Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #1  

Default Heart rate monitors: Are they worth it?

I have been thinking about getting a heart rate monitor. I have never used one in the past, but I realize that in order to actually lose weight from a work-out I need to stay in my target heart rate zone. I also have a tendency of pushing myself too hard, and I hope that by using the monitor it will be a visual indication on when I need to ease off the intensity. I have tried using the heart rate monitor on my treadmill, but it is extremely inaccurate (such as telling me my HRM is 42 after working out for 20 minutes).
I have been looking at some of the ones available. The ones that are the most accurate are expensive as well. I have tried counting my pulse, but I must counting illiterate because I keep getting it wrong.
Does anybody use a Heart Rate Monitor while working out? If so, do you like it or even find it helpful? What are some good brands to consider purchasing?
I am planning on getting one this weekend, but I would really like to get my money worth for the thing!
jld528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:29 PM   #2  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

I have a Polar one. You strap it around your chest. It comes with a watch. You turn it on and the monitor sends your heart rate to the watch. It's pretty cool and it seems to be accurate enough. It was around $40. I went with the cheapest version but I know they have more expensive ones that may do more. Good luck.
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

I would get one that times your runs too because I hate wearing a stopwatch to clock time.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I have a Polar, chest strap and watch. I love it and don't know what I would do with out it. On mine I can set my weight height and B-day so it calculates heart rate accurately and calories as well. Mine also has a stop watch. It beeps at me if I go over or under whatever percentages I set (like 60%-80% or whatever), but you can turn that off. I would be lost if I didn't have it. I think I paid around $80 for it (with my discount when I worked at the gym), maybe $100 retail. No matter what model you get, Polar is the best brand!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:22 PM   #5  

I bought a Polar FS1 (Amazon - $49), which I think is the most basic one they make. It doesn't have a stop watch, and you have to manually set where your percentages are (as opposed to doing it by weight and height). It beeps until I get to my lower percentage and then beeps again when I go above my max. At the end of my workout, it gives me my time and average heart rate.

I got it because I absolutely cannot check my heart rate manually, and because I wanted to know if I was way under or way over. I don't use it all the time anymore because with it I learned how it feels to be in my target zone.

I do like it and would highly recommend getting one.

Dinah
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #6  

I have a Polar also. And it has lots of bells and whistles..its the Keep U fit model. I bought it from sportsauthority.com using ebates and a coupon I found online.
If I were to do it again..I would buy a much simpler model. Though this is easy to use..I just dont need all the stuff on it.
slimcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:57 AM   #7  

Hi,

I have a cheap heart rate monitor, but it works fine. It is not a polar, those are much more expensive. Mine has a clock and a stopwatch and you have to set your target zone manually. I use it every time I workout and I like that.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote