South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 07:25 PM   #1  

Default Whole Wheat Tortillas

Can anyone give me some brands of whole wheat tortillas that they are buying. Some brands I've looked at have 100% whole wheat listed as the first ingredient, which is great but then I look at the fourth and fifth ingredients and it's usually high fructose corn syrup or something else. I usually by the LaTortilla whole wheat ones but I can't always get those at my Kroger. I've got Kroger, Tom Thumb, SuperTarget, Wal-Mart and Albertson's close by. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:45 PM   #2  
Who needs sleep?

I buy Mission brand low-carb ww flour tortillas. According to the website, 1 large (10") tortilla (which is what DH likes - he hates little tortillas) has 200 cal, 4.5 g fat (1 g saturated), 0 mg chol, 560 mg sodium, 31 g carb, 21 g fiber, 0 g sugar, and 8 g protein. The same tortillas in the 6" size have (per tortilla): 80 cal, 2 g fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg chol, 240 mg sodium, 12 g carb, 8 g fiber, 0 g sugar, and 3 g protein.

Ingredients for both: Water, Modified Food Starch, Whole Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Powder Cellulose, Vegetable Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and/or Cottonseed Oil), Wheat Protein Isolate (Wheat Gluten, Lactic Acid, Sulfite), and contains 2% or less of: Salt, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate and/or Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Calcium Sulfate), Cellulose Gum, Calcium Propionate and Sorbic Acid (to preserve freshness), Distilled Monoglycerides, Wheat starch, Amylase, Tricalcium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Sucralose, Caramel Color, Canola Oil, Triglycerides, Dough Conditioners (Fumaric Acid and Sodium Metabisulfite).

Here's the website: http://www.missionfoods.com/ - if you click on FAQs, there should be a button near the top of the page for nutritional information. Click that and follow the steps to get the nutritional info on the product you want.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #3  
Med Student

But don't the mission ones have trans fat in them though? I really like the La Tortilla Factory ones but they are sure hard to find! Honestly, I avoid tortillas because I eat too many of them--I eat them like chips! But, oh they are good!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:28 PM   #4  

I buy the Buena Vida whole wheat tortillas (it says for low carb diets) from Wal-mart. I just looked at the package, and there isn't any corn syrup listed, or other things that would raise a red flag in my head. I think they are great, just can't eat them right now (back at phase 1). I find them in the refrigerated section. It is a red package.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:35 PM   #5  

Thanks for your help guys. I am a little leary about the Mission ones since the second ingredient is modified food starch and they have partially hydrogenated soybean oil and/or cottonseed oil. I will have to check out their website further.

I have seen the Buena Vida ones. I'll have to pick those up when I'm at Wal-Mart.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:15 AM   #6  

I buy the LaTortilla ones for myself (I usually buy them at Tom Thumb but my Kroger has them too) and I buy the Mission ww ones for my husband. He doesn't care for the taste of the LaTortilla ones and I know the Mission ones are healthier than others even if they are not as healthy as the LaTortilla ones.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:03 AM   #7  
Who needs sleep?

Mission has ff tortillas, as well. I don't know about trans fat, as they aren't required to list that til January. I picked them as they are very high fiber, low fat, and no sugars.
Closed Thread