South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/193/123

Height: 5'0"

Default Caught sight of myself and... a ramble

I was kinda shocked . I have had issues with low self esteem and a negative body image but for the most part I don't usually feel that I look as big as I weigh . Well, a little earlier today I looked in the mirror and I was really quite taken aback by my appearance today. The way my arms looked and how big my hips and lower half looked in what I have on today made me see myself in a way that others probably see me. Jeeze, I'm glad I've got a pretty good sense of humor 'cause it was an eye opener. Good motivation to continue on and work hard.

I guess the reason this stuck in my head is because it made me think back to when The Biggest Loser was on. I remember thinking "I don't look like that do I?" when they showed the girls at the beginning of the season. I don't know why I thought that I didn't 'cause from the glimpse I got today I know that I look like them. Not a bad insight overall but a sobering one in a way.

Ok, so why am I rambling on about this here??? Well, I guess I was just wondering if anyone else gets the same suprise every once in a while when they see themselves...

I know that already I look better and feel better and that I am going to continue to improve. No need to let the lady in the mirror scare me.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:46 PM   #2  
Kyemom

Usually when I am naked and walk bythe mirror to get into the shower....oooooooooooowwwwww yuck!!
Old 09-09-2005, 02:17 PM   #3  

Not a regular on this forum but i just had to answer

YES! I thought it was just me. We went on holiday in a caravan and there were mirrors EVERYWHERE . When i came out of the shower and caught sight of myself i thought "who the **** is that fat, middle aged woman?" I.ve avoided looking in the mirror for at least 7 yrs (even when i brush my hair i only focus on my hair!)
I must confess i thought i had some kind of mental problem because i didn't feel as bad as the scales were telling me i should.
Since my holiday i've forced myself to look in a full length mirror everyday and that's what made me decide to lose weight for good.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:27 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yup! I frequently wonder who the fat gray-haired old lady is. Actually it's a good thing we really don't see ourselves as others see it or we'd be depressed ALL the time instead of just on occasion.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:10 PM   #5  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

See, I have the opposite problem. Could it be that because we have such low self-esteem, when we see ourselves in the mirror, we see ourselves as fatter than we really are? I have a hard time getting "fat" Lisa out of my head, even though the scale shows that I've shed the pounds. (My clothing size has too.) I don't see myself as any thinner than I was 20 lbs ago.

I'm wondering if self-esteem is making us see ourselves as fatter than we realy are, and other people are seeing how much weight we've lost. I hear about it all the time from my parents, from Molly, etc. They can tell in my face, or my butt, or my arms, sides, whatever. But I don't see it because I see myself every day.

I guess look at a "before" picture of yourself, if you have any, to make yourself feel better. It may shock you.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #6  

This weekend I am going to take a few whole body before shots so that I have something current to compare to. I have some pics from my highest weight back in 2000 but I think I need something for now. I'm also going to take my measurements this weekend so that I have those down on paper.

When I catch sight of the "bulked up for winter" me I really miss the self confidence that I had when I was smaller.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Sara, I can totally relate. shudder. God, when I catch sight of myself in a store window or mirror, I just about choke.
I need to take "before" photos, too. Thanks for the reminder, hon.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:56 PM   #8  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezle
I guess look at a "before" picture of yourself, if you have any, to make yourself feel better. It may shock you.
It's funny...I never *noticed* how big I was until I was well into my new lifestyle (and had lost about 25 lbs). Back at 189+ lbs I would look at myself in the mirror, but not see what was really there -- if that makes any sense. I didn't want to see myself as I really was. I look at some of my "before" pictures now and I just can't believe it...I'm actually glad (now) that I didn't realize how big I was back then. I knew I was fat/heavy/whatever, but I just didn't *see* HOW fat/heavy I was. I hope that makes sense...

It's weird.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:13 PM   #9  

Kate -- your pictures are wonderful!! I am inspired
Old 09-10-2005, 12:54 AM   #10  
Who needs sleep?

I'll join the "That's not ME, is it?" club, too, if you're still accepting applications!
Old 09-10-2005, 10:57 PM   #11  
Chris, a chick on track!

S/C/G: sz 24/sz 20/sz 14

Glad it's not just me
Old 09-10-2005, 11:55 PM   #12  

Thumbs up Is it just me?

this is kind of like... ever have those days where you get dressed, got your hair done, make up, etc... and you think to yourself, "I feel pretty darn cute today!!"... then, you get to the mall, walk inside and YOU KNOW all of that glass is there where the store fronts are and you say to yourself in a commanding voice, "don't look, don't look, DO NOT LOOK!!!"... yet, you look anyways.. and then all of your confidence you felt when you left the house, quickly drains from every pore in your body..leaving the fat image behind.

or is it just me?

that's ok, girls. we're all gonna have our own 'Go to the mall and LOOK' day some day.. maybe even an annual thing. i know we'll all do it! i know i don't post a lot.. but, i do read a lot and everyone here is so inspiring and reading everyone's thoughts makes a person feel and know that they aren't alone in this struggle. and, when you feel that, it does boost your confidence up somewhat.

KEEP UP THE FABULOUS WORK, GIRLS!!!!
Old 09-11-2005, 01:10 AM   #13  

At the beginning of this month I got my husband to take some full body shots of me... one front on and the other from the side. I am wearing just a bra and a pair of fitted boxers in them... and they are truly shocking. I rarely see myself full length as we just don't have the mirrors set up that way... and I was horrified of the way I looked.

I plan on taking monthly photos to show the difference... bless digital cameras though you don't need to share the pics with sales staff.

I have the photos on my computer journal.... hmm just gives me some inspiration.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:00 AM   #14  
Who needs sleep?

Photos can be a real shocker, can't they? I have very few pictures of myself that I like at all - and I think the most recent was around 10 years ago! No, I take that back - there is one DH took of me and DS when he was tiny-tiny, and the camera is angled such that my face looks MUCH slimmer and you can't see my belly fat at all - and almost no one minds pics of juicy knockers (I was nursing so they were even larger than ever)! Plus it helps that DS is looking especially cute in it - he has his tiny wee hand down my cleavage as if to say "I know where the good stuff is!" - what a funny boy!

Here's the picture; I placed it in my gallery: http://www.3fatchicks.com/member-gal...0&ppuser=42271
Old 09-11-2005, 06:58 AM   #15  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh, Heather, that's a beautiful picture!

Kate, your photos are very inspiring!
Closed Thread