Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-19-2005, 09:27 AM   #1  
back on the wagon

S/C/G: 196.2/187.8/115

Height: 5'1.5''

Question How can I get my cardio in?

Okay I went on a walk yesterday with my dad (who had a heart attack one month ago) and I could not keep up with him. I was terribly out of breath the whole time and I felt like crap.

I need some more cardio in my workout, Curves just isn't gonna cut it when it comes to cardio!

When winter hits, how can I get my cardio in? I don't have a treadmill or any exercise equipment....how can I get the workout in?

Thank you so much everyone!
lateralus98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #2  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

If you have stairs in your home, use them! Walk up and then walk, a little faster, down. Do that for as long as you can and try to improve by 30 seconds, 1 minute, or more every day. You can put on a CD and dance Britney Spears style, you can jog in place, jump rope, or go to the library and get a workout tape every few weeks. Good luck!
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:04 AM   #3  

-Walk around the block, maybe borrow a dog to give you an excuse
- or continue to walk with your father ???
- some ladies on the forum go to the mall to walk there
-get running shoes and work yourself up to running around the block
-get some exercise stuff like a stationary bike (there is a lot of 2nd hand stuff usually going quite cheaply)
-put in an exercise DVD
-there are also "games" you can do in a PS2 like dance dance dance revolution
-bike to work
-on the way to work,if you use public transportation, get of a stop early
-walk in your lunch hour ?
-jog in place while you watch TV

there are lots of possibilities. And you don't have to do it all in one go. You can also get your cardio in 15 mins chunks.

Good luck !!

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:11 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I agree with all the examples stated above. Winter is NOT an EXCUSE to put exercise on the side burner! I run now but I used to walk in the snow all the time. Walking on snowy sidewalks is like walking in the sand. The only time it's a bit dangerous is when the sidewalk is icy, but when that happens I walk in the street.

Start slow and work yourself up...There are a millions EXCUSES not to exercise, so JUST DO IT!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 10:02 AM   #5  
Determined

This is my second time to lose this weight, and the first time around what made it go so fast was exercise. It's the one part of weight loss that I actually love! So, things I would recomend is trying videos at home. Check out gyms in your area for deals, and if you live in a larger area check out your rec center. Many larger cities have rec centers that have a low flat yearly fee and offer treadmills and other standard workout equipment, as well as some classes. Walk in the mall. Check out collagevideo.com for tons of great exercise videos that are usually reviewed. I have never been disappointed with any of the videos I've gotten from them. The local library almost always has lot of exercise videos for free rental. They are not usually the most up to date ones, but they're there. Self.com also has a bunch of free workout slideshows. There are a few websites (or used to be anyway) that allow you to join and exchange videos with other members. I got a few really crappy videos that way so I quit doing it, but if you have a specific you are looking for that or ebay could be a good option. If all else fails walk in place, grab some free weights and do crunches. I also have a giant stability ball that I got for I think 12 dollars at WalMart that I do Gunnar Peterson's Core secrets with. For me, that is a workout! Sorry for my novel on the subject! You can do it, like Ilene says, don't let winter become a crutch and stall your weight loss. Good luck!
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:29 PM   #6  

I hadnt done any kind of cardio moving when I first joined the gym january of this year. I starte with 20 minutes on the arc trainer (similiar to the elliptical) at the gym...I finally feel good enough to go 35 minutes....It took me a long time to get my cardio up. I just picked up a spinning class at the gym. I go to shapes in florida, so I dont know if curves has them, but if they do, try it out...it's a great cardio workout and you really can go at your own pace and work your way up. good luck.
tampagirlcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:52 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Also wanted to add another possibility - JAZZERCISE -

Check the Jazzercise.com site for classes in your area - they have a coupon that you can print out and bring with you.

I was a Jazzercise nut myself for like five years - there are gals (some guys too, but mostly gals) of all sizes and fitness abilities there. I was still over 200 lbs when I started Jazzercising and never felt alienated or isolated. You'll have so much fun, you won't even notice you're chewing up calories!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:19 PM   #8  

you want cardio kick butt cardio try anything tae-bo
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:55 AM   #9  
Rose1040

Hi Rachel
I use my Walk away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone when it gets bad out ,and I walk outdoors when it is nice. If you don't have them check out your library so you can see if you like them or not.She incorporates weights into her walking excercise. Try it you and your Dad may like them.
Rose
Rose1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #10  
Rabid Claymate

I dance to get my heartrate up. Just lock myself in my room, blare my Clay Aiken concert songs, and dance like the backup singers do. It's so much fun, and it really gets you going. And it's GREAT when you are listening to something you love, because it inspires you.
OperationSWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #11  
Rose1040

Hi Operation SWC
My daughter dances in her room too to keep her trim figure she loves it. I may try it myself since it sounds like fun and anything that helps me lose some weight I will try at least for awhile
Thanks and keep it up you are doing great
Rose
Rose1040 is offline   Reply With Quote