Old 09-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #1  

Default New to LAWL and not too sure.......

Hi all,

I have been reading the posts here, and trying to glean as much info as possible, but I am not really sure that this plan is working for me. I realize
that those with more to lose will drop the weight faster, and I have issues
that may be slowing me down, but here's my question.

What is a reasonable amount of time to be on the plan before you decide if
you should continue or not?

What appealed to me in the first place was that the plan is based on real eating, and not all plan foods. Having been on Atkins, that was real plus,
but I lost weight faster on Atkins. I have only been on the plan for 2 full
weeks, but my weight loss has been sloooow. Right after cleansing, I was
down 2.4 pounds, but into the second week, I started TOM. After that,
and getting rid of that extra water weight, I am finally back down to the
2.4 I was before.

To my mind, I will give the plan another 2 weeks (1 full month), and then
evaluate from there. I weighed 163.6 when I went in, and said I wanted
to lose 30 lbs., and they put me on gold. I already told them I wasn't going
to take Excel or carb blockers......I figure if those things really worked, no
one would be fat anymore. My goal is to learn healthier habits when it comes
to food, and maybe this is part of my learning curve. I already have cut out
all diet sodas (avg was 2 or 3 a day) because I am busy drinking water, and
I manage to exceed 64oz almost every day. Yet, I seem to be retaining water, and that could be because I was dehydrated for so many years.

No one says anything about exercising, and I am wondering if maybe I should
get something going with that. Seems to me that I am already stalling on the
plan, and need a kick-start.

Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks!

katmac
katmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:14 PM   #2  

Hi Katmac!

I had a similar problem when I started - I lost about 4 pounds with the first protein/juice 2 day plan, and then NOTHING for about 10 days after that -- up and down .2 each time -- then TOM rolled around, and once that finished, things started to drop. (I started at 228.8, so I lost more than you at the beginning)

Did you jump right into LAWL from Atkins? If so, you may be dealing with a bit of water gain now that you've introduced carbs back into your diet.

About exercise - it's certainly NOT something LAWL pushes, but it can only help.

I totally agree with you about the supplements -- if they really worked, doctors would be pushing them.

What do your counselors say about your stall? You paid a lot of $$$ for this plan -- it will work - it's just a basic low calorie diet - nothing magic! So if you continue to stall, then have them send your diary to the nutrionist.

BTW, I also had a problem that I wasn't really measuring my proteins when I first started, and I was taking in too much chicken (if such a thing is possible). Are you weighing and measuring?

Glad that you found us, come and hang out on the monthly thread.

Julei
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:35 PM   #3  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Hey Katmac,
I have been on LAWL for 5 weeks, and so has my mom. She has had a similar problem, with not really losing anything. She, however, had a gastric bypass 2 years ago, and is not able to eat as much food as her plan called for. After struggling for almost 4 weeks, she insisted that they do something different for her at our center. The manager called the dietician, who advised her to try a different plan. Since then, she has dropped 4 lbs. Sometimes I think that the counselors forget that we do not all have "cookie cutter" weight loss issues, however, they should help you find the plan or combination that works for you. Good luck! Katie
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:16 PM   #4  

Julie,

No, I didn't jump straight from Atkins to this plan, BUT I did always try to keep away from the carbs. I was successful most of the time, but when I did eat carbs, I BINGED! I am
almost positive that has something to do with it.....that, and the fact that the only liquids I took in were coffee and diet sodas.

My counselor wants me to wait and see what happens in the next week or so. She went over my diary, and I have been POP, so she thinks my body might just need some time to adjust. There have been whole food groups missing for a long time (I just have
a real hard time liking the low-carb veggies!), and she thinks that a little more time might be what I need. She also hinted at doing the Take Off thing again. No kidding about the $$$$$$. That's why I have decided I will give it until of 4 weeks, and then I am going to get pushy with them if things don't start moving in the right direction.

I guess I am being a little impatient. And, yes, I have been measuring all my foods.

Thanks for the response,
katmac
Old 09-22-2005, 06:18 PM   #5  

Katie,
Thanks for sharing. I think I might be impatient, so I am going to give them a month before I start rattling cages. For all I know, my body could be in shock because I am actually eating a variety of nutritious foods!!!!

katmac
Old 09-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #6  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Katmac-

You can buy Knudsen's Morning Blend juice (under $3/bottle) and use that instead of Take Off or substitute cantaloupe for the juice. Scout around the board a bit-there are all sorts of cheaper products you can use that are essentially the same thing.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:09 PM   #7  

AWESOME. Thanks for the tip. I was dreading having to shell out more big bucks to do that again. Thing is, I really liked the Take Off, but not the price!

katmac
Old 09-23-2005, 09:39 PM   #8  

I started at 165.8 and wanted to lose 30 lbs too - I had a SLOW start but then it started to pick up. I have now lost 28 lbs (since June 8th) and am going for another 12 to get down to 125.
slimmerKim is offline   Reply With Quote