Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 11:43 PM   #1  

Default wild rice?

is it Core? its sort of brown in color.......
Old 09-14-2005, 08:04 AM   #2  
Melissa

I don't think it is but I would have to look at the CFC to know for sure.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:39 AM   #3  

I didnt see it on the Core list that I have but someone told me wild rice isnt really a rice..so I was hoping. I just looked at the can and its only 56 calories for 1/2 a cup. I believe thats way less then regular rice so I can count the points. My BIL gave us a case of it (he harvests it) and its so good, and good for you. Last night I sauteed onion, celery, green pepper and garlic then threw in a can of wild rice.....was it ever good! and filling.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:20 PM   #4  
focused and aiming

patti, this sounds good. you're making me hungry. wish i had some wild rice.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:45 PM   #5  

Sandra, I checked out another site and it said wild rice is core but there was some discussion of whether it was like br. rice and only allowed once a day or whether it was unlimited. I think Im going to count it as core myself,,,it is a grain not rice. What would you do?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:37 AM   #6  
focused and aiming

patti, i think i'd try it as core but would monitor my losing. if it slowed me down, i'd stop it. let us know what you decide and how it works.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:37 AM   #7  

good idea,,,I was also thinking of using it the same way we can eat pasta or br rice.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:20 AM   #8  
Southside White Sox Fan

Patti, sorry it took me so long to respond. Wild rice is absolutely, definitely Core. It's listed in the Complete Food Companion (my bible!) as Core. 1 cup cooked is 3 points and one cup cooked brown rice is 4 points. I looked at my week one Getting Started booklet and it doesn't specifically address wild rice. If wild rice is really a grain, then I suspect that there are no limits on how you eat eat like barley. If it were me, I'd try to limit it to once a day. If you want a definitive answer, you could call the 800 WW number and ask them. I did that way back in the beginning for a couple of items. I wanted to know if Healthy Choice Split Pea and Ham was Core and I also wanted to know if the 6 potatoes in the can would keep me from having a potato serving at dinner. The answer was it's core and no the potatoes are minimal. So if you are using a bit in soup at lunch, you can probably still get away with a starch at dinner. It's good advice to monitor it and see if it affects your weight loss. Everything affects mine at the moment!
Old 09-15-2005, 10:22 AM   #9  
Melissa

See, Vickie knows everything. I forgot to look in my CFC.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:43 PM   #10  

Thanks Vickie and Melissa,,,,and I am going to keep it to once a day.
Closed Thread