Old 09-09-2005, 06:54 PM   #1  

Talking LDS Support?

Hello.. I was wondering if there are any other members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on this board?
As much as I love to speak to everyone from all faiths..and all denominations..it would be great to make some friends who are going through the struggle of loosing weight who belong to The Church.

I have only just started this jouney (again) and have only lost a few pounds..but I can't wait to keep going and I am looking forward to making a bunch of new friends!!!
Gategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:10 PM   #2  
Trying to ditch the yo-yo

Height: 5'6"

Welcome! I've been a member here for a few months now (mainly a lurker) and it's so great to see another LDS person! I've reached my first goal of 35 pounds, and am currently trying to loose another 5, but haven't been working as hard at it as I should. :P

Good luck on your weightloss journey! What are you doing to try and take it off?
Xuzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:59 AM   #3  

Hi Gategirl and Xuzi. Another LDS member here! I'd love to join you two and have an ongoing support thread on this board. I'm enroute to a Baltic cruise (and am in Boston tonight -- fight tomorrow) so I don't know how much online time I'll have over the next couple of weeks. But I'd love to offer my support to others on a weightloss journey. I've lost 45 pounds over the last year and a few months...but am in maintenance mode until after my vacation. Then gotta get diligent again and lose the last 20 to 25 pounds.

BTW, I live in Bountiful, UT and as you can tell from my screen name, I graduated from BYU.
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 01:21 AM   #4  

HI ladies,

I'm glad to see other LDS ladies here. I see a lot of other demoniations chatting but I hadn't seen any LDS before. I'm mostly on the 20somethings board but would love to join in here too (especially since I'm barely hanging on to my 20-something status *smile*).
I've lost 26 pounds this go around (lost around 10 last year and then lost my motivation) but I still have PLENTY to lose. I'm getting there slowly but surely though.

Good luck to you all and hopefully we can get a support group going!
Amber
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #5  

Default Yay!

I'm so happy to meet each of you!!!
I am 27.. I've been a member of The Church for 7 years now.. I live in AZ.. I am just starting my weight loss journey..so I have only lost 5 pounds. But that 5 pounds is a HUGE accomplishment for me! I have been dong the South Beach Diet for a week now. So I am still on phase one. I can loose up to 13 pounds in the first week...that it just to clean out my system and reduce my addictions to certain carbs. After the first two weeks you only loose 1 to 2 pounds a week...while you slowly start adding the carbs back into your diet. It's all about teaching yourself how to eat right. Which is what I desperately need, being a compulsive overeater. I also go to the gym and walk on the tredmill for 30 to 40 min. and do a half hour strength training session. I'm also going to be trying yoga for the first time this week. I need to loose around 130 pounds. My goal weight is only 120..but that's because I am a small girl.

I would love it if we could keep this thread up and really get to know eachother and become a real support for eachother.. I have a bunch of inspireing scriptures I would love to share with you if you'd like to hear them! From the Bible and the BOM.

Congrats to all of you for loosing as much weight as you have!!

BYUGRAD- You are so lucky to get to go on a cruise!!! That has always been one of my dreams!!! I'm sure you will have so much fun!

I will be back as often as I can..(once or twice every day or two) and I hope to see each one of you here again!!
*hugs*
Gategirl (Kelly)
Old 09-14-2005, 08:26 PM   #6  

I lost 10 pounds!! I have been on phase 1 of the South Beach Diet for a week now and I have lost a total of 10 pounds!!! I am so proud of myself because I am a compulsive overeater and I have managed to watch what I eat and follow the phase 1 rules which have always been so difficult before!!
I hope all of you are doing well also!
Old 09-14-2005, 09:16 PM   #7  
Peter is THE ROCK!

The Church? How is your church "The Church?
hyperduliaJMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:47 PM   #8  
Peter is THE ROCK!

Sorry, I realize that may have been offensive. This isn't the place for that sort of thing. I just never heard of the LDS church being referred to as "The Church"
hyperduliaJMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:45 AM   #9  

HyperduliaJMJ,
I don't think she was trying to say it is "The church" as in the only one that was true and correct (everyone who is in this thread are members so she wasn't trying to be a missionary or anything). She was speaking to the other members in this group who belong to the same church she does...or "the church" instead of saying "The church of Jesus Christ of Latter day saints" which is a lot to type. It's like talking to people who live next to you and saying you are going to "the park", it doesn't mean it's the only park...it's just the one you all go to. I think you are reading too much into it.

By the way, great job Gategirl! I'm trying to get back on track and losing 10 pounds right now sounds wonderful! Good luck on keeping it up.
I'm trying to keep up with my exercise and get rid of all chocolate in my house...so far I've been using the method of eating it all and I think I should change my methods!!*hehe* I'm trying to get re-hydrated and lose back some of the 2 pounds I've gained this month. We have our Primary Program in a couple of weeks and I'm stressing out so hopefully I can get my eating under control now that we have everything done that is possible to get done.
Amber
Old 09-15-2005, 09:00 PM   #10  

Talking

HyperduliaJMJ- AmberM is right... The Church fo Jesus Christ of LAtter Day Saints is alot to type out...even alot to say.. that is why people started saying "Mormon", in my opinion. I would rather just say the LDS Church or The Church... it is shorter.

AmberM- Get that chocolate out of the house!!! LOL Chocolate is my biggest weakness...well...along with cheese. I can't have it in my house or I go nuts!! And I know how hard it is not to eat when you are stressed out.
I'm sure your Primary Program will be great...try not to worry about it. Just watching all those cute kids making the effort will be enough to make everone happy and bring smiles to people's faces. Kids are so cute!

I know I would be loosing even more weight if I could get my big butt to the gym. I have a membership but haven't been able to get myself to go lately.
I get really bad cramping and back pain from endometriosis. I tend to just want to lay on the couch alot. My doc. says I should work out through the pain..but that is alot easier to say than do.

Have a great night everyone!!!!
Old 09-26-2005, 07:13 AM   #11  

Hi girls.
I'm back from my vacation / cruise. I also took a vacation from low carbing, and as a result have an extra 8 pounds to lose now!!! YIKES! This is about how much I gained last year when I went to Italy, and luckily it came off in about a week. So, after one final high-carb meal at Carnegie Deli in NYC on Friday night, I'm back low carbing.

The cruise was terrific. Since I booked the cruise through an LDS cruise travel agent, there were about 100 LDS on the cruise (including 3 ladies from my ward and the friend who went with me). The Sunday we had on board ship we had a Sacrament meeting where Michael Ballam was the speaker (and singer). It was fabulous.

Back to work today -- in about 45 minutes. But since I'm still adjusting to Mountain time, of course, I was up at 4:00 a.m. this morning.

I hope you are all doing well with your diet/eating/exercise plans.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:04 AM   #12  
IR:0, Valarie:1

Default Word of Wisdom

Hello all! I'm Valarie, a member from Atlanta, GA. I've been a member for almost 3 years, and have never been happier... with everything EXCEPT my weight! I have PCOS, and have gained a lot the last two years. Long story short, I'm hoping to have a RNY gastric bypass as soon as possible- as far as anyone can tell, it may be the only way to cut my insulin production, other than removing my pancreas

It is really nice to be able to share with other people who live the WOW- Every time comeone tells me to go high protein I have to explain why I have to eat meat sparingly, and then they tell me green tea would help, and it gets old explaining!!! Do you have the same hard time? Anyhoo, a little about me:

I'm 23, and am close to finishing my B.A. in psychology. I'm planning on getting my masters at BYU in a few years, after (hopefully!) competing in the 2008 Olympics in Judo. When I grow up I want to be a sex therapist- I especially want to work with members of the church who are preparing to marry in the form of "pre-marriage counseling." You know, getting kids ready for the world of marital sex- which I consider to be the greatest gift we were given when we came to this world! After the atonement

Anyway, I can't wait to get to know all of you better!

Valarie
Valarie250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:36 AM   #13  
IR:0, Valarie:1

Default I forgot something...

Would you all be interested in an LDS forum? I was thinking it would be a cool thing let me know and I'll ask one of the admins about it... or, if an admin happens to read this they might PM me and we'll figure something out

Valarie
Valarie250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #14  

Hi Valerie. Nice to learn a little bit about you. I started a new LDS thread a couple weeks ago -- but not much action on it. I would love for there to be a weekly thread for LDS folks.

I've come across loads of women with PCOS who have had tremendous success with low-carbing. I'm sure you've considered all of your options before thinking about surgery, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

While I don't have PCOS, I have had success with low carb. I've been a bit lax over the last couple of months (2-week european vacation which included 10-day cruise and I just returned from 5 days in NYC shopping and eating and 5 days in Phila. for work.) Hopefully I'll quickly get back into a routine so I can lose my last 20 to 25 pounds.

Good luck with you BYU plans. And congratulations on joining the church a few years back!
Old 10-15-2005, 12:05 PM   #15  

Welcome Valerie! I'm a 4 year member myself. It sounds like you have great goals! I'd post more but I have some Primary stuff to do for tomorrow! AHHHH...the Primary program always worries me to death. I will be a much happier camper tomorrow when it's over.

Good luck!

Amber