South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 08:23 AM   #1  

Default Wednesday Chat

Alright! Where is every one? It is 8:20 where I am at and there is usually 2 or 3 posts by this time!

I just know someone is starting another thread as I type!

I am feeling good this morning. I got up a little bit earlier this morning. I have got to get a handle on getting up in the mornings!

Last night, I took a Yoga class. I love going, but the only time that they have the beginner class usually conflicts with other stuff. But, at least I got to go last night. It was great. I always feel like I just had a massage after that class. Plus, I work muscles I never work. I was really rusty and really tight, but that is why it is a beginner class!
Old 09-21-2005, 08:47 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Hump Day Chat - September 21

Hey! It's officially fall today! There will now be a chorus of "Autumn Leaves"!

For the first time in years, I've started setting my alarm for six which seems a reasonable hour since the Girls and I retire around ten. There were no "celebrations" to greet me this morning! We may eventually get to sleep in until 7.

Djett, Thanks for starting us up. I'm going to be later getting in here with my new morning routine. I hope you did get to the gym last night. Thanks for the reminder about the meatlaof casserole. The local market has extra lean beef on sale today and I may just get some and cook a batch. Yoga? My DH used to do it and I am considering it. My meditation class has some yoga components.

Pearshape, I hope the bloat has disappeared overnight. I frequently take a diuretic for football feet and sausage fingers. What a pain! I took off my rings in the spring because of it and hope to get re-blinged soon with the cooler weather. Do you have cooler weather in KY or can you "fungus" all year?

Livvy, I was going to ask what course you were taking but I gather is sociology! Just a lucky guess. Nice that you and the BF can quiz each other.

Anchor, I'm with you on the creeping portion control thing. I've dug out my old WW scale and am amazed! It sounds like you are cooking up a storm. It's great that you have a plan for the wine tasting event this weekend. I'd find that difficult - not the food, but the wine!

Kathy, at least you didn't completely lose your job. Even a position at a lower salary would be better than that! In time they'll realize you are a gem and give you a promotion, I'm sure.

Barb, thanks for pointing out to me that the taco bake freezes. I certainly need to change my mindset about cooking for one! I may do it at the same time as I do the meatballs. Are you enjoying WFH? I sure did!

Want, Wow! The jeans must have made you feel just wonderful! Go, Girl!

Schatzi, your meadow muffins comment gave me a giggle. It was more like meadow pudding if you get my drift. You WAX your car? Mine is lucky to go throught the el cheapo car wash once a year! Most of the time Mother Nature does it.

RNMOM, I hope you got a good and solid sleep last night. Do you have your psychobabble results yet? Wanna "share your concerns"?

KO, "graze free" and two NSVs! Welcome back to The Beach.

Sweet Tea, yes, it's possible to be on the low side but not be classified as hypothyroid? Exercise will certainly help. Hey, where are your buddies? Did they wander off The Beach with a cabana boy or two?

Beach Bum, sorry about "Arthur" coming to visit. Glucosomine sometimes helps. Great idea for the tomato cocktail - that's three veggies!

H-Ko, I'm glad the sickies have left. Yup, salt sure does it if we are looking for water retention. I have the same problem with my meat rubs. I should make them without salt.

Sheba's Mom, you have sure been busy and that most certainly counts as exercise. Your aunt moved FROM a nursing home TO an apartment! That's great as it's usually the other way around. I'm glad to hear the job situation has firmed up.

Weezle, you worry me! I sure hope the doc can get your health straightened out. Um, what do you mean by "purged myself"? Unintentional, I hope. Why on earth would you play volleyball when you feel as sick as you are? Take care of YOU!

Me, this morning I will mix a double batch of dog food and do some cooking for me too! I have cleared some space in my basement freezer by throwing out some very old food. I wish freezers came with a FIFO system - "first in, first out" for non-accounting types. I had stuff in there that was three years old. I've decided the downstairs freezer will be used only for dog food which will give me more room in the upstairs one for single portions of people food. Yes, I have two freezers plus the one on my fridge. Dumb, isn't it! Nice to have lots of food on hand in case there's a famine!

It's a gorgeous day here. I hope to get out to pick raspberries and enjoy it later. I hope you can join me - a day like this is a gift.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:04 AM   #3  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

Hi ladies. It's been quiet around here in the mornings lately. I was bad yesterday and had some caramel corn in place of a real lunch. I'm sure that didn't help my bloating. Plus I forgot to take a diuretic last night. My fingers are freakin' italian sausages. Not sure what's up with my body right now. This is the time of my cycle when I'm supposed to be nice and bloat free and losing weight easily. Grrr!!

Djett: I'm going to make the meatball casserole tonight. I have some 4% ground beef that I'm going to mix with some morningstar meat substitute crumbles. I think I'll make some mashed white beans with parmesan and basil to go with it. I love that bean recipe. It got me over me hatred of beans a few years ago. It's a SBD stand in for potatoes .

Ruth: Boy, we sure do have cold weather here. Freezing!!! But growing up in HI then living in The Phillipines as a child makes me love snow. On the first day of snow I'm like a kid at c'mas. My dog and I run out to play in all the fluffy stuff. I can't wait to be out in the woods when its 0 degrees out. That should be interesting. There hasn't been any good fungus to speak of lately. It's been so dry and now it's going to start getting cold. Maybe we'll get some before the real cold weather pops up.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:06 AM   #4  
Kyemom

Morning girls.....last night was crazy busy...DH is taking me out for dinner tonight..it was to be a surprise, but since I am the one who picks the kids up in the afternoon, he had to tell me that his mother was picking them up (since that never happens) I had to ask what for. Anyway, I have no idea where we are going, and I will try to stay OP...but we will see....I may need to be bad, especially with all of the issues I have had this week.
Thanks for everyone's support...I know everything will work out for me in the job world!!
I think I may be down another pound or 2, I will weigh later in the week. Friday is DS birthday, and he is having 5 friends sleep over....6 boys plus DD....I should have fun!!! Anyway, have a great day, I will check in later!!
Ruth- Glad there were no doggie piles for you today....I think my puppy may finally be indoor pile free!!!! No accidents in 2 weeks!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

Mashed white beans? How the heck did I miss that? What a great way for me to get that extra fiber that I need!
I changed the title to remove the Baked and will figure out the servings (4-6?) and nutrition later today.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:32 AM   #6  
We are all Beautiful!!!

Morning chicks!

I'm still weighing in the same but I'm not going to fret about it. I'm in the middle/end of TOM and it should balance out. I'm just staying extremely OP! Made my dilled shrimp salad last night. I didn't have time to make the asparagus & mushroom omlet this am but I had two mini quice cups and a V8. DS was sniffing around the shrimp this morning commenting that it really didn't look like diet food.

Ruth - The wine shouldn't be too much of a problem. I should ask them to put me at the dessert wine table (cause I don't like dessert wine) but then I would be closer to the desserts! Which I do like a lot. I should be ok. I get kind of creeped out cause people swirl and spit it out into little spit buckets and I find that kind of creepy.

djett - I'm looking forward to taking my first yoga class. It sounds wonderful!

Kye - Keep the job it sounds like that girl could be gone in a month or so. If you are really unhappy look for another one.

Pear - Carmel corn. Sounds yummy but not very OP! I had kettle corn last week from the fair so I know what you mean.

My work is beginning to slow down a little - we are still crazy busy but at least I have time to think.

I offered to help DS's very cute football coach plan a party for the boys after the season is over. He called me to talk about DS and we ended up talking for 20 minutes! He got divorced the same time I did and I think he is raising his kids. He has a boy who is one year younger than my DS and a daughter who is two years older than my DS. I can't pinpoint how old he is. I hope he is my age or somewhere within 5 years + or - my age which is 40. DS has football practice tonight if anyone has any advice for me - my ears are open. I'm really rusty at the dating thing - I was married for almost 17 years and haven't had much luck with the guys since getting divorced. Help!
Old 09-21-2005, 09:42 AM   #7  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

Ruth, I have the nutrition info from my cookbook. I'll post it now so you don't have to look it up, although you may want to confirm it. I have a recipe from a WW cookbook and none of the ingredients have any fat in them but somehow the nutrition info shows 7 g of fat per serving. How the heck did that happen?? I don't think they're always right. Even some of the ones from the SBD books are wrong I think. I use the USDA calorie pdf for all my calorie counts. Can't seem to find a good table for carbs and fat. Maybe I'll have to break down and buy a book.

Oh, and the white bean recipe is baked.....and mashed . I just used the wrong title in my post earlier. I've used both cannellini and great northern and I prefer the great northern. They are softer and creamier than the cannellini...and cheaper. Plus it takes less oil to make the texture right.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:44 AM   #8  

djett - Too bad we can't choose when the exercise classes will be taught. I'd make it to a lot more classes that way.

Ruth - How can it possibly be the first day of Fall? We're expected to set a new record high of 102 today! I am enjoying WFH but our cable modem was out all afternoon so I suffered through dialup. We finally got the cable company out last night to replace the lines so hopefully the problem is permanently resolved. Apparently if the signal is not strong enough, then the heat causes problems with letting the signal through.

pearshape - If the bloating keeps up maybe you should check with your doctor. I had major swelling before I started South Beach. When I saw my doctor she said the cause was Fifth's Disease and she put me on a diuretic because my blood pressure was sky high due to the swelling. At least check your blood pressure, please! Swelling can do serious things to blood pressure.

kyemom - Have fun at dinner!

me - I am all packed for my training (except to toss in my pack of pills after I take one tonight). Terry is going to pick me up at 4:30AM tomorrow morning. I will definitely be off the list Wed - Sat. I'll try to get back on and post on Sunday if I can. Right now rain is predicted from Hurricane Rita on Saturday so we may get soaked while camping. I hope it doesn't move earlier. I really don't like to camp in major storms. And maybe the rain will miss us since we'll be on the Texas/Oklahoma border which a good hour or two north of here.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:13 AM   #9  
RubyJean

Default Ladies, good morning, you sound so upbeat!

Happy Wednesday to you!

I feel like I'm interrupting a group of friends in a private chat!
It was nice to read what you all are doing/coping with/trying out...very inspritional.
My daughter and I have been on Phase I of SDB since Sept. 12th. She's lost almost 10 lbs, me only 5.
I was feeling a bit flat about the diet this morning (tired and unprepared for the day).....but reading your posts has made me feel better about hanging in there.
A good friend of mine teaches a yoga class on Wednesday nights, and I've wanted to go for ages. It's a positive thing to do, isn't it. I think I'll call her right now! (I just called to ask if I could take tonight's class! thanks to you).
I've been browsing all the recipes, and tonight plan to make either President's Chicken or Souffle Stuffed Chicken.
My name is Sandy, I'm from New Jersey, have 3 girls (21,19,18) - and my little girl Shelby (golden retriever 5), DH and mom. I'm the plumpest in the family, DH too skinny! I love to cook (even for Shelby). I belong to one other forum (discusscooking) and one of the members there posted your info.
Bye!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:24 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 223/193/123

Height: 5'0"

Mornin' lovely ladies!!

djett -- the yoga sounds great! A massage sounds even better ! I'd do the yoga to get that feeling of relaxation though. I'm sure it would do my joints good. Is it hard to get started?

Ruth-- In my next life can I be one of your dogs? Pretty Please??!! You are just the most awesome mommy to them . Just how big are those freezers? I would love to get one and put it in our garage. I hate passing up really good deals on meat and frozen veggies but my freezer is tiny. Where are No, I'm Sweet Tea and Ftchck (i forget how she was spelling that)?? Well, they are doing well and continuing to do SB with me. Leanne (the other sweet tea) works full time as a graphic designer and is also pretty busy in the evenings so she finds it hard to find time to post. She does check in though. Her sister, Christa, checks in but is unsure what to write when she is here. She says she is so used to chatting in chat rooms that she finds forums intimidating... *shrug*

pearshape-- I am so sorry about your swelling. I agree with the others -- you should maybe check your blood pressure just to be on the safe side. I hope that the diruetic helps some. I have a diruetic in my blood pressure med and it helps a lot. Hugs!

kyemom -- I am so sorry about your job situation. Do you think you will look for another position elsewhere or wait and see if the lady really is going to stay? Maybe it will be a blessing in disguise and something brilliant is right around the corner for you.

anchor weight -- LOL, you have me day dreaming about football coaches this morning! We had one at our high school that was an absolute dreamboat and I had not thought about him in over 10 years thank you for freeing my mind up!!!

Barb0522 -- have a great time!!

sandyyj -- Welcome Sandy!!! Pull up your beach towel and enjoy the sand and the sun . You and your dd have made wonderful progress so far. Hang in there -- I know every day is not always easy but in the end the payoff is huge. Big hugs coming your way today! I had a rough start this morning too but with the help of everyone here and the morning chat I fee so much better. Welcome

Me-- I am getting so lucky in the mornings this week. Logan is taking a nap and Beren is watching Blues Clues and playing with his trucks. A few minutes of peace and quiet to myself before I have to start working on my candle business stuff. I have been procrastinating on getting my stuff made and shipped out lately. After over 10 years of carving I am kinda burned out but I still need the extra $ and the orders keep coming in. I should be thankful and just get my work done. My goal is to get everything shipped out by monday and take a breather from orders for a few more weeks.

I exercised yesterday with a walking dvd and today my knee feesl funny . I think I will just do the stretches and upperbody stuff today. I am just so glad that I did exercise though.

Hugs-n-love to ya'll!!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:27 AM   #11  

Sandy,

Hi and welcome! This place is great to keep you motivated. The people here are knowledgeable and supportive. I am hooked! The recipes here are great and it keeps you from staying in a rut!

My name is Dana. I'm from Knoxville, TN. I have one son (Brennan, 3) and 5 furry babies (1 cat, 4 german shepherds). Oh, yeah, and a husband of 14 years.

I started this diet from a recommendation of a friend doing Atkins. She thought this would work better for me and she was right. I was/am a serious sugar addict. I loved cokes, junk food and candy! I am also hypothyroid and suffer from PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and have high triglycerides. I have lost 10 pounds so far and am very excited to be doing this diet.

I hope you enjoy your yoga class. It will be neat for you since your friend teaches it. I am sure that she will encourage you!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:28 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

Welcome to The Beach, Sandy! Come right on in - the water's fine!

Not to worry about your DD losing faster than you - it's metabolism, of course. At 66, I am really struggling so it's wise to get in control of this as soon as we can!

Looking forward to hearing more from your cooking forum. It sounds interesting. Would you PM me the site or is it closed like my garden one? (My main interests in Life are food, dogs and gadening - the order changes depending on time of day!)
Old 09-21-2005, 10:57 AM   #13  
Kyemom

Welcome to the beach!!! You will love it here!!!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #14  
RubyJean

Thanks for the welcome ladies!
Ruth - I'm not sure how to pm here. Click on your yahoo icon? or is there one for the board? Can I type the url in a posting? That cooking site is not private and the people are so nice - I've learned so much!
I'm sure I'm going to like this board, too. I find that just looking at the posts keeps me focused.
I like gardening too, and love my dog (and all dogs), and my cat (forgot to mention him! poor guy). I'm thrilled for my daugher's weight loss and don't mind a bit that she's going faster than me. She's going on a big trip from Nov30-Jan19 and wants to look nice (she's already beautiful).
Thanks for the encouragement about the yoga, too!

Sandy
Old 09-21-2005, 11:16 AM   #15  
Come on Spring!

Sandi, just click on the user name and then on send private message. Posting an URL is OK sometimes but not other times. Competing or pay websites should not be posted, nor should any advertising.
Closed Thread