General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 10:00 AM   #1  

Default Gas ~ Are You Out & Prices?

I am trying to keep up to date on everything going on lately! I am very worried not only about gas prices but also where people ran out of gas and if they are finally getting gas again.

My mom (who is suffering from lung cancer and needs to get back home soon for more treatment) is in Tennessee taking care of the closing of my grandma's (she has altimers (sp?) and moved back home in Ill.) house. I am hoping she is able to get gas so she can drive back home!!

Our gas prices here in Illinois (in our towns and surrounding towns here anyway) are at $3.19 a gallon for mid grade. And they go UP at least 3 times a day!!

Some of our gas stations are OUT of gas here already!!! One of our gas stations normally hold like 31000 gallons (I think they said gallons.. maybe pounds.. not sure but I know the numbers are right!!) and last night (early) they only had 6000 left!!

What I am not understanding though is.... we heard the refineries (sp?) that went down from Kristina only gave us 15% of our fuel. If that is the case... why are we having all of these problems with the fuel?

I think I missed a lot of news! I try to watch it all.... but can't all of the time.

I hope all are well and safe!
Old 09-03-2005, 10:18 AM   #2  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

I live in Massachusetts, and gas prices are all over the place -- from about $3.13 to $3.49. On Wednesday, I had to try 3 different gas stations before I found one that even HAD gas. I think people are topping up their tanks when they find *cheap* gas, and that's contributing to the supply problem. There was some politician on the radio last night who said NOT to do that, but I (for one) am going to keep topping up every day at the place down the road with $3.13/gallon gas. I drive 300+ miles a week and need to save every penny I can, and considering what the "politicians" have been up to this week, I ain't interested in listening to a single one of them.

I also think it's only going to get worse, and imagine that someday soon $3.13/gallon will look really cheap to us.

WOW. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not normally this negative. Jeez. I can't believe my attitude this week.

Okay...on a brighter note: I was at the gas station yesterday, and they had this sign that said "So, You Think Gas is Expensive?" Underneath was a list of products sold by the ounce and what THEY would cost if sold by the gallon. Example: Evian bottled water is like $123/gallon and Pepto-Bismol is about $45/gallon. Cute. Made me grin for about 3 seconds but that's about it.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #3  

Kate, Lol... I understand. I have seen an email with the prices like that before too. But the laugh doesn't last long.

I was thinking about having my husband top off his car everyday after work too! He has got to get to work... and we are not even close to being in walking distance or biking distance! So I thought about having him do that before we completely didn't have gas. Pres. Bush said on tv yesterday if you don't need it don't get it! Who don't need it????

I am not sure who is doing good anymore. Everyone seems to have something up there sleeve lately!

This world could not handle going without cars now!! Jobs, hospitals and more are to far away for walking!

I sure hope a resolution happens and fast.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:33 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMunday
Pres. Bush said on tv yesterday if you don't need it don't get it! Who don't need it????
I'm not REALLY gonna "go there" with this quote, cuz I suspect I'd get totally out of hand... so I'l just say "when's the last time HE had an empty gas tank?" For that matter, when's the last time he even went to a gas station? Gee, just *who* pays for his gas anyway? I wonder....

Whoops...guess I DID "go there." Done. I won't write anymore cuz I suspect some people would climb all over me and the thread would end up closed .

So I'll just repeat what I said earlier...considering what the politicians have been up to this week, I ain't interesting in listening to a single one of 'em.

Thank goodness the American PEOPLE are doing the work. Other forums I'm on are buzzing with food drives and people offering to drive supplies down to the Gulf. Says alot about who we are as a society.

So yeah, back on topic: I've seen stations out of gas. It's really hard to believe!!

Last edited by LovesBassets; 09-03-2005 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #5  

I agree!!! He probably don't remember how the gas pump works anymore! And I don't feel it will hurt him... he will always have access to the reserves that are kept.. and we pay for his travels with our taxes.

I could get on my high horse... but like you said... I don't want to make a bad board here and have it closed. I was just curious as to what was going on around the world.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:03 PM   #6  

I drive 160+ miles 5 days per week, and so does my husband. We HAVE to fill our tanks almost daily. BEFORE Katrina, we were spending $580 per month on gas. Currently, we are looking to rent a small apartment close to where we both have to travel to until my semester ends because if it gets any higher, we won't be able to afford it.

As for where the gas is, I haven't seen any shortages here YET, and the prices are hovering just under $3 at most places.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #7  
MOM of 6 great kids!

S/C/G: 272/210.6/155

Height: 5' 7"

Over here in Nevada it runs anywhere from 2.78-3.33(in my little town) One station went from 2.68 on Wed to 2.78 on Thurs and today its at 2.86. Hard telling where it will be next week!

Kathy
Old 09-04-2005, 11:01 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSandwich
I drive 160+ miles 5 days per week, and so does my husband. We HAVE to fill our tanks almost daily. BEFORE Katrina, we were spending $580 per month on gas. Currently, we are looking to rent a small apartment close to where we both have to travel to until my semester ends because if it gets any higher, we won't be able to afford it.

As for where the gas is, I haven't seen any shortages here YET, and the prices are hovering just under $3 at most places.
WOAH! That is a lot of money for gas! I cannot even imagine. I sure hope things get better before you have to rent an apartment like that.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:21 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfrog
Over here in Nevada it runs anywhere from 2.78-3.33(in my little town) One station went from 2.68 on Wed to 2.78 on Thurs and today its at 2.86. Hard telling where it will be next week!

Kathy
Right!

I am not sure where we are at now. I have not been out today. Our state is watching for price gauging (sp?) now. And we noticed that 2 gas stations DROPPED there prices yesterday!!!! So they must have been worried. It is sad that people do that kind of stuff during times like these! Like the people in our country aren't going through enough already, let alone these gas stations stealing like that. It is incredible!

Yesterday I heard (can't remember who or how I heard it) there was tons of gas coming to our country!! So the prices might drop back to normal or at least semi normal and those that ran out of gas already should be getting some. I am not sure if this is true or not. I missed the news last night. But I am hoping I heard correctly on this.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:03 PM   #10  

Monday I filled up at $2.61. Yesterday it was $3.75 at the same place. So who are the looters?

Our governor (the president's brother) says there is plenty of gas...people are just hoarding it. Huh?
Old 09-04-2005, 03:16 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinahgirl
Monday I filled up at $2.61. Yesterday it was $3.75 at the same place. So who are the looters?

Our governor (the president's brother) says there is plenty of gas...people are just hoarding it. Huh?
WOAH!!!!! Big difference!! That is terrible!

I wrote to Jeb Bush once in the past when he was having problem with large cats and Steve (tarzan) the owner in Florida. It was a long sad story. Anyway, I am not so sure I care for many of the things Jeb does.

Sometimes I wonder when our country will STOP taking care of everyone else's countries and take care of OURSELVES first!!

I am not trying to start a war on these boards with politics. Just stating opinions.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #12  

Tracy, I know what you mean about taking care of our own. It isn't that we send all of our money to other countries to help them. I truly believe that we have enough in this country to take care of everyone. It's just that certain people's priorities are out of whack.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #13  

Quote:
Tracy, I know what you mean about taking care of our own. It isn't that we send all of our money to other countries to help them. I truly believe that we have enough in this country to take care of everyone. It's just that certain people's priorities are out of whack.
EXACTLY!!! You said that so much better then I did!
Old 09-04-2005, 04:48 PM   #14  

Quote:
"So who are the looters?" I LOVE IT!!

Here's my response to all the politicians who say "stop hoarding" and "stop topping up your tanks":

By the way, the place in my town that had gas at $3.13/gallon Friday is now charging $3.20/gal. LOL...I forgot the decimal point and it said "$320/gal" for a second there! Whoopsie....THAT'D be really-not-okay!!

Last edited by LovesBassets; 09-04-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:08 PM   #15  

Kate...... your a riot lol. My husband wanted to know what the heck I was laughing about as I was reading your post lol. $3.20 was about what ours was the other day. I have not been out today... so I am not sure what it is now.
Closed Thread