researched what was in it and it was all stimulants - guarana, caffiene, ephedra. No wonder it gave me energy! Not much luck losing on it though.
You said it in your last post - "how about a healthy diet and exercise" and I'll add - time.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:01 PM   #10  

What was the plan like Rachelle? Also am curious what did the pills do..were they supposed to speed you up?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:15 PM   #11  
Empress/Queen

If you just casually are chatting about anything at all with a Herbalife distributor at, say the gym, and don't know it, you'll sooner or later mention exercise, supplements, weight loss, food, protein powder, energy level, vitamin B12 or ... the list goes on ... and they'll just casually say, "Oh!" ... and before ya know it, they'll be trying to sell this stuff to you.

Believe me, I've heard all versions of the sales pitch.

And if ya buy some, they'll pretty soon want you to sell it.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:25 AM   #12  

I find that I do much better when I use protein. I would like to figure out the plan (calories in it, how its structured etc) and maybe I could do it on my own..Then again I could buy it cheap from ebay and try it.
I sure dont want to get the high pressure tactic.
BUT I was amazed by the gals weight loss who I know has tried everything.

If anyone knows which pills you are supposed to take and what they do that would be interesting or how the plan works?
Old 09-30-2005, 10:42 AM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcharm
I find that I do much better when I use protein. I would like to figure out the plan (calories in it, how its structured etc) and maybe I could do it on my own..Then again I could buy it cheap from ebay and try it.
I sure dont want to get the high pressure tactic.
BUT I was amazed by the gals weight loss who I know has tried everything.

If anyone knows which pills you are supposed to take and what they do that would be interesting or how the plan works?
I'm wondering why she won't tell you the nitty gritty herself...

So...just how long has she had the weight off? I know you've been here long enough to have read that what's important is making lifestyle changes - not taking some scammy pills and overpriced, overhyped unregulated supplements. I doubt if they have any special diet - like I (and others) have said...there are NO secrets as far as losing weight - it all comes down to calories in/calories out and making lifestyle changes.

Herbalife is one of the biggest scams out there.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:48 AM   #14  
Empress/Queen

Hi, Slimcharm!!! I don't know about the formula of the Herbalife protein supplement but a canister of an all-purpose generic plain powdered protein powder (with no sugar) could be a good adjunct to your food supplies. It's not too expensive in health food stores or grocery stores' health food sections and buying it that way could save shipping. When you have the plain stuff on hand, you could jazz it up with all sorts of things for smoothies and use in recipes to add more protein to your life.

Something old-time bodybuilders used to use is plain ol' powdered milk ... can add to regular milk for more protein or use just as you would a protein powder.

As far as pills go, not sure if you mean for protein or for "fat burning" ... there are pills that can boost your amino acids and I do think Herbalife sells these, as well as drugstores, health food stores, etc. Doesn't seem like they'd be necessary to me. As for the "fat burners" ... I'd doubt if they work and they can be dangerous for some people. Herbalife also sells vitamin pills, but you can get the same thing in the grocery store.

I agree with ya about protein, though. I do a lot better when I have a little more than all those nutritionists say I should have.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:11 AM   #15  

I have protein powder..I guess I like the idea of having some good ideas of how to integrate it throughout the day and herbalife seems to have that set up..HOWEVER I am not about to take pills..been there done that ( phen/fen - we all know about that one) (ma huang - gave me panic problems...green tea ( I know it shouldnt but for some reason it makes me edgy and nasty)...and assorted other sh*** which plain didnt work!

BTW CONGRATS on your phenomenal weight loss success..I just saw that..what are you doing?
Closed Thread