Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-19-2005, 03:42 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default LWL #221 19th - 25th September

Happy Monday Morning laydees! I guess you're probably all still in bed what with the time difference!

I was up with the lark this morning! 6am weights! WOOOO! Actually I was probably up before the lark, cos it was still dark when I was lifting! Then the sun rose and all was purdy!

Got nice food today, chicken chow mein and a half sugar egg custard

Then I get to go home and have a long nap before lax tonight @ 9pm! I still can't get over the lateness of training!

Happy days
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:34 AM   #2  

Hi LWL,

2F - I could not believe my eyes, the thread was started so early !

Today I ran 1 hour outside. Sunny weather out here.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:41 AM   #3  
Mel

Morning LWL
I got up early to start the thread, but it was already here so I went and had a leisurely breakfast.
Off to the gym for clients, spinning and leg day. I've never tried spinning and legs on the same day before, so you may never hear from me again

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 11:48 AM   #4  

Hi,

This is my week off in morning cardio - so I slept in the morning. I will go for a run however during lunch time. Last Friday I did my first run outdoors since April - I did not use any asthma meds and I MADE 5 km run - I was really surprized myself - obviously my morning treadmill brisk walks/short runs help!

I am planning 2 weight lifting sessions this week! I also HAVE to share that I found a way to exercise during my kids classes (which ends up in about 6 hours/week for two of them) - I do 1 hour yoga during my little daughter rythmics class (of course, nothing spiritual there as she still comes to me about every 10 min - she is only 4 y.o. and 2 hour class is a bit too long for her), and both her and I have 30 min stretch/rythmics/skipping session in the swimming pool during my son's 1 hour swimming class! I realized that I do not have to SIT and watch my kids activities, I can do my own and keep an eye on their progress! Having mommy during gymnastics class made a big change - my little daughter opened up and started to try things like throwing skipping rope up and catching it or doing splits and jumps she never attempted before She is so flexible and her age is so easy to try new stuff, and she is so excited about everything that it is hard to resist! I did not do skipping for ages and now two of us just skip in the corner of swimming pool (stretch area for club members). It makes me proud of my kids and makes them proud of me!

Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:29 PM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

hooray Sandy! Hopefully you will be teaching your little ones exercise for life! Sounds like an all-round good day.

Lacrosse for me soon - can you tell I'm excited?
Actually a bit aprehensive cos I haven't played since school and I have all the changing room fears and the worry that I'll be rubbish! Well as Monica says, "Yeah, but at least I'm doing it!"

Old 09-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #6  

I keep toying with the idea of taking up netball, our work team are desperate, but it's on swimming day, and there is the slightly small matter of me being absolutely rubbish at netball. But I get a bit lonely doing all my gym activities and swimming on my own, I am beginning to talk to myself!!!!

I had a great day, walked five miles this morning before work, and did an abs and back workout at the gym after work. My new program seems to be really working, I hurt today from Sundays legs and shoulders workout, which is a good thing. I never used to hurt with the last program cute gym instructor put together, no matter how hard I worked! He's getting tough on me, lucky me!!!!

I'm getting my measurements done tomorrow, I do hope I've shrunk!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Tips ladies? I have a bursitis in my right hip. It's been bothering me off and on since I got the video "Buns of Steel" So I've been fluffing through lifting, doing upper body or very cursory legs.

We went to see #2 son on Saturday and sitting in the car for almost 6 hours just aggravated it!

I can't do a side leg lift. If I'm lying down, I can't dig my right heel in and turn on to my right side. Backwards and forwards are OK, I can do that. Which lower body things would you try in the mean time? Hip-lite?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:47 PM   #8  
Mel

Ouch, Susan, the only thing I'd suggest is do whatever doesn't hurt. Anti-inflammatories?

I didn't get to try my full leg torture today. I had a walk-in client arrive 15 minutes before spin class started. Shoot! I already had my bike shorts on, too. He booked me for the same time next week, so I won't get to try it then either. I did do a torturous leg workout with the big boys in the afternoon, though. Next week I've got to remember to bring my camera to the gym and take pictures of us running up the hill behind the gym pulling a weight sled. I'm now up to 90 pounds plus the sled. Not real speedy, but I keep moving

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:51 AM   #9  
aka Superwoman!

Ouch Susan! I'd be lying in bed with Mr Ben and Mr Jerry by now! (only kidding - I'm far far too healthy now!!)

Mel, you are a usefull person to know! Don't let everyone know about the sled otherwise you might get lumbered pulling Santa round at Christmas!!

Well I got my leg weights in yesterday morning (I really must look at upping the weights a bit - I don't hurt like I should today!) then I spent 1 hour in a gym hall practising lacrosse - cradling left handed! I can't even cradle right handed at the moment! and some sprints and throwing and catching and then a little game (about 5 a side) in which someone got a sliced nose!

It was really girlie! I was the worst one there! and they were all young and sprightly and had obviously played loads at school! Whereas I gave it up as an "extra" after about 2 years!

But I don't care! At least I'm doing it! I feel like Monica in her tap-dancing class!

Kickboxing tonight! I hoped to have done more BK practice but half an hour on Friday was all I managed! Bad Frus! Will have to do some tomorrow - just a week and a half left till grading!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:41 AM   #10  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good going on the lax practice, 2F! And think of me at 6 am. I'm also doing a few exercises on the kitchen floor before everyone else gets up.

Life is so very busy at present that I've hardly been near a computer. I've changed gymns from the community one near work to the university one. It's got more room, more free weights, better showers, good views. And reduced rates for over-50s in the morning (um, that's me now).

Sandy - good idea to make good use of your children's classes.

Good to see everyone here. Must dash.

Love, Silverbirch.

PS Eat clean today!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:23 AM   #11  

Hi LWL,

Mel - don't overdo it with the big boys !!

SusanB - Bursitis? I also have some pain in my left hip, which I thought was bursitis. It is healing very slowly. I am now at a stage where it hurts when I run or climb the stairs, but it does not hurt when I walk. I guess I don't have it as bad as you have... For LBW I can do squats and lunges and calf raises and basically that is what I do, but I do not do a lot of them: I take the weights so high that I can do 5 - 10 reps, and I do 3 sets.

Sandy- sounds great, these workouts with the kids. This weekend I went running and my 11 year old came with me on her bike. It was nice.

Silverbirch - I hope you put a gym mat on that kitchen floor. it sounds cold and hard apart from also very early!

Today I did stationary bike 30 mins, and then UBW. I had to hurry through because i had an appointment at 9am, but I made it. Also yesterday I treated myself to some weightlift for women books at Amazon. I can't wait to get them in.

have a great day,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #12  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rabbit
I hope you put a gym mat on that kitchen floor. it sounds cold and hard apart from also very early!
Yes, I do! Because it is!

Last edited by silverbirch; 09-20-2005 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:40 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I talked to my friend the physiotherapist. He decided it was bursitis. He also suggested the anti-inflammatories, ice and stretching. However ... he wanted me to rest for a bit. I think not! I know how I regained weight before.
I'll figure out how to exercise and protect my hip too.
Thanks for the tips and encouragement folks!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:08 AM   #14  
in development

Susan - very good luck with it! Bursitis sounds so horrible as well as being horrible. Perhaps pace yourself?
Old 09-20-2005, 04:49 PM   #15  
aka Superwoman!

Default Hooray for Back Kicks!

I can do them!

I fall over at about 1 in 10 now but my form is greatly improved! HOORAH!