South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #1  

Default I want help learning how to dress!

Random thoughts ahead:

I love that show What not to wear. I always feel like I need their help. I dress poorly. I would say that MOST of my clothes don't flatter me. I wear the same things day in and day out. All of my clothes are baggy and don't make the most of my curves.

I see so many women that are larger than me, but know how to carry it. They look so put together and confident. I am impressed by how they present themselves.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:22 PM   #2  

Dana, I don't know how tall you are or what shape you are. But maybe this trick will work for you too.
Oh, I should have said first that I love What Not To Wear and don't ever miss it. I soak up eveything they suggest on threre - that has helped alot.
I buy fashion magizines and study them, look at what the models are wearing and then try to come up with outfits using some lose guidelines.
I got rid of most of my bigger clothes, so the new stuff I buy are good cuts, basics that aren't faddish. I add the 'now' touches with accessories.
I hope this gives you some ideas.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh I think this is a wonderful thread. I think we'll find that some gals actually put off getting a whole lot slimmer because of this very thing.
Firstly, I'd suggest asking people. "You look great would you mind telling where you shop?" Most people will tell you.
Secondly, get good under garments. If your bra doesn't fit, no tops will look good, let alone show off your weight loss.
I went to malls so I'd have lots of selection. I went when it wasn't busy so that if I found a gal who wanted to help, was good to me and I liked ... she wouldn't be too busy. I told them I'd lost weight and had no idea what size I wore or what to buy. Some were not good, nor interested. Some were wonderful. Try on lots of stuff! You don't need to buy anything the first time.
Another trick is second hand stores. Loads of selection! And if you get it home and don't think it's right or it gets too big ... not much lost. And they usually don't care how long you hang around either.

A lot depends on what you do all day. Do you need to dress for work?, church?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #4  

Those are some ideas to consider. I think a large part of my problem is that I just avoid the mirror. If it's comfortable, I throw it on. I wear casual clothes to work, but feel that even then I could make myself more presentable!

Also, I am on the hunt for bras this weekend. I have lost 2 inches in that area and my bras are riding up driving me nuts!

I also need to take a lesson from the show. They make people try things on that the person won't even consider. Over the years, my MIL has gotten me clothes for Christmas that I NEVER would have picked out and they have turned out to be my favorites!

I think that I will get a babysitter one day and just go play. I can try lots of things on and see what works! I never thought of just trying things on just to see how it looks. I usually go out to shop on a mission!

Thanks, I am interested to see how everyone else feels about their clothes!
Old 09-23-2005, 04:24 PM   #5  

Dana - If you go to a store like Victoria Secret they will measure you for a bra and you'll get the right fit. Some department stores will also do it for you.

Have fun on your 'play' shopping spree.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:47 PM   #6  

Ah yes! Victoria's Secret will be my first stop! I used to work in the lingerie dept at Dillard's. They had women there they trained to do fittings. But, I have forgotten everything that I knew about fitting! Besides, it is best for someone else to fit you!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:26 PM   #7  
Who needs sleep?

In my case, I am just fashion-clueless. I just don't care much for clothes. I go for comfort. That doesn't mean I never want to make an effort to look nice, but honestly - as a SAHM and full-time college student, I just have more to worry about than whether my tees and jeans are flattering, and having clothes which are comfortable to move around in is a real boon in chasing a toddler around all day. After all, you see a ton of skinny chicks wearing jeans and sweats and worse (what was the thing with girls wearing their pj's in public?? Do they still do that, or did their moms put a stop to it?)! Maybe that makes me more fashion-practical?

On the few occasions when I'm really feeling totally clueless about what I want - I only know I want something nice for a change - I usually do the same thing as Susan. I hate crowds, so I prefer to shop in "off" hours anyway. I know which stores are more likely to have stuff that I like, stuff I can afford, and sales staff that are really helpful - and I go to those stores. And the tip about undergarments is excellent advice! I have a lot of difficulty in finding bras that actually fit, flatter, and are comfortable, but it's well worth the time (I've had good luck with the Just My Size label, if it's available where you are).
Old 09-23-2005, 08:00 PM   #8  
gotta lose it!

OMG...love this thread...I work retail - so I love clothes!! Get basics....1 great top in black & white is a must! A pair of jeans.....this could take some time to find.....I'm serious!! Try on many many pairs!!! Old Navy has stretch denim & I love it.....not the 1990's stretch denim...this is good & a decent price!
Wear pants with pockets on the behind!!
NO front pleats.....creates more material & bump in your tummy area!
Don't carry a tiny purse if you're a larger gal...you'll look silly!
GREAT under garments are a must!!
Know what colors work for you & what will wash you out!
Pastels are usually safe on everyone, as well as black!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:22 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Great thread....

Since I've lost weight I love going into Winners especially, because of the deals, and I just try and try clothes. I often don't buy but if I try something on that I keep thinking about for an hour or two, when I leave the store, I'll go back and get it.

Get rid of the fat clothes!! You don't want to wear them again anyways, so bring them to the thrift shop or give them to a friend...
Old 09-23-2005, 11:57 PM   #10  

Thumbs up Become a fashion Diva

start looking in catalogs for things that look good to you. Look at someone you admire
and modify it to fit your style. Don't know your style think about what your inner self if
for example on somedays I am wild and sexy. thats when the leather pants or tight designer jeans go on. When I want to be sassy and carefree I grab
skirt with an attitude and a form fitting top. When I am all business I wear
a suit complete with tie. I think you have to know your image and then you
wear the clothing to advertise what you are. I have a friend for example she is ms frumpy. she likes to wear oversized mismatched jogging clothes, usually with a few stains but it is her style. So know who you want to be and the go for it become a clothing rebel its fun and you will soon learn what is comfortable for you. go for it have fun. become the princess you really love
Old 09-24-2005, 12:05 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/195/135

Height: 5' 5"

You can also buy the book from the show "What Not to Wear" that gives great advice on finding flattering clothes. Pair it with The Lucky Shopping Manual: How to Build a Wardrobe, and you'll have some idea of what you need before you even walk into the stores! Good Luck!
Old 09-24-2005, 07:02 AM   #12  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

For me, shopping is a nice relaxing thing that I mostly like to do alone. I can veg out on the clothes, go where I want, try on what I want, and take as much or as little time as I want. It's weired, but it's sort of like my "alone time". I do shop with girlfriends but not often. If I'm shopping with my bf it's never for my clothes. Maybe cause my jeans have to be the size of Alaska and I wouldn't want him to see which size I take, but either way, bf is off limits when I'm shopping for my clothes.

Since my lower half is gigantic compared to my top, I try to go for fitted tops and looser bottoms. This summer I was all into skirts but on most days I walk to school and skirts are just not practical so it's jeans and a fitted tee. I try for a bootcut jean that's not too tight, esp. at the knees so it doesn't make my butt look bigger. I'd be interested to know what any other pearshapes like. What types of pants and tops do you feel are flattering?

Lately I've been into the BOHO style. I found this awsome paisely corduroy floppy type of purse at Old Navy on sale for $15! It's in these beautiful burgundy tones. I love it! It's big and you can dress simple because it's a fabulous accesorie. And last month I bought a pair of moccasins that I can't wait to wear once it starts cooling off. I just usually wear one or two BOHO pieces at a time so that I don't look like I'm dressing for a part in "Hair". :P

Great...now I want to go shopping!!
Old 09-24-2005, 07:58 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, I was going to ask about BOHO but I Googled it. Nice stuff! Is this what you mean?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:32 AM   #14  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

I guess I should've specified that BOHO is the hip way to say bohemian. I think it's just a fun casual way to dress sometimes and it seems to flatter me. I'm embrassing my inner hippie .
Old 09-24-2005, 10:57 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Oh my! I am so unhip! I get it now. Bohemian Ho - what a concept. Hey, I danced onstage when Hair came to Toronto. I should have paid more attention to the clothes - when they were wearing them!
Closed Thread