Old 09-19-2005, 05:37 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Hi Guys!

i AM BACK!!!

i AM BBACK TO THE WEIGHT LOSS GRIND. GOOD THING I DON'T HAVE TO CHANGE MY TICKER!!

I FELL OFF THE WAGON, BUT AM BACK IN FULL FORCE. MY GOAL THIS TIME IS TO TRY AND INCORPORATE EXERCISE............I HAVE HAD A TERRIBLE TIME FINDING TIME TO DO IT. I HAVE 4 CHILDREN AND WORK 48+ HOURS A WEEK, Soooooooooo, IF ANYBODY HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS I WOULD APPRECIATE IT!!

JENNIFER
Chamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:37 AM   #2  
Downsizing Dee!

Hey Jennifer, glad to see you're back at it. I don't have kids so I don't know if I can offer any useful advice but... can you exercise on your lunch breaks?

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:29 AM   #3  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I have a similar problem with the exercise. So I've been stopping one stop early on the Metro and walking the extra three blocks to work, then walking to that stop at the end of the day, rather than using the stop right under my building. I'm on the third floor, so I use the stairs instead of the elevator (I keep mentally telling myself the elevator is broken when thefatgirlinside tries to weedle a ride on lazy days). And during the day when I'm running to meetings, if it's one or two floors from mine, I try to take the stairs. If it's more than that, I take the elevator. I also try to walk more quickly in my daily tasks. That's how I got started with exercise.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:40 AM   #4  

Those are great ideas Synger.

I have 3 kids Jennifer, one a baby who nurses all night long. I wake up at 5:30 to get in my exercise. It is not easy, but I do find I enjoy my day and the kdis more after a good kick butt workout. I wonder if you could alternate between Synger's ideas and a few earlier mornins? You could also start really small, like taking the staris, walking part way to work, etc. and then add more gradually. Could you also exercise with your kids? I began by putting my 2 youngest in the bike cart and riding along with my oldest, who is amazingly fit and, at 5, can ride 6-8 miles with me, albeit slowly (but with the cart, it provided good exercise in the early days). Another great way to exercise with the kids is to put on some great music and dance around for a while with them, working up to longer periods (or more frequent) of time. With all the picking up of them and dancing around, it is a great workout. I also find that chasing them around the house is a good workout.

Welcome back and good luck!
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:53 AM   #5  

I get to the gym by 5:00 am so that my workout is done and I'm home before the kids ever open their eyes. I am NOT a morning person so this was a difficult transition for me. Now that I am used to it I really, really miss it if for some reason I don't make it.

Sometimes I choose to go to a night class or take an outdoor walk instead. I used to feel guilty asking DH to watch the kids while I took the time for myself. He didn't mind but I felt like it was my job. I realize now that I am a much better wife and mother if I take that time. Funny thing too, nobody missed me being gone for an hour or so anyway!

I don't work anymore but when I did I kept a couple of dumbells in my office. Sometimes I would close the door and jog/march in place and do a couple of arm exercises while I was catching up on email. I took the stairs and parked at the back of the lot. Every little bit helps!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Welcome back cuz,
I too get up early in the mornings and use the walk away the pounds tapes. I've also walked to programs I watch on TV in the evenings. I would pick a 30 min. to hour program and just walk all through it. When the weather cooperates I will also sometimes use 30 min. of my lunch break to walk around town.

I like the idea of dancing with the kids. Mine are always asking to dance so I might try doing that for 10 or 15 minutes in the evening.

Another thing to remember is your exercise doesn't all have to come in a 30 min.+ block of time. If you can find 10 min. blocks of time here and there 3 of those is the equivilant of getting in a 30 min. workout.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:42 AM   #7  
Sweat is my friend!

Welcome back!
getfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:26 PM   #8  
.::Princess::.

S/C/G: 308/288/150

Height: 5'8"

Hello! Everyone took my ideas about getting the kids involved so, whatever... lol And even though I don't know ya from before... Welcome back!!
SnShn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:06 PM   #9  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Welcome back Jennifer!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:21 PM   #10  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Welcome back. It looks like you already have some good advise.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:08 PM   #11  

Wow, great suggestions everyone! Welcome back Chamie! Good luck, I know how difficult it can be with work and kiddos, but just do what ever it takes and you'll make it work for you.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:30 PM   #12  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Welcome back, Jennifer.

I don't have kids and still have a tough time getting structured exercise in!
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #13  

Hello and welcome back!!

I know, life is just so busy with working and children. I just finished four 12 hour shifts and I am tired. I don't have four children, I only have two (unless we count my husband - then three) so I can appreciate your dilemma.

What has worked for me is doing my exercise before everyone else gets up. That means getting to bed at a decent time so I can get enough rest. I have also included my children in activity. We actually have a chart and we use stickers - for every thirty minutes of activity per day, you get a sticker for the chart. It keeps the kids exercising and they motivate me. I do bike rides with them which doesn't put me in my cardio spot but it is still movement and that is what matters. I also exercise on my lunch hours at work.

I don't know if that helps, but know that you are not alone. One day, I was lamenting over taking time away from my kids to exercise and a very wise Grandma responded "You are taking time away to investing in staying with them longer by having a healthier life". I always think of her words and it keeps me going.

Best of luck to you and it is nice to have you back!
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:33 PM   #14  

Glad your back. I am new to the group and have been out of town with limited intenet for 3 weeks. You have gotten some great advice but I was wondering if you ever counted your step through the day. It is recommended to take 10,000 steps a day. I think that is about 5 miles. YOu might be getting more exercise than you think. I was counting my steps while on vacation until I lost my pedometer.
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:46 PM   #15  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Hello Jennifer

If you can do it, early morning is best. I stopped the early mornings since getting up before 5 when you can't get to sleep early enough is a bad thing. But I was amazed how it just doesn't cut into your day. Now that I'm doing afternoon workouts I never seem to have enough time.

Anne
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote