Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-14-2005, 12:03 AM   #1  
Registered Usher

Default A mere shadow of my former self....

Okay, that's what I hope to be. I'm new to this board, I hope I fit in alright. I gained quite a bit of weight after I was hit by a car in 1996. I put on about 70# in 3 months. I've kept that on and then some over the last 9 years and it's high time I lose some of it. My feet are flat, I can't buy off the rack clothing, and I'd like my waist to be smaller than my breasts. Call me crazy, but it's time to ditch about 85-100 lbs.

I refuse to go on a diet. I grew up in ballet theatre and the eating disorders and anything that even smack of them drive me nuts, so mostly I've used excercise and keeping my food unprocessed.

Let's see how far I get!!

Babs
babetteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:21 AM   #2  
Determined

Congratulations and good luck. There's lots of good info here, and lots of supportive people. I'm with you on the no diet. I read a lot of books and took from them what I thought seemed like the smartest and most sustainable info. Right now I'm reading Nutrition for Life, which so far has been great just for good, healthy, realistic info. Anyway, welcome!
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:39 AM   #3  
Registered Usher

nice ot see another "no-diet" person around. I was worried that the site would be just about dieting and not about the healthier, less obsessive ways of being healthy

Well I did my absolute minimum today in exercise. 10 minutes. I fiugre if I just do it every day, little amount or big it will help.

nice to meetcha!

babs
babetteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:00 AM   #4  
Lifeishort, Operaislong

Default No diet for me, thanks

I, too, am non-diet. Rather, I changed the way I eat and added exercise. Is that so wrong???

Sorry to hear about your accident. And I love "Registered Usher". heh heh
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:20 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Hye Babs Welcome!! ...

You've come to the right place for support and motivation... I am on a ''lifestyle'' quest and not a ''diet''... Ever since I don't ''diet'' , eat as unprocessed as possible, have several meals/day, exercise 1 to 2 hours/day, I've been losing weight!! Eat less + move more = weigh less...Go figure, it's not rocket science ... Join us in the Exercise Accountability thread ....

So anyways, WELCOME!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 12:19 AM   #6  

I've done it with WW, not a diet, more of a lifestyle change. Helps keep me in control. You're starting about where I did. Check out my website! www.freewebs.com/txaopi Everyone likes to see before and after pictures right? Good luck on your weight loss journey!
txaopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:13 AM   #7  
wannaBaloser

Hello,
I like this site. I like the treasure hunt it is to find anything at all i saw yesterday, lol. I am on a life-changing-pathway; not a diet. Everyone is welcome to choose whatever method they wish, just to be as helpful and supportive as they would like to receive in return. I have such a long way to go, i have broken it into segments so as not to become overwhelmed.
I am impressed with the losses reported....and ....just a tad greenish, too.(s)
I have lost 16 and am aiming for 25 more off by the end of December.(while secretly wishing for it to be 30, of course) I count calories as it is the only way that ever actually worked for me, in a lifetime of dieting. I have tried so many of the diets that came down the pike and made pie-in-the-sly promises. (which i fell for,naturally) My exercise plan is perfect, now if only I can achieve it all. Weights MTW; toning TTHSAT; cardio 5 days a week; and yoga twice a week, with stretching daily. Now doesn't it sound good? I actually manage a fair portion of it as long as I can manage. I have a few ailments that do interfere, as well as a serious case of slotlh, and and advanced condition of inertia.
peace,
wannaBa loser
wannaBaloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:19 AM   #8  

I'm terrible at diets. They always want you to eat cottage cheese and bananas...ever notice that? I really dont like either one. Don't get me wrong, if it was a choice between starvation and eating bananas or cottage cheese, I would eat them... I don't deal well with telling myself or someone else telling me that I cannot eat something. I love chocolate, I'd be sad if I couldn't eat anymore...if I had to go for a long time without it, I'd probably binge on it so to avoid that...I allow a little bit here and there. I know it makes me lose weight VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY slowly, but I try to figure out how I can eat some things that I like so I dont feel deprived. I'm willing to lose weight slowly if it means that I don't have to eat cottage cheese and bananas. So I just estiguess how many calories I need to lose weight and try to get at least 30 minutes of activity in every day...some days its Tae bo and others its walking or pilates, just something to get me moving.
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Height: 5'4"

Babs,

{{Welcome}} Car accidents are yucky - glad to hear you're able to work out. Totally agree about *diets* - for me, it's simply a matter of balance and eating the no/least processed foods, only "real foods."

I've spent the last few years eating junk, not sleeping well, menopause (started way too early) and didn't move from a reading position unless absolutely necessary. The results: I woke up fat! One day, it was impossible for me to deny anymore. Note: wannaBaloser - I just LOVE your post: "a serious case of slotlh, and and advanced condition of inertia." Darn if that doesn't describe what I had! Excellent
About a month before I landed here, I started up slowly - moving and eating. Finally, I was willing and ready to return to a better way of eating. It's all about balance, common sense.

Agree with Ilene, you're in a good place here. You'll learn different ways to burn off more calories than you consume. And we don't have to use that "d" word at all.

Take care and keep moving,
Jean
Ready2BThinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 10:05 PM   #10  
wannaBaloser

Dear Ready,
I love the phrase, 'didnt move from a reading position'. It truly describes how I spent most of a couple of decades. I think the phrase is 'fundtional depressive. I am amazed and impressed with this site. The members are so real...and I can so relate to the problems they have. I only wish i had found this site sooner. However I will avail myself of all the help and support that I can garner, while offering all that I can to anyone and to everyone. Today was a good day...so far. Stayed within my calorie allowance and managed my cardio and stretching too. If i am in that 'honeymoon phase' of a new relationship, I will take advantage of every single iota of "trying my best" that comes with it, lol
peace,
wannaBaloser
Old 09-26-2005, 05:02 PM   #11  

you have to be able to do something you can do for a lifetime. If diets worked dang America would be the slimmest nation on earth. I can eat healthy and in moderation.
I use a dumb system if I am not hungry. I don't eat. I always plan what I am going to eat ahead of time and of course I exercise my body. I'm sure you will reach your goal
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:54 AM   #12  

I'm another non-dieter. I'll tell you something though, once you start getting results and people ask you what you are doing to look so fabulous, people get really disappointed that there isn't a magic bullett, and feel slightly let down that you are just doing it the old fashioned way, with simple changes and exercise.

I have gone from being a complete couch potato to being on first name terms with the people in my gym. The instructors all come up and get advice from me!!!!! (mainly how to keep fat people motivated, although they put it nicer than that)

The fact that I love exercise has come as a complete shock to me!!!!!! I never ever knew.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:55 PM   #13  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
once you start getting results and people ask you what you are doing to look so fabulous, people get really disappointed that there isn't a magic bullet, and feel slightly let down that you are just doing it the old fashioned way, with simple changes and exercise.
Amen to that....when I give then my "eat less and exercise more" answer they get this look on their face...rather priceless when you know it's coming and are watching for it...dang i'm evil

It is encouraging when they don't get "the look" and ask for more details...those are the people who are ready to learn...lots of those people here at 3FC!! Kinda why I enjoy hanging out here.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #14  
wannaBaloser

Well here we are; another month gone and the end of another year looming closer. I had a bad week. Had a mam for a new lump and am awaiting the results. So in a mature and intelligent manner...ate everything in sight and i ...surprise...gained half a pound instead of losing my expected one or two, sigh. Do we ever learn? I am still feeling anxious, but it has abbated enough that I am back on dietary track...I hope It is my exercising that is suffering the most. Iam feeling wrung out and tired and that old depression is creeping closer.

wannaBaloser
09/29/05---DOWN 20 LBS...22lbs to go to firstgoal.....Dec30/05
10/1/5 Correction: down 19.5...22.5 to go to first goal........maybe by 12/30/5

PLAN: weights mwf, tone tths, cardio walk 6 days a week and stretching daily Try to remember to use pedometer and count all steps, try to increase the number of steps each day a bit more than the day before. 15 miles stepped--- so far this month (this is the plan—it does not always happen) Minutes / day about: 30 calorie allowance 12-1300/daily….(also does NOT always happen, lol) My main antagonists are: 1) arthritis of knees >R, back and hands, and 2) depression resulting when #1 is bad My secondary antagonists are: sloth, inertia and gluttony who arrive with whoops when #2 is bad.